News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Nightmare

Started by Absurd Atheist, November 17, 2017, 08:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Absurd Atheist

Had a strange nightmare last night.

I was running late for an important event at the university, the kind of important which is crucial for graduation, and I needed to grab something from my room. I return to my dorm and enter my room and immediately notice noises coming from my restroom. I call out and a voice answers that the individual is an RA/residence maintenance. I need to grab a few things from my room and only have a few minutes so I move quickly as the individual walks out of the restroom and I freeze.

The man is wearing glasses and casual clothing. He also is wearing a KKK hood on his head. To be fair the hood appears to be made of some burlap material but this makes the situation worse. Also, it may be pertinent to mention I'm black.

I'm stunned with so many questions flying through my head and scanning the room and his person for other people and weapons. He's unarmed and we're alone. I'm not sure what to do as I'm still in shock. I move to grab my belongings and keep up small talk as I try to leave as soon as possible. I remember he was watching a movie which oddly enough was the sequel to Warrior starring Tom Hardy, except this time there were people outside the MMA cage also wearing KKK hoods like it was nothing. We exchange some dumb comments but one exchange stood out in particular.

Him: "Yeah, my friends and I are going to a fight later on."

Me: "Yeah who are you fighting."

Him: "Snails."

Me: "Oh, haha that's weird."

Him: "Yeah, I'm pretty cynical. Hey if you and your friends would like to schedule a fight, we'd be happy to oblige."

Me: "No thanks!"

I leave finally shaken by the experience, and not even bothering to check if he has left or all my belongings remain in the room. For some reason, I went to my best friend on campus (instead of the important event) and told him and broke into tears, which is saying something as I'm almost always the badass hero in my dreams and would never be caught dead crying in front of anyone except my mother.

I guess I realized I should've left immediately and used the event as an excuse but I was in shock. I didn't know what to do honestly, as I only have his word that he's an RA and don't know his real name or identity. The scariest part is how casual he was about the encounter as if he wasn't wearing a hate symbol and the fact that he had unfettered access to my room. If I report the incident might his friends show up on my doorstep? In my bedroom? When he says "your friends" is he inviting black folk to fight with KKK members? No Thanks!!

I woke up and I swear this is the first time in my life I've been well and truly terrified by a dream, like fear pounding in my heart. I also rarely ever interpret dreams but I took this one to symbolize the invisibility of racism and how it could be anyone in any position of authority and how bold and unapologetic white nationalism has become. I've heard of racism affecting physical, emotional and mental health but never dreams. This dream also made me think of the future of racism in this country and apologetics allowing blatant hate symbols in our streets. In 10 years or so will we see masses of people walking around wearing hate symbols under free speech? What does this mean for the evolution of white violence?

Thoughts?
"To have faith is to lose your mind and to win God."
-The Sickness unto Death - 1849

Gawdzilla Sama

Dreams are random thoughts from the subconscious that the conscious tries to arrange in a logical order. They don't MEAN anything.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Absurd Atheist on November 17, 2017, 08:55:01 PM
Had a strange nightmare last night.

I was running late for an important event at the university, the kind of important which is crucial for graduation, and I needed to grab something from my room. I return to my dorm and enter my room and immediately notice noises coming from my restroom. I call out and a voice answers that the individual is an RA/residence maintenance. I need to grab a few things from my room and only have a few minutes so I move quickly as the individual walks out of the restroom and I freeze.

The man is wearing glasses and casual clothing. He also is wearing a KKK hood on his head. To be fair the hood appears to be made of some burlap material but this makes the situation worse. Also, it may be pertinent to mention I'm black.

I'm stunned with so many questions flying through my head and scanning the room and his person for other people and weapons. He's unarmed and we're alone. I'm not sure what to do as I'm still in shock. I move to grab my belongings and keep up small talk as I try to leave as soon as possible. I remember he was watching a movie which oddly enough was the sequel to Warrior starring Tom Hardy, except this time there were people outside the MMA cage also wearing KKK hoods like it was nothing. We exchange some dumb comments but one exchange stood out in particular.

Him: "Yeah, my friends and I are going to a fight later on."

Me: "Yeah who are you fighting."

Him: "Snails."

Me: "Oh, haha that's weird."

Him: "Yeah, I'm pretty cynical. Hey if you and your friends would like to schedule a fight, we'd be happy to oblige."

Me: "No thanks!"

I leave finally shaken by the experience, and not even bothering to check if he has left or all my belongings remain in the room. For some reason, I went to my best friend on campus (instead of the important event) and told him and broke into tears, which is saying something as I'm almost always the badass hero in my dreams and would never be caught dead crying in front of anyone except my mother.

I guess I realized I should've left immediately and used the event as an excuse but I was in shock. I didn't know what to do honestly, as I only have his word that he's an RA and don't know his real name or identity. The scariest part is how casual he was about the encounter as if he wasn't wearing a hate symbol and the fact that he had unfettered access to my room. If I report the incident might his friends show up on my doorstep? In my bedroom? When he says "your friends" is he inviting black folk to fight with KKK members? No Thanks!!

I woke up and I swear this is the first time in my life I've been well and truly terrified by a dream, like fear pounding in my heart. I also rarely ever interpret dreams but I took this one to symbolize the invisibility of racism and how it could be anyone in any position of authority and how bold and unapologetic white nationalism has become. I've heard of racism affecting physical, emotional and mental health but never dreams. This dream also made me think of the future of racism in this country and apologetics allowing blatant hate symbols in our streets. In 10 years or so will we see masses of people walking around wearing hate symbols under free speech? What does this mean for the evolution of white violence?

Thoughts?

First, they reflect fears..  And you have vivid dreams like I do.  I should write short stories about them.  Last night, I drove a cr a I never owned along my pre-retirement commute.  Then I was walking the commute.  Then I was in the weird car and driving into a dead end street, marked do not enter, but I did.  There was a mansion at the end of the street.  But also a car repair shop and I was in it.  I had a flat tire.  The garage was unbelievebly crowded with junk car parts.

As I tried to lift the car with a jack, the car started to fall apart.  The jack handle became flimsy, the tires got worn, and horror moviesh children started stealing things from the garage.  Everytime I tried to fix the car, there was less of it left.

By morning, all that was left was the flat tire of my car and the garage was completely empty.  I* went around demanding to know where my car was and the children were laughing at me.  Ther the place was completely empty inside and I was locked in.

Fortunately, there was a row of various shapes of glass bottles still inside and I threw them through the door windows and climbed out.  Some friend I couldn't recognize was there too.  I know it was a person from real life, but he was always behind me so I never saw his face. 

I woke up.

I never have monster dreams.  Most involve my office career.  I am unretired and confused and planning to announce my 2nd retirement.  Sometimes the bathrooms at the office don't work, have glass walls, or are the toilets are weird shapes.

No monsters though.

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Absurd Atheist

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 17, 2017, 10:02:53 PM
Dreams are random thoughts from the subconscious that the conscious tries to arrange in a logical order. They don't MEAN anything.

Normally, I'd be inclined to agree with you, but this was odd and an abnormal type of dream for me. I suppose I'm just asking what you think of my interpretation of the dream, not necessarily that it holds an inherent meaning.

Absurd Atheist

Quote from: Cavebear on November 17, 2017, 11:01:54 PM
First, they reflect fears...No monsters though.

Interesting, I typically have two types of dreams. One revolves around people and places I know in real life and random bizarre scenarios such as the classic naked at school which I had in high school mostly.

The other type as I mentioned before revolves around me fleeing armies of impossible odds and fighting viciously monsters or horrifying creatures while kicking everyone's ass. I've fled through a haunted house hiding from a Gatling-gun wielding Frankenstein and his cruel bride, and multi-tiered dimensions where each level has a different type of invincible demon(s). Or just an overwhelming number of people trying to kill me and my familiars, and I have to fight to protect them. I'm usually a capable hero in the dream world, but the odds are always insurmountable.

However, these types of dreams don't really scare me like last nights did, and have become something almost formulaic for me. I've thought greatly about short stories as well and try to record my most vivid dreams in a dream journal in the seconds after I wake up.

Blackleaf

Eeeeeeh... Dreams can tell us some things about our fears. The purpose of nightmares, after all, is to prepare us for conflicts we may encounter in real life, even if they are fantastical in nature. When those fears are reoccurring themes in your nightmares, they probably reflect on issues that preoccupy you when you're awake. For me, a common theme in my dreams to this day is the way all of the other characters in my dreams basically ignore me. They will not help when I ask for help. They will barely acknowledge me most of the time. There can be a monster chasing me around, and they will not respond to my cries for help at all. Of course, this reflects a perception of mine that others do not value my input, and that I'm virtually invisible to others. I mean seriously, I'm about six feet tall, but I was sitting right next to this guy once when he asked where I was.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

Quote from: Absurd Atheist on November 17, 2017, 11:19:54 PM
Normally, I'd be inclined to agree with you, but this was odd and an abnormal type of dream for me. I suppose I'm just asking what you think of my interpretation of the dream, not necessarily that it holds an inherent meaning.

OK...

You are running late. That is a general fear.  There is something wrong about your room (familiar territory).  Do you actually have a restroom in your room?  I sure didn't.

A stranger is in your room.  Dislike your roommate?  I did.  Crazy dude senior who could sleep through a buzzing alarm clock that drove me crazy from the loudness. 

So you have or had roommate issues.

"The man is wearing glasses and casual clothing. He also is wearing a KKK hood on his head. To be fair the hood appears to be made of some burlap material but this makes the situation worse. Also, it may be pertinent to mention I'm black."

Sounds like the nut psychologist from Batman and minority non-acceptance fears. 

"I move to grab my belongings and keep up small talk as I try to leave as soon as possible. "

You are uncomfortable in college among strangers.

"Me: "Yeah who are you fighting.  Him: "Snails."

The absurdity of the situation...

"Him: "Yeah, I'm pretty cynical. Hey if you and your friends would like to schedule a fight, we'd be happy to oblige.""

A fear that fighting is routine.  An actually friendly enemy.  Politely offers a fight you don't want.  Might be political...

"For some reason, I went to my best friend on campus (instead of the important event) and told him and broke into tears"

A release of fear in the presence of a friend.  And did you actually have that friend?  Or are you still holding in some tears?

"would never be caught dead crying in front of anyone except my mother"

Why just your Mother.  What about that friend you mentioned?

"as I only have his word that he's an RA and don't know his real name or identity. The scariest part is how casual he was about the encounter as if he wasn't wearing a hate symbol and the fact that he had unfettered access to my room. "

Oh shit,  Why would the RA have access to your room?  Something happened and you don't want to remember him.

Racist, sexist, abusive? 

Wow.

Well, you asked for thoughts...

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

You wish.  Nihilists (not you?) would say that waking thoughts don't mean anything either.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Absurd Atheist on November 17, 2017, 11:19:54 PM

i think it is in the interpretation part, often while it is happening, is the dodgy part.  Freud wrote a book on dream interpretation.  You aren't really functional at that point, assuming you even are when awake (been drinking?).  I have some vivid dreams too, some quite detailed, but short.  Sometimes I wake up during them, and start applying a more elaborate interpretation that I would had I stayed asleep.  My advice ... if you have a nightmare, train yourself to wake up.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on November 18, 2017, 02:48:13 AM
i think it is in the interpretation part, often while it is happening, is the dodgy part.  Freud wrote a book on dream interpretation.  You aren't really functional at that point, assuming you even are when awake (been drinking?).  I have some vivid dreams too, some quite detailed, but short.  Sometimes I wake up during them, and start applying a more elaborate interpretation that I would had I stayed asleep.  My advice ... if you have a nightmare, train yourself to wake up.

Even as a lucid dreamer, I've never been able to will myself awake during nightmares. I can feel the muscles in my eyes moving as I try to open them, but it doesn't work. Actually, that's probably a good thing, because the one time my eyes did open in the middle of a dream, I had sleep paralysis and started hallucinating. There have been a few times when my dreams convinced me I've woken up, though. Things getting confusing then, as I wake up in my bed and can't really tell if it's for real this time, or just another dream. The one thing I've found that actually works in waking me up consistently is when my brain gets enough excitement or arousal (as in mental arousal) to jolt me awake. I've noticed that whether my dream excites me in a good way or a bad way, my dream typically ends pretty quick. So rather than running from the monster in your nightmares, the better solution may be to run straight to it. Either you'll wake up when the monster "kills you," or you'll stop being afraid of it and you'll transition from nightmare to normal dream.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

I think the dream probably means something, even though it's just random bits of subconscious thoughts.  But your interpretation, correct of not, absolutely does mean something.  It doesn't predict the future or anything like that, but it gives you some insight about things that are meaningful to you.  Fears are meaningful things.  The fear might be irrational, but the fact that you have fears, or at a minimum, just thoughts about your life IS important.

This whole reawakening of racism in the US is meaningful.  It may or may not be a fear you are suppressing, but for me this current resurgence of racism is a fear of my own that I'm fully aware of.  I'm fearful, because I have no idea if it's the last dying attempt of bigots to assert themselves, or an actual reawakening of something that is nothing short of horrid in the American psyche.  I've seen too much shit in my life to make those kinds of assumptions about where we are heading.  I want America to succeed, to be something noble and worth having, but I'm not taking any bets on that.

There are just too many negative forces at play.  Democracy might just turn out to be an experiment that fails.  I don't take anything for granted.  We can fuck this all up without even trying very hard.

Absurd Atheist

Quote from: SGOS on November 18, 2017, 02:41:55 PM
I think the dream probably means something, even though it's just random bits of subconscious thoughts.  But your interpretation, correct of not, absolutely does mean something.  It doesn't predict the future or anything like that, but it gives you some insight about things that are meaningful to you.  Fears are meaningful things.  The fear might be irrational, but the fact that you have fears, or at a minimum, just thoughts about your life IS important.

This whole reawakening of racism in the US is meaningful.  It may or may not be a fear you are suppressing, but for me this current resurgence of racism is a fear of my own that I'm fully aware of.  I'm fearful, because I have no idea if it's the last dying attempt of bigots to assert themselves, or an actual reawakening of something that is nothing short of horrid in the American psyche.  I've seen too much shit in my life to make those kinds of assumptions about where we are heading.  I want America to succeed, to be something noble and worth having, but I'm not taking any bets on that.

There are just too many negative forces at play.  Democracy might just turn out to be an experiment that fails.  I don't take anything for granted.  We can fuck this all up without even trying very hard.

I've been thinking a lot about the future as well as we certainly live in absurd times. The absurdity of the dream lies in the casual manner the stranger was speaking as though he wasn't wearing a KKK hood on his head or invading my personal space. I wonder if we could see the manifestation of this type of boldness in the future where bigotry becomes a lifestyle and hate symbols are just another article of clothing.

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on November 18, 2017, 11:56:17 AM
Even as a lucid dreamer, I've never been able to will myself awake during nightmares. I can feel the muscles in my eyes moving as I try to open them, but it doesn't work. Actually, that's probably a good thing, because the one time my eyes did open in the middle of a dream, I had sleep paralysis and started hallucinating. There have been a few times when my dreams convinced me I've woken up, though. Things getting confusing then, as I wake up in my bed and can't really tell if it's for real this time, or just another dream. The one thing I've found that actually works in waking me up consistently is when my brain gets enough excitement or arousal (as in mental arousal) to jolt me awake. I've noticed that whether my dream excites me in a good way or a bad way, my dream typically ends pretty quick. So rather than running from the monster in your nightmares, the better solution may be to run straight to it. Either you'll wake up when the monster "kills you," or you'll stop being afraid of it and you'll transition from nightmare to normal dream.

Yes, waking up into another dream is weird.  Did it at least once.  Realized ... this isn't my bedroom.

Arousal often will wake me up, but arousal doesn't happen as much as it used to.  My cat gets me awake frequently ... she helps me avoid night-cats instead of night-mares ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Absurd Atheist on November 18, 2017, 03:17:32 PM
I've been thinking a lot about the future as well as we certainly live in absurd times. The absurdity of the dream lies in the casual manner the stranger was speaking as though he wasn't wearing a KKK hood on his head or invading my personal space. I wonder if we could see the manifestation of this type of boldness in the future where bigotry becomes a lifestyle and hate symbols are just another article of clothing.

I don't think we ever left that era.  The dominance of hippies in the Boomer generation was fleeting at best.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Absurd Atheist on November 18, 2017, 03:17:32 PM
The absurdity of the dream lies in the casual manner the stranger was speaking as though he wasn't wearing a KKK hood on his head or invading my personal space.
I experience that quite often in dreams.  Something that in real life that would carry huge emotional affect is dealt with in the dream as casual or even normal.  I don't know why that happens.  Maybe because the dream is just spewing out random scenarios.  Sometimes, but not often, my dreams are terrifying.  Usually though, the emotional components are diminished.