News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Believe in Tesla and Volt?

Started by Baruch, November 20, 2017, 06:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason78

Quote from: Cavebear on December 02, 2017, 03:08:15 AM
I do not want to be the rider in an AI car that gets confused by a reflection of sunlight or a deer running across the road.

Would you rather be the rider in a car with a human that just had their puny human senses temporarily blinded, or trust their reactions when a deer ran across the road?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Baruch

Been a programmer myself.  Everything people do is shit.  Don't let them program, don't let them drive either ;-)

Renewable housing is coming too ... grass & mud hut.  Biodegradable with each rain storm.  See, being an environmentalist is like being Gandhi.  Left-minimalist.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

PickelledEggs

I give up. Baruch is the independent version of pr. Equally detached from reality, but instead of being very racist and citing brietbart.... he is on some other type of next-level bullshit

Johan

Quote from: Cavebear on December 02, 2017, 03:08:15 AM
I do not trust AI cars.  Yet...
For sure the technology still has several years worth of development that needs to happen before we an call it done. But regardless of if you trust them or not, you can't ignore the data. And the data shows that the technology we have today will is already better and safer at driving than we as humans have ever been and will ever be.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Baruch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on December 02, 2017, 04:25:57 PM
I give up. Baruch is the independent version of pr. Equally detached from reality, but instead of being very racist and citing brietbart.... he is on some other type of next-level bullshit

You must live in a mansion, and have servants and a yacht ;-)  Yes, the nobility have no problems, everything is just swell ... just ask the Great Gatsby.

!. One of the main reasons for all-electric cars is to avoid environmental catastrophe.  Catastrophe is unavoidable, with 7+ billion people.

2. Environmentalism is VP Gore flying around in jet planes, complaining about chem-trails.  The Upper Class version of reality is no reality at all.

3. Relative to most of humanity, almost all Americans are Upper Class.  But are blissfully unaware of their state of privilege.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Johan on December 02, 2017, 06:18:25 PM
For sure the technology still has several years worth of development that needs to happen before we an call it done. But regardless of if you trust them or not, you can't ignore the data. And the data shows that the technology we have today will is already better and safer at driving than we as humans have ever been and will ever be.

Bender would say that, but then he is a drunk pile of scrap metal, isn't he?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Johan

Quote from: Baruch on December 02, 2017, 08:08:47 PM
Bender would say that, but then he is a drunk pile of scrap metal, isn't he?
The data exists and its valid. Pretending it doesn't exist doesn't help win the debate, it just makes other people think you're an asshole.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Hydra009

Quote from: Baruch on December 02, 2017, 08:07:48 PMOne of the main reasons for all-electric cars is to avoid environmental catastrophe.
That wasn't the reason they were invented in the first place, way back in 1884.  But it is true that the excessive use of fossil fuels and the serious environmental consequences of this is a big factor in the urgency of phasing out gasoline vehicles in favor of electric vehicles.

QuoteCatastrophe is unavoidable, with 7+ billion people.
It's unavoidable only if everyone adopts your attitude.  Thankfully, they don't.

Quote2. Environmentalism is VP Gore flying around in jet planes, complaining about chem-trails.
*long sigh*  Alex Jones would be an upgrade compared to the bullshit you're spewing.

QuoteThe Upper Class version of reality is no reality at all.
Predictable wild tangent.

Quote3. Relative to most of humanity, almost all Americans are Upper Class.  But are blissfully unaware of their state of privilege.
Irrelevant.

Hydra009

So, I figured out Barauch's code.

It's one to two sentences of lucidity (the only part where he's actually on-topic), an incendiary comment designed to provoke an emotional reaction, then some irrelevant tangent for 3-4 sentences, usually historical or political.  Optionally, the closer is some sort of insult or condemnation.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 02, 2017, 09:18:33 PM
So, I figured out Barauch's code.

It's one to two sentences of lucidity (the only part where he's actually on-topic), an incendiary comment designed to provoke an emotional reaction, then some irrelevant tangent for 3-4 sentences, usually historical or political.  Optionally, the closer is some sort of insult or condemnation.

Snowflakes gotta melt. I just add a little flame.  Church Of Latter-Day Hippies.  Except upper middle class attitudes (original Hippies were originally upper middle class spoiled brats).  College in the 60s (before my time though) was 100x better than it is today, cost wise.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Alternatively, it can just be complete stream of consciousness (brown, sometimes green)

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 02, 2017, 10:09:22 PM
Alternatively, it can just be complete stream of consciousness (brown, sometimes green)

Better a stream of consciousness, than stream of unconsciousness ;-)  Or stream of drug-of-choice intoxication ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Baruch on December 03, 2017, 09:26:47 AM
Better a stream of consciousness, than stream of unconsciousness ;-)  Or stream of drug-of-choice intoxication ;-))
Yeah. I wish you had a stream of consciousness, rather than your stream of drunken unconsciousness.

PickelledEggs

;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

Baruch, you are not enlightened, no matter how fucking hard you want to give us the impression that you think you are.  ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

How're those winky faces? does it make me any more lucid? Does it make me any more enlightened?  No? Didn't fucking think so.

Baruch

Fine .. people who predict the future, are hung by their own Jean Luc Petards ;-)  But I can predict that physical or economic impossibility ... is pushing a big rock up hill ... likely to be at least unrewarding, if not a failure.

Not that I don't want infinite power thru technology, and free lunches.  I just don't smoke that kind of ganja.  I am not enlightened, just not subject to marketing.

Cost = Unit cost (e.g. dollars per kilowatt-hour) * Power
Power = Energy (e.g. kilowatts)/Time (e.g. hours)
Energy = Force (e.g. resistance) * Distance (e.g. miles)

So ... more energy or delivery over shorter time ... increases cost.  Unit cost isn't zero, and there is no manifest destiny (Moore's Law) that it is going to always get smaller, or be so small that every wino on skid row can afford a car.  Cost is minimized by using your own body, but you have to feed it etc.  And it is environmentally sustainable in principle.  Using a car moving at high speed, maximizes the amount of energy required to get from point A to point B.  The distance is invariable.  A bicycle reduces resistance compared to walking.  That is the only way to reduce the energy required, relative to cars or walking.  A person on a bicycle is a little less sustainable than a person walking on their own.  Secondly, if you take more time to get from point A to point B, you are minimizing the power.

See ... algebra is real, as is Newtonian physics, and neither are your friend.

Economics aka credit vs cash?  These vehicles are losing money, per unit, unless the price is subsidized by the taxpayer (which obscures the true cost).  Only if the cost is sufficiently subsidized, will there be a large scale replacement of petroleum based vehicles (aside from the other practical difficulties).  And yes, you can just go buy a golf cart right now, that is much more affordable than a Volt or Tesla, that will get you to work.  Please do.  Or better yes, use a bicycle, or walk.  Otherwise you are just a virtue signaling cool-flashing upper class geek, being subsidized by the poor.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.