When is it okay for an atheist to tell a lie?

Started by Mahmoude, November 19, 2017, 01:37:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mahmoude

Wondering if it is okay for me to tell a lie knowing I will not get caught. Like telling my dad someone stole the watch be gave me for my birthday instead of telling him that I actually lost it myself. Or cheating on the biology test at school as it is a subject that I really hate.
I believe in a God that does not exist!

pr126

It is never OK to tell a lie.
But we all do it sometime.

Baruch

Quote from: Mahmoude on November 19, 2017, 01:37:06 AM
Wondering if it is okay for me to tell a lie knowing I will not get caught. Like telling my dad someone stole the watch be gave me for my birthday instead of telling him that I actually lost it myself. Or cheating on the biology test at school as it is a subject that I really hate.

Tricky ... I would not say, never lie ... but it is easier to tell the plain truth, so you don't have to keep up the appearance of all those lies over time.  You forget which lie you told each person, and if they talk to each other, they will see the inconsistency.

Unless it will cause physical harm ... don't lie.  Yes, emotional harm is serious.  If I were your parent, I would be prouder that you had lied, then told me the truth, than if you had never lied at all.  People learn thru mistakes.  But if you don't correct the mistake, no learning has happened.

On test taking, the point isn't to get a good grade.  The point is to assess your progress.  As long as it is a valid test, then the test is good for you.  Do you not eat any vegetables?

Good luck with your dad and your school work.  It is OK not to do well in every subject or like every subject.  And make an intro post.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

We lie all the time, even to ourselves.

Yes Billy, there is a father christmas

Sure boss, I'd love to do an extra hour after work

This pie you just learned how to bake is delicious

This is the best soft drink on the market (advertised by the company selling it)
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

aitm

People lose shit all the time, even your dad. Man up, it won't be that bad unless you were just simply careless, then it is a lesson for you. As for the test, it is more of a statement that you need to cheat because you can't handle biology. As long as it is not in your future to use it, meh. But cheating can become addictive if you get rewarded for it, next thing you know you will be smoking meth down by the railroad tracks......
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hydra009

Quote from: Mahmoude on November 19, 2017, 01:37:06 AM
Lying isn't intrinsically wrong and there are certain circumstances where it's actually moral to lie - like if you're hiding a Jewish family in your attic and the Nazi authorities knock on your door and ask if you know the whereabouts of any Jews.

But as a general rule, it's not in your best interests to lie because lying can cause harm.  If you lie about the safety features of a car and someone buys it and the airbag doesn't deploy, you're a party to that outcome.  In general, lying hurts societies because it erodes the trust between people that's necessary for so much of daily life, hence why it's nearly universally discouraged.

Blackleaf

Well, according to the Holy Book of Unbelief (Red Letter Edition), chapter 352, verse 41b, "Thou shalt not weareth socks on thine feet, whether they art white or black, woolen or any other fabric, at the same time as thine sandals. Else thy be cast out of the skeptic order, for ever and ever. AMEN."

Of course, socks with sandals are a combination that only liars would use, so this verse is clearly metaphorical.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on November 19, 2017, 12:44:58 PM
Well, according to the Holy Book of Unbelief (Red Letter Edition), chapter 352, verse 41b, "Thou shalt not weareth socks on thine feet, whether they art white or black, woolen or any other fabric, at the same time as thine sandals. Else thy be cast out of the skeptic order, for ever and ever. AMEN."

Of course, socks with sandals are a combination that only liars would use, so this verse is clearly metaphorical.

Haha ... in Fall and Spring, when it is too cold to wear sandals without socks, but too warm to wear full shoes, I do wear socks with sandals ... and I am not lying.  Heretic yes, liar no.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mahmoude

Quote from: pr126 on November 19, 2017, 06:00:10 AM
It is never OK to tell a lie.
But we all do it sometime.
Why is it never okay? I mean if it does not hurt anyone, why shouldn't it be okay? The only one who knows is me and it does not bother me at all.

Mahmoude

Quote from: Baruch on November 19, 2017, 06:26:51 AM
Tricky ... I would not say, never lie ... but it is easier to tell the plain truth, so you don't have to keep up the appearance of all those lies over time.  You forget which lie you told each person, and if they talk to each other, they will see the inconsistency.

Unless it will cause physical harm ... don't lie.  Yes, emotional harm is serious.  If I were your parent, I would be prouder that you had lied, then told me the truth, than if you had never lied at all.  People learn thru mistakes.  But if you don't correct the mistake, no learning has happened.

On test taking, the point isn't to get a good grade.  The point is to assess your progress.  As long as it is a valid test, then the test is good for you.  Do you not eat any vegetables?

Good luck with your dad and your school work.  It is OK not to do well in every subject or like every subject.  And make an intro post.

He would not know that I have lied and I do not feel bad about it. How is it going to hurt him if he does not know? As for the test, this is the only time I am taking Biology and I honestly hate both the material and the teacher. I will never use this subject for the rest of my life as I cannot possibly have any use for geometry for the rest of my life and I suffered through a whole year with geometry.

Mahmoude

Quote from: Munch on November 19, 2017, 07:21:10 AM
We lie all the time, even to ourselves.

Yes Billy, there is a father christmas

Sure boss, I'd love to do an extra hour after work

This pie you just learned how to bake is delicious

This is the best soft drink on the market (advertised by the company selling it)

I guess I would call these unintentional and fantasy lies! How about intentionally lying and not feeling bad about it? I mean my dad will never know. Just like my friend who rear ended a car in the parking lot. His car got damaged too. He told his mom that someone had hit his car in the parking lot. Insurance paid for it and all is good!

Mahmoude

Quote from: aitm on November 19, 2017, 09:32:36 AM
People lose shit all the time, even your dad. Man up, it won't be that bad unless you were just simply careless, then it is a lesson for you. As for the test, it is more of a statement that you need to cheat because you can't handle biology. As long as it is not in your future to use it, meh. But cheating can become addictive if you get rewarded for it, next thing you know you will be smoking meth down by the railroad tracks......
So it is okay to cheat sometimes so long as it does not become a habit. Thanks and  I will keep that in mind.

Mahmoude

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 19, 2017, 12:25:10 PM
Lying isn't intrinsically wrong and there are certain circumstances where it's actually moral to lie - like if you're hiding a Jewish family in your attic and the Nazi authorities knock on your door and ask if you know the whereabouts of any Jews.

But as a general rule, it's not in your best interests to lie because lying can cause harm.  If you lie about the safety features of a car and someone buys it and the airbag doesn't deploy, you're a party to that outcome.  In general, lying hurts societies because it erodes the trust between people that's necessary for so much of daily life, hence why it's nearly universally discouraged.

I like your response. But I know and I know I am the only one who knows the lie. And I do not intend to make a habit of it as then I will lose track lol! Just lie once in a while to get myself out of a situation or even better not to fall into a bad situation. I really mean this should be okay!

Mahmoude

Quote from: Blackleaf on November 19, 2017, 12:44:58 PM

Lol thanks for sharing the metaphysical aspects of this.

Baruch

Quote from: Mahmoude on November 20, 2017, 10:52:11 AM
I like your response. But I know and I know I am the only one who knows the lie. And I do not intend to make a habit of it as then I will lose track lol! Just lie once in a while to get myself out of a situation or even better not to fall into a bad situation. I really mean this should be okay!

In our culture there are black lies and white lies (sorry for the color coding, it is opposite in E Asia).  Black lies cause harm, white lies do not.

Then again there are lies, damn lies and statistics.  If you sink to the bottom of humanity, expect to make a living as a statistician ;-)

What?  Still no intro?  No likes from me until you meet the minimum requirements.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.