News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Apu is offensive!

Started by Munch, November 16, 2017, 06:57:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Ah yes ... it does come down to power.  Go get some ... then show some restraint, or not.  If you don't like people who have power now, you are just another sans-cullote.  Napoleon will come along and disperse you, from the streets of Paris, with grapeshot.  In his case, conservatives ... but grapeshot doesn't respect ideology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzYrLNcspNU
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

I think it is worth noting that Apu is one of the few characters who represents a race on The Simpsons and rather positively.  He might be the "least jerk" of the show.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on November 18, 2017, 03:56:32 AM
I think it is worth noting that Apu is one of the few characters who represents a race on The Simpsons and rather positively.  He might be the "least jerk" of the show.
Most of the other characters with few exceptions like Lisa are worthy of actual contempt and they are all stereotypes of various aspects of our society, so why get bent out of shape over the stereotype of Apu, a guy unfamiliar with western culture, who is just fumbling to find his way?

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on November 18, 2017, 10:03:46 AM
Most of the other characters with few exceptions like Lisa are worthy of actual contempt and they are all stereotypes of various aspects of our society, so why get bent out of shape over the stereotype of Apu, a guy unfamiliar with western culture, who is just fumbling to find his way?

It is no longer cool to be sympathetic to Italian or Irish-Americans.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on November 18, 2017, 10:13:31 AM
It is no longer cool to be sympathetic to Italian or Irish-Americans.
Right, they have been assimilated into the whole of western culture and any idiosyncrasies they may still have are simply accepted as "Western" making them familiar and no longer in need of special considerations.  I won't try to diminish the efforts of the SJWs trying to defend minorities.  In many ways the SJWs make a contribution to tolerance, but when taken to extremes the process becomes a two edged sword that can also create an environment of contempt where good intentions start to backfire.  I don't have a solution for that.  Mankind is in a struggle with itself.  It's just something we get ourselves into.  We are still tribal in our nature, and I think it's probably genetic, and we don't get to evolve ourselves out of that.  Evolution is hit and miss and never results in perfection, only survival or extinction. 

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on November 18, 2017, 11:32:06 AM
Quote from: SGOS on November 18, 2017, 10:03:46 AM
like Lisa [/spoiler]

nah I hold her with contempt too :3
Yeah, the little holier than thou smarty pants.

Shiranu

I would just like to point out the original article was written by actual Indians, not SJWs. This isn't the majority perceiving offense where there is none, this is the offended saying this is offensive.

And yet again, I will clarify I don't necessarily agree that the character is only a stereotYpe having not watched enough Simpson's, but it is important to take the opinion of the people who are the butt of the joke seriously.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mermaid

I always thought Apu was a racist depiction.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on November 18, 2017, 11:58:22 AM
I would just like to point out the original article was written by actual Indians, not SJWs. This isn't the majority perceiving offense where there is none, this is the offended saying this is offensive.

And yet again, I will clarify I don't necessarily agree that the character is only a stereotYpe having not watched enough Simpson's, but it is important to take the opinion of the people who are the butt of the joke seriously.

The Indians can just hope to reincarnate as NYC Jewish bankers ;-)

Anyway, Raj from BBT ... is a better stereotype.  Also Asok from Dilbert cartoons.  All Indians are geniuses.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

After watching YouTube clips of him, I change my position to he is definitely in poor taste, particularly since he is the animated equivalent of black face (Brown face?).

Still not my place to call him offensive, but certainly poor taste and borderline racist at multiple times.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on November 18, 2017, 08:33:06 PM
After watching YouTube clips of him, I change my position to he is definitely in poor taste, particularly since he is the animated equivalent of black face (Brown face?).

Still not my place to call him offensive, but certainly poor taste and borderline racist at multiple times.

Your new avatar is bonnie ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

One could consider Apu the only real individual in the Simpsons' world of Yellows...

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 26, 2017, 05:09:25 AM
One could consider Apu the only real individual in the Simpsons' world of Yellows...

don't forget Lou, Julius M. Hibbert, Carl, Judge Roy Snyder
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on November 26, 2017, 05:34:35 AM
don't forget Lou, Julius M. Hibbert, Carl, Judge Roy Snyder

OK, "one of"...