News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Apu is offensive!

Started by Munch, November 16, 2017, 06:57:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: PickelledEggs on July 25, 2018, 09:11:08 PM
So no, Apu isn't doing any damage to anything. It's just a fucking character. In fact, it's probably one of the least offensive characters in that show
Exactly.  He is a likeable guy.  He's just a caricature of a type we are all familiar with.  Also, I live in the boondocks 20 miles from the nearest groceries, but we do have a local convenience store/gas station.  It's the only store that sells anything at all around here, and It's run by an Indian family. 

SGOS

How about the Muppets and the Swedish Chef.  Does he offend or delight the Swedes?

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on July 25, 2018, 10:44:49 PM
How about the Muppets and the Swedish Chef.  Does he offend or delight the Swedes?
Power plus privilege, man.

*tongue firmly in cheek*

PickelledEggs

How about Mario wearing a Sombrero in the new super Mario?

Everyone in North America cries "offensive!" but every single one of my friends that have lived in Mexico their entire lives (I know a lot in the art community) think it's great and also think the US is really stupid for being offended at it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hakurei Reimu

Vicarious offense is stupid, and offensive in itself.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Munch

ah the easily offended for everyone else that isn't them generation.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Shiranu

Quote from: Munch on July 26, 2018, 02:32:20 PM

So Indians aren't Indians...

Makes sense
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

Quote from: Shiranu on July 26, 2018, 03:56:08 PM

Makes sense

so does that mean Indians who aren't offended by apu aren't real Indians?

wonder what the uncle tom version of an Indian is.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Munch on July 26, 2018, 02:32:20 PM
Eh, that is every generation. It just becomes about a different set of things

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Shiranu on July 26, 2018, 03:56:08 PM

Makes sense
What about indians that work convenience stores that have thick Apu-like accents?... which is basically all the people that work convenience stores by me?

Shiranu

Quote from: Munch on July 26, 2018, 04:03:01 PM
so does that mean Indians who aren't offended by apu aren't real Indians?

No.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

Quote from: PickelledEggs on July 26, 2018, 04:54:54 PM
What about indians that work convenience stores that have thick Apu-like accents?... which is basically all the people that work convenience stores by me?

What about them?

GrinningYMIR

Apu is funny. And a nice character. I don’t care if a few people find it offensive, just like you don’t care that people don’t find it offensive or don’t care. Everyone’s entitled to their own opinion. Mine is leave him how he is. He’s amusing as he is. And don’t drown the opinions of people who like him out.

In summary: no one cares.
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: PickelledEggs on July 26, 2018, 04:53:37 PM
Eh, that is every generation. It just becomes about a different set of things

He means the generation of today full of SJW's that cry and moan at everything. This is very different from other generations because they literately get pissy from something like the color blue.

Shiranu

QuoteIn summary: no one cares.

Obviously. That's why we are 70-something posts in, and the majority of the posts haven't even been by people who find him offensive.