News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Cormac McCarthy quote ...

Started by Baruch, November 13, 2017, 06:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

“The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it all from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning.

The universe is no narrow thing and the order within it is not constrained by any latitude in its conception to repeat what exists in one part in any other part. Even in this world more things exist without our knowledge than with it and the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way. For existence has its own order and that no man's mind can compass, that mind itself being but a fact among others.”
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on November 13, 2017, 06:10:12 PM
“The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it all from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning.

The universe is no narrow thing and the order within it is not constrained by any latitude in its conception to repeat what exists in one part in any other part. Even in this world more things exist without our knowledge than with it and the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way. For existence has its own order and that no man's mind can compass, that mind itself being but a fact among others.”

Interesting stream-of-thought.  Would you like to put that in reality words?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

First a rhetorical POV:  All writing is random.  Statistics are the only reality.  Because you or I can see a dragon in a cloud on a lazy afternoon, we can imagine, rationalize, that these random letters make up words, that random words make up sentences etc.  We are the one's modeling, the model isn't in the superficial form (Aristotle) or in some unreachable Truth (Plato).  The model is in a human head (however poor that head may be).

What is actually going on is communication between living sentient beings?  I have an experience, and I can make a semaphore of symbols to share that experience with you.  If we share the same semaphore system, more or less, however you can interpret what I share literally at first.  But if the experience that is represented by the semaphore, isn't something in your experience, then while you can see letters, words, sentences etc .. it won't have meaning.  The string of letters and its abstract structure is all there is.  Literalism is two non-sentients having a conversation ;-)  If we do have an shared experience, even indirectly (we both have gone fishing, but never together) then what I semaphore to you will have meaning.  If I talk about baiting a hook, you will know what I mean-ing.  We will have reduced the degree of separation that makes us distinct.  Autistic people can't do that.  They are either literal, there is nothing beyond the fact of the symbols, or they can't even articulate human experience to themselves.

The weakness of Information Theory is this ... that communication meaning lies in the semaphores, not in the sender or receiver.  A brilliant abstraction, but as usual, throws the baby out with the bath water.  The only way a Vulcan could function in reality, is to so arrange their local reality to match their particular cultural logic.  A kind of ghetto.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.