Secretary of Interior lifts ban of importation of African animals

Started by fencerider, November 17, 2017, 12:15:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fencerider

It wasnt enough for the Sec. of Interior approve oil drilling near Native American burial sites. It wasnt enough to reopen Alaska to drilling. Now he is going to lift all bans on importing bodies or body parts of African lions and African Elephants (both are endangered species). There was never a good reason for anyone to be putting an elephant head or stuffed lion on their wall.

I wonder if that has something to do with Trump Jr being an avid safari hunter.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/nov/16/lions-elephants-restrictions-african-hunting-trophies-trump-administration
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

SGOS

I'm not surprised.  Being a jerk plays well with the jerk elements of society.  Everyone needs an ashtray made out of a gorilla paw, and your bitch will get all turned on if you give her an ivory bracelet.  Show her how important she is to you by contributing to the extinction of an endangered species.  It's not the gift that counts.  It's the meaning behind it.  Show her you're a real man, and not just some wuss who gives a shit.

Hydra009

I just heard about this.  I know the Republicans haven't been super into conservation lately, but this is a shocking new low.  You'd think at the very least, they'd want to spare their mascot from extinction.  They say that elephants never forget.  Well, neither should American voters.

trdsf

Quote from: fencerider on November 17, 2017, 12:15:03 AM
I wonder if that has something to do with Trump Jr being an avid safari hunter.
Oh, I'm sure that's only a coincidence.

Right now, the only elephant that deserves extinction is the Republican Party.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on November 17, 2017, 12:10:20 PM
Oh, I'm sure that's only a coincidence.

Right now, the only elephant that deserves extinction is the Republican Party.

And worth keeping in mind that the GOP elephant (and the Democrat donkey) was/were originally a symbol of sarcasm...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Hydra009

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/11/19/trump-calls-elephant-hunting-a-horror-show-and-suggests-hell-enforce-a-ban-on-trophy-imports/?utm_term=.293eadbc8369

Looks like Trump may decide to not make a really bad decision.  I'd give him props for this, but you don't get props for not crapping the bed.

QuoteHe suggested that he does not buy the argument advanced by pro-hunting advocates within his Interior Department that the imports help protect endangered African elephants.
The Orange Grinch's IQ grew two points that day...

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 20, 2017, 05:51:12 PM
Looks like Trump may decide to not make a really bad decision.  I'd give him props for this, but you don't get props for not crapping the bed.
I am surprised.

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 20, 2017, 05:51:12 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/11/19/trump-calls-elephant-hunting-a-horror-show-and-suggests-hell-enforce-a-ban-on-trophy-imports/?utm_term=.293eadbc8369

That still doesn't move it out of negative numbers.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

fencerider

Seriously? Are you kidding? Sequoia National Forest is also on the chopping block? I mean Trump wants all the national parks cut down to size. Sick prick

https://sierraclub.org/sierra/giant-sequoia-national-monument-next-hit-list
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on November 20, 2017, 09:23:42 PM
Seriously? Are you kidding? Sequoia National Forest is also on the chopping block? I mean Trump wants all the national parks cut down to size. Sick prick

https://sierraclub.org/sierra/giant-sequoia-national-monument-next-hit-list

They all needed to be turned into gated communities for the very rich ... Bohemian Grove and all that.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

I enjoyed googling Bohemian Grove,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohemian_Grove

a playground for the elite where they can hang out and act like frat rats for 3 weeks.  You would think that the Department of Agriculture and the Forest Service would show them special consideration, and I think they often do.  But occasionally the culprits themselves are attacked by the feller bunchers, although back then, it was more likely common tree fellers equipped with less lethal chain saws.  But the end result is the same.

I enjoyed the legal battle as they defended their play area.  In fact, there is no reason why they should not be entitled to their privately owned play area, but these are the same people that will piss in everyone else's back yard if there is a profit to be made.  And I've seen the same thing in my home town when the Forest Service inadvertently planned clear cutting near a neighborhood of vocal activist resource extractors, who screamed like a bunch of gut shot tree huggers when their own little havens of tranquility were falling to the sword of logging.

I actually don't get much satisfaction over seeing this happen to anyone.  It is horrifying to watch the combined forces of industry and government when they send tanks and artillery  skidders and dozers in anyone's direction, or just generally just across the landscape of public land that ends up looking like General Sherman had passed through on his way to Savannah.

Hakurei Reimu

Teach wild animals to hunt and shoot humans and give them guns and ammo. Even the playing field. It's 'MURICAN!
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

trdsf

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on November 21, 2017, 05:47:26 PM
Teach wild animals to hunt and shoot humans and give them guns and ammo. Even the playing field. It's 'MURICAN!
So, it's the Second Amendment right to arm bears?

fencerider

Cavebear

Trump always supports his family and family wanted to kill elephants.  But he will always back down when he gains no political points for a decision.  One day, elephant tusks are "hugely cool", after criticism, "NOT!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!