Flat Earther does rocket science

Started by Hydra009, November 21, 2017, 12:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

https://apnews.com/9d8e5e8e9245412ab80f5a1f58d885b7/Self-taught-rocket-scientist-plans-to-launch-over-ghost-town

QuoteHughes is a 61-year-old limo driver who’s spent the last few years building a steam-powered rocket out of salvage parts in his garage...His first test of the rocket will also be the launch date â€" Saturday , when he straps into his homemade contraption and attempts to hurtle over the ghost town of Amboy, California. He will travel about a mile at a speed of roughly 500 mph.
QuoteHe believes what he believes, including that the Earth is flat. He knows this thought is a conundrum, given that he’s about to launch himself into the atmosphere.
Quote“I don’t believe in science,” said Hughes, whose main sponsor for the rocket is Research Flat Earth. “I know about aerodynamics and fluid dynamics and how things move through the air, about the certain size of rocket nozzles, and thrust. But that’s not science, that’s just a formula.
Umm...no, rocket science is science.  It's literally in the name.  Specifically, it's physics and physics is a field of science.

QuoteThere’s no difference between science and science fiction.”
Well, one is fictional.  Again, the name is a pretty big clue.

QuoteFollowing his jump, he said he’s going to announce his plans to leap into the race for governor of California.
*facepalm*

Gawdzilla Sama

"I don't believe in science." While building a rocket?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Luther Martini

Good Grief!!  When I first saw the headline, "This man is about to launch himself in his homemade rocket to prove the Earth is flat", I thought that it must be a satirical piece.  Evidently not.

Well, more power to him.  According to the article that I read, he expects to reach an altitude of 1800ft, and surely from his personal observation at that altitude, he will probably surmise that the Earth is, indeed, flat.  Rather than building his own rocket, I think that a more frugal expenditure of his research budget would be to hire a privately piloted small airplane, but then where is the fun and adventure in that.

If he survives the trip, perhaps he can go further into his quest for unscientific "knowledge" by mounting an expedition to the Earth's edge, and maybe even excavate down to one of the four pillars. 

Munch

Quote from: Luther Martini on November 21, 2017, 02:57:17 PM
Good Grief!!  When I first saw the headline, "This man is about to launch himself in his homemade rocket to prove the Earth is flat", I thought that it must be a satirical piece.  Evidently not.

Well, more power to him.  According to the article that I read, he expects to reach an altitude of 1800ft, and surely from his personal observation at that altitude, he will probably surmise that the Earth is, indeed, flat.  Rather than building his own rocket, I think that a more frugal expenditure of his research budget would be to hire a privately piloted small airplane, but then where is the fun and adventure in that.

If he survives the trip, perhaps he can go further into his quest for unscientific "knowledge" by mounting an expedition to the Earth's edge, and maybe even excavate down to one of the four pillars.

Even if the guy was allowed to be launched up to the international space station to look at the earth, he'd still say the earth is flat, a flat disk.

because along with everything else in their heads, perspective one of the least controversial parts of their personalities.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hakurei Reimu

Dear Flat-Earther Loons,

Your hypothesis of a flat Earth requires that your Earth has an edge. Find this edge, then we'll talk about the merits of your hypothesis.

-A Grumpy Miko
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on November 21, 2017, 05:24:51 PM
Dear Flat-Earther Loons,

Your hypothesis of a flat Earth requires that your Earth has an edge. Find this edge, then we'll talk about the merits of your hypothesis.

-A Grumpy Miko
They got that covered. The Earth is surrounded by an ice wall (which looks suspiciously like the ice shelves at Antarctica) and nobody's ever climbed that wall, or flew over it, or anything like that, so we don't know what's beyond that insurmountable barrier-like thingy. 
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Andy Griffith already did this ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHUWlEB6N1s

A reporter asked his character, why his rocket does't go fast like the ones from Nasa?  He replied in "good old boy style" that ... he wasn't in no hurry ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 21, 2017, 06:09:24 PM
They got that covered. The Earth is surrounded by an ice wall (which looks suspiciously like the ice shelves at Antarctica) and nobody's ever climbed that wall, or flew over it, or anything like that, so we don't know what's beyond that insurmountable barrier-like thingy.
I wonder if they ever look at photos of Earth from space and wonder why these photos only show some continents - never all the continents all at once - and different continents at different times.

Also, how come different countries experience sunrise and sunset at different times and not all at once?

This flat earth stuff falls apart extremely easily just given basic facts about the world and a light application of logic.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 21, 2017, 08:03:23 PM
I wonder if they ever look at photos of Earth from space and wonder why these photos only show some continents - never all the continents all at once - and different continents at different times.

Also, how come different countries experience sunrise and sunset at different times and not all at once?

This flat earth stuff falls apart extremely easily just given basic facts about the world and a light application of logic.
It's all part of the scam. Of course Big Space wants people to believe they "went into orbit"! They'd lose their funding if th truth got out.

As for the day-night thing, it's always daylight. You've been lied to your entire life.
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 21, 2017, 08:16:27 PMAs for the day-night thing, it's always daylight. You've been lied to your entire life.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 21, 2017, 12:40:58 PM
https://apnews.com/9d8e5e8e9245412ab80f5a1f58d885b7/Self-taught-rocket-scientist-plans-to-launch-over-ghost-town
Umm...no, rocket science is science.  It's literally in the name.  Specifically, it's physics and physics is a field of science.
Well, one is fictional.  Again, the name is a pretty big clue.

Following his jump, he said he’s going to announce his plans to leap into the race for governor of California.
*facepalm*
I was at Democratic dinner one time where all the Democratic candidates for one of Montana's senatorial seats showed up to speak and pitch themselves.  They were your typical politicians, all experienced and well qualified, except for one guy who reminded me of your rocket man.  The only qualification that he pitched was that he was a former alcoholic who had overcome his problem.  I guess if you can do that, you are qualified to represent a state.  In addition, he showed up wearing a clown outfit, big red round nose and all,  and walked around holding the strings of about 25 helium balloons.  He held onto them even during his speech.  I dunno, maybe he was trying to make some kind of subtle statement about his opinion of politics, but he talked like he was super serious about his campaign.  I don't recall if he actually showed up on the primary ballot or not.

SGOS

In looking at that map, the only thing I don't get is how Sara Palin could possibly see Russia from her house.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on November 21, 2017, 10:04:32 PM

In looking at that map, the only thing I don't get is how Sara Palin could possibly see Russia from her house.
Speaking of Alaska, how the hell are native Americans supposed to get from Asia to North America on that?  Or Polynesians to Hawaii?  Commodore Perry might've been in for one hell of a shock, too.

Draconic Aiur

People like this should not reproduce and disappear

bericks999

I'll support the "flat earth theory"....when I was in Iceland, working for the military, it was daylight 24 hours a day.   All the better to see those hot ass Icelandic women.....
... I swear, one day religion is going to physically poison me to death.