The theory of evolution has been shattered. I have reversed the theory. Nobel

Started by suni_muslim, November 20, 2017, 04:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

Quote from: suni_muslim on November 20, 2017, 04:09:59 PM
Islam is the truth. Islam is the true religion

OK, but what if you're wrong? Theists keep asking us that question, but they never seem to ask it of themselves.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Munch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 26, 2017, 04:04:47 PM
OK, but what if you're wrong? Theists keep asking us that question, but they never seem to ask it of themselves.

Well that's because in having the kind of mental gymnastics it takes to believe what your religion tells you, the same person has the same mental gymnastics in believing only their way of think is the correct and only way.

I've always looked at this kind of mental disconnect as being an undeveloped aspect of childhood, something a person should grow out of and learn the question themselves over as they grow. Cause when I see one of my nephews beating up his brother because their arguing over the right answer to who's the best cartoon character, that's what I see these kind of religious morons doing, only as adults
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 26, 2017, 01:21:43 PM
Spreading darkness, makes the status quo look enlightened in comparison.  There are people who spread darkness.  Evil is very real.  It isn't just an absence of light or goodness.

Your assuredness in good and evil amazes me sometimes.  I tend to think the some people are more altruistic than others and simply damaged.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 27, 2018, 02:53:05 PM
Your assuredness in good and evil amazes me sometimes.  I tend to think the some people are more altruistic than others and simply damaged.

You are more generous, and less metaphysical.  I would prefer to believe that darkness is absence of light.  But even that makes monotheism problematic.  I see monism, dualism, pluralism as strategies ... one can use any of them at any time.  Hence my move to pluralism, to henotheism (in a humanistic polytheistic framework).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 27, 2018, 03:04:10 PM
You are more generous, and less metaphysical.  I would prefer to believe that darkness is absence of light.  But even that makes monotheism problematic.  I see monism, dualism, pluralism as strategies ... one can use any of them at any time.  Hence my move to pluralism, to henotheism (in a humanistic polytheistic framework).

Oops, I meant to say "and that others were simply damaged"  Makes a difference.

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on December 28, 2017, 04:30:45 AM
Well that's because in having the kind of mental gymnastics it takes to believe what your religion tells you, the same person has the same mental gymnastics in believing only their way of think is the correct and only way.
Maybe not all theists, but many do exactly what they say others are doing.  I actually asked a theist the very question we are talking about here if there was a possibility that he might be wrong.  His answer was short and unequivocal, "No!"  He followed that with a laugh, not laughing at himself, mind you, but more like laughing because he had settled the debate once and for all.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on January 27, 2018, 03:08:35 PM
Maybe not all theists, but many do exactly what they say others are doing.  I actually asked a theist the very question we are talking about here if there was a possibility that he might be wrong.  His answer was short and unequivocal, "No!"  He followed that with a laugh, not laughing at himself, mind you, but more like laughing because he had settled the debate once and for all.

Certainty of conclusions is a very comforting thought to those of lazy brains and little experience at thinking beyond the sports event.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on January 27, 2018, 03:08:35 PM

Munch's quote is a paraphrase of a famous saying by Voltaire.  And we all know how well he French Revolution turned out.

Being certain doesn't take much, being right is much harder.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 27, 2018, 03:12:43 PM
Munch's quote is a paraphrase of a famous saying by Voltaire.  And we all know how well he French Revolution turned out.

Being certain doesn't take much, being right is much harder.

"Sadat we're poor, and the poor stay poor.  Sadat don't make us wait anymore..."

Jason Harvestdancer

I'm pretty good at translating gibberish into English, but this time I am completely at a loss.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

aitm

Quote from: Cavebear on December 02, 2017, 02:43:32 AM
Solomon Zorn died earlier this year...
Da fuck? How did I miss that? Or worse, if I didn't, how did I forget that? Summa bitch
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hakurei Reimu

Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Cavebear

Quote from: aitm on January 28, 2018, 03:50:46 PM
Da fuck? How did I miss that? Or worse, if I didn't, how did I forget that? Summa bitch

We were emailing.  Then he disappeared.  I got a notice...

Blackleaf

Quote from: aitm on January 28, 2018, 03:50:46 PM

It was mentioned in a thread under Announcements. I almost missed it myself.

http://atheistforums.com/index.php?topic=11792.0
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 02, 2018, 04:44:56 PM
It was mentioned in a thread under Announcements. I almost missed it myself.

http://atheistforums.com/index.php?topic=11792.0

Thank you.  I could not quite remember what notice I got.  I still have his site bookmarked...