News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Nightmare

Started by Absurd Atheist, November 17, 2017, 08:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Absurd Atheist on November 18, 2017, 03:17:32 PM
I wonder if we could see the manifestation of this type of boldness in the future where bigotry becomes a lifestyle and hate symbols are just another article of clothing.
That might be pointing out your interpretation of how an oppressor might feel about his oppression as in "it's just the way things should be and not a negative."  A lot of oppression is done out of sheer ignorance, which might not carry with it an emotional component.  Although, it's hard to imagine the KKK not being truly mean spirited at its core.  I would guess that much oppression is more thoughtless in nature.  That in itself should be serious cause for alarm, because it would mean that a lot of people would gravitate toward just ignoring a bad situation without much compassion, while giving the bigots more freedom to do harm.  A lot of bad things happen from people simply not caring or thinking about what is happening.

SGOS

My black friend was telling me one time about when he was a kid.  Some Grand Poobah of the KKK lived in his neighborhood, and my friend said that one on one, he was a real nice guy.  I still can't wrap my head around that.  I keep thinking, "Rodger, you had to have been misreading that one."  But I wasn't there, either, so I can't explain why he would think that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on November 17, 2017, 11:01:54 PMI never have monster dreams.
I almost always have monster dreams.

My personal favorite nightmare was one where I "wake up" deep in the woods next to a stream.  Sometimes, I see a fox.  Other than that, there's nothing but trees and bushes as far as the eye can see.  Then, I see a vaguely humanoid giant (roughly 10 feet tall).  Except I don't really see it - it's completely black, the sort of blackness that sucks in light - I can only see its shape and the shimmering light around its edges.  It charges me.  I die.  I wake up.  The cycle repeats.  I run, it chases me down.  I fight, it overpowers me.  I try to reason with it, it attacks.  Over and over again.  Nothing works.  I've even tried to follow the fox, but it scurries away and I eventually lose track of it.  Then, bam, monster.  I've gotten this nightmare several times.  I have never succeeded.

My best non-nightmare dream is a place I call The Nexus (Star Trek reference).  This place is entirely fluid, like an endless sea.  It's not harmful, it's actually sort of relaxing (just don't think about drowning)  You can fly/swim with your thoughts.  It took me forever to pick that up.  You don't move through three dimensions exactly, you move between thoughts - moving from one association to the next.  If you think about water, you might wind up at a beach or waterfall or lake, from the beach you can go to a desert, from the desert you can go to a pyramid, etc.  You navigate a stream of consciousness and it can take you to nice places or bad places depending on your state of mind at the time (so please, don't think about drowning).  It's possible to go anywhere there.  Real, imagined, past, future, here, far away - anywhere.  There's a lot of interesting stuff in there.  And there's also drowned people.  Lots of them.  But don't think about that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: SGOS on November 18, 2017, 04:26:45 PM
My black friend was telling me one time about when he was a kid.  Some Grand Poobah of the KKK lived in his neighborhood, and my friend said that one on one, he was a real nice guy.  I still can't wrap my head around that.  I keep thinking, "Rodger, you had to have been misreading that one."  But I wasn't there, either, so I can't explain why he would think that.

Even members of the KKK don't believe that they are racist. They think they simply see the world for what it is. They may even treat black individuals with respect while harboring hate for the group as a whole. Their cognitive dissonance leads the to consider good black people as exceptions to the norm.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

Dreams of course seldom represent reality, but they do seem to incorporate elements of reality mixed up. 

I frequently have dreams where I am not retired but planning to, am retired but back in the office hoping retire a 2nd time, or in previous offices all mixed together badly. 

The worst dreams are when I THINK I wake up and am late for work thinking "Man I have GOT to retire".  On at least one occasion, I actually got up at "the usual time" and showered and started to dress for work. 

Fortunately, it was the closet that stopped me.  My office clothes weren't there.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 26, 2017, 03:16:37 AM
Dreams of course seldom represent reality, but they do seem to incorporate elements of reality mixed up. 

I frequently have dreams where I am not retired but planning to, am retired but back in the office hoping retire a 2nd time, or in previous offices all mixed together badly. 

The worst dreams are when I THINK I wake up and am late for work thinking "Man I have GOT to retire".  On at least one occasion, I actually got up at "the usual time" and showered and started to dress for work. 

Fortunately, it was the closet that stopped me.  My office clothes weren't there.

Pyjamas aren't the usual government work clothing?  I have done the same on a weekend, I think it is Monday, but it is not.  Long holidays are more disorienting.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 18, 2017, 06:14:29 PM
I almost always have monster dreams.

My personal favorite nightmare was one where I "wake up" deep in the woods next to a stream.  Sometimes, I see a fox.  Other than that, there's nothing but trees and bushes as far as the eye can see.  Then, I see a vaguely humanoid giant (roughly 10 feet tall).  Except I don't really see it - it's completely black, the sort of blackness that sucks in light - I can only see its shape and the shimmering light around its edges.  It charges me.  I die.  I wake up.  The cycle repeats.  I run, it chases me down.  I fight, it overpowers me.  I try to reason with it, it attacks.  Over and over again.  Nothing works.  I've even tried to follow the fox, but it scurries away and I eventually lose track of it.  Then, bam, monster.  I've gotten this nightmare several times.  I have never succeeded.

My best non-nightmare dream is a place I call The Nexus (Star Trek reference).  This place is entirely fluid, like an endless sea.  It's not harmful, it's actually sort of relaxing (just don't think about drowning)  You can fly/swim with your thoughts.  It took me forever to pick that up.  You don't move through three dimensions exactly, you move between thoughts - moving from one association to the next.  If you think about water, you might wind up at a beach or waterfall or lake, from the beach you can go to a desert, from the desert you can go to a pyramid, etc.  You navigate a stream of consciousness and it can take you to nice places or bad places depending on your state of mind at the time (so please, don't think about drowning).  It's possible to go anywhere there.  Real, imagined, past, future, here, far away - anywhere.  There's a lot of interesting stuff in there.  And there's also drowned people.  Lots of them.  But don't think about that.

My nightmares either are rather realistic: running late, having my teeth fall out, failing an exam, ...
But I also sometimes have 'monster nightmares'. With me, its Always zombies, everywhere around me. There are usually other people too, not people I know but strangers. They fall left and right, consumed and eaten. I want to help them, I try, but I keep myself alive above all. I keep running and dodging and letting people die to escape untill at the end of the dream, I'm the only one left.
When they all come for me, that's most often when I wake up.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on November 27, 2017, 07:11:49 AM
My nightmares either are rather realistic: running late, having my teeth fall out, failing an exam, ...
But I also sometimes have 'monster nightmares'. With me, its Always zombies, everywhere around me. There are usually other people too, not people I know but strangers. They fall left and right, consumed and eaten. I want to help them, I try, but I keep myself alive above all. I keep running and dodging and letting people die to escape untill at the end of the dream, I'm the only one left.

Those aren't zombies, those are EU commissioners ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on November 27, 2017, 01:44:49 PM
Those aren't zombies, those are EU commissioners ;-)

That would explain why they moan "Brrrrrexitttt" instead of "Brrrrraaaiiinssss"
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on November 27, 2017, 07:11:49 AM

I am always amazed at monster dreams described by others.  I never have those.  Or maybe my "monsters" are twisted versions of real past events.  Always real people, but not acting normally.  Acting stupidly, Acting crazily.  Those are the people *I* fear.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 02, 2017, 04:26:45 AM
I am always amazed at monster dreams described by others.  I never have those.  Or maybe my "monsters" are twisted versions of real past events.  Always real people, but not acting normally.  Acting stupidly, Acting crazily.  Those are the people *I* fear.

No need to fear people, the worst they can do is torture and kill you.  Don't think I have many monster dreams, had one as a kid, like Jurassic Park, but it was stupid.  I climbed up a tree to escape a dinosaur, and he bit my leg (not high enough) and it didn't hurt.  Still like dinosaurs though.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on December 02, 2017, 12:33:41 PM
No need to fear people, the worst they can do is torture and kill you.  Don't think I have many monster dreams, had one as a kid, like Jurassic Park, but it was stupid.  I climbed up a tree to escape a dinosaur, and he bit my leg (not high enough) and it didn't hurt.  Still like dinosaurs though.

The t-rex was a reoccurring monster in my nightmares. One time I had I dream I was in this giant bunker-like room, and a dark-violet t-rex that was several stories tall was on the other side of the room. The rest of the room was virtually empty, so I had nowhere to hide. I can't remember what happened after that. In another dream, I was up in trees, and the t-rex from Jurassic Park kept poking its head out above the top of the tree line like it was looking for me. Eventually it did find me and the shock woke me up.

I've also had nightmares of a monster that can also see you if you see it, or if you swallow a pill that turned you into a lure (which my little sister swallowed without knowing what it was). There's an inescapable monster that always appears if I look outside a certain glass door when it's dark outside, and this one had super speed. There was a black cat with a long tail that always managed to be just out of view (the tail being the only thing I could catch a glimpse of) until it jumps me from behind. There's a mirror version of me, which I can sense nearby, and which follows my exact movements until it catches sight of me. This one is the one I've seen most recently, staring at me from the other side of my bedroom window.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Sal1981

You're lucky to even remember your dreams. I just lay down, and after I've woken up again, it's like I never went to bed apart from sorta rested.

SGOS

Last really bad nightmare I had was about two weeks after watching a movie called Bone Tomahawk.  A fairly good movie, but horridly grotesque and violent.  The images in my dream were taken from that movie.  It was a max gross out, and I remained in a disturbed state for an hour after I woke up.

Munch

Quote from: SGOS on December 04, 2017, 04:37:57 PM
Last really bad nightmare I had was about two weeks after watching a movie called Bone Tomahawk.  A fairly good movie, but horridly grotesque and violent.  The images in my dream were taken from that movie.  It was a max gross out, and I remained in a disturbed state for an hour after I woke up.

I've never had a nightmare based off a movie before, but had several ones almost like it was a movie. One involved being trapped in a suburban house with a serial killer and unable to escape.

as for bone tomahawk, part of me wants to watch that, I often work to find good horror movies that will genuinely scare me, but I am still to this day squeamish to blood and guts horror, its why i've never watched any of the saw movies, why it took me a while to watch all through texas chainsaw, and why I can't even watch operations on screen on people or animals.
I love psychological horror, haunting horror, even monster themed horror, but excessive blood and violence just turns me off it (unless its so over the top its just funny)
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin