Author Topic: When is it okay for an atheist to tell a lie?  (Read 357 times)

Online Cavebear

Re: When is it okay for an atheist to tell a lie?
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2017, 05:45:23 AM »
All religions, including Islam, are in denial about that.  They simply can't admit fallacy nor borrowing.  Voltaire said something nasty about that.

Voltaire nasty?  What a shock!  Shocked I tell you, shocked.

Speaking of not admitting fallacies, how are you on that?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!  b 1950

Offline Baruch

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2017, 10:01:40 AM »
Voltaire nasty?  What a shock!  Shocked I tell you, shocked.

Speaking of not admitting fallacies, how are you on that?

Rhetoric is a manly art, no holds barred.  Like kick boxing, not like checkers.
שלום

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2017, 10:54:23 AM »
Lying isn't acceptable unless you are in politics, where lying is rewarded.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/06/23/opinion/trumps-lies.html

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2017, 06:25:48 PM »
Very few Hindus are atheist.
Maybe that's because they have so many more Gods (millions?) to disbelieve in than we Christian atheists...
God Not Found
“Money supplants skill; it's possession allows us to become happily stupid.”
Bill McKibben, The Age of Missing Information

Offline Baruch

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2017, 09:23:26 PM »
Maybe that's because they have so many more Gods (millions?) to disbelieve in than we Christian atheists...

Well, former Christians are spoiled by the simplicity of their former religion.  Hinduism is a modern version of the paganism from which Christianity sprang.  Constantine For Dummies.
שלום

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2017, 09:40:26 PM »
It has nothing to do with being atheist or theist.

It is you value as a person, and your personal integrity.

Of course the theists have the escape clause of praying for forgiveness, absolving them of any further responsibility or guilt.  The atheist just has to suck it up and live with it.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 09:45:47 PM by Feral Atheist »
In dog beers I've only had one.

Online Cavebear

« Reply #36 on: Today at 01:32:25 AM »
It has nothing to do with being atheist or theist.

It is you value as a person, and your personal integrity.

Of course the theists have the escape clause of praying for forgiveness, absolving them of any further responsibility or guilt.  The atheist just has to suck it up and live with it.

Actually, I think theists and atheists are further apart that you realize.  Theists believe in the not real even here on Earth.  Atheists don't.  I won't give theists even that slight "escape clause" you mention.  They are just "dead wrong" (literally) and waste their only existence hoping for a new longer one. 

« Reply #37 on: Today at 02:13:32 AM »
Actually, I think theists and atheists are further apart that you realize.  Theists believe in the not real even here on Earth.  Atheists don't.  I won't give theists even that slight "escape clause" you mention.  They are just "dead wrong" (literally) and waste their only existence hoping for a new longer one.

I think Feral Atheist is saying that Christians think they can just pray for forgiveness, and that is the end of it. In contrast, we atheists have to actually do something to right our wrongs to find forgiveness. Christians use God's forgiveness as a get out of jail free card, sometimes quite literally.
"Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

Online Cavebear

« Reply #38 on: Today at 02:19:56 AM »
I think Feral Atheist is saying that Christians think they can just pray for forgiveness, and that is the end of it. In contrast, we atheists have to actually do something to right our wrongs to find forgiveness. Christians use God's forgiveness as a get out of jail free card, sometimes quite literally.

Yeah, that's got it about right.  I think if theists lived life on Earth with the intensity they give to getting to heaven, we would all be much better off.  But they can't.

I think most atheists really don't understand how dedicated most serious theists are about the afterlife.  Nothing here matters to them except getting to heaven.  And escaping hell...