Tesco's new christmas advert 2017 panned

Started by Munch, November 13, 2017, 06:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

This kinda took me by surprise, because watching this and other christmas adverts, I didn't really think there was anything that special about the advert. After seeing the John Lewis advert about the cuddly monster under the kids bed, I liked that one. This one to me though just seemed kinda meh, typical christmas 'family stress' kind of advert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSUkAURUU1I

Then you look at the downvotes for the advert, far outweighing the upvotes, and reading the comments, the controversy is based on people saying since it features a muslim family, the women in headscarfs and then at the dining table, that it promoted the idea that muslims celebrate christmas like eveyrone else, when they as a religion don't do that.
It also reminded people how tescos were secretly selling Halal meat in their stores at one point recently, fueling more disdain for the advert.

It didn't really cross my mind watching it the first time, I just figured it was some women in headscarfs, which, I dunno do women of middle eastern origin in the uk wear those even if they don't follow islam? I remember my cousins boyfriend at a family get together some years ago, whos of middle eastern decent, and he celebrated christmas with us just the same.

Maybe its the hashtag being #everyonewelcome giving over an idea an open door migration, maybe if they left that out it wouldn't have gotten such disdain as it has, because the advert itself didn't really imply much else but the standard crap we face as christmas.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on November 13, 2017, 07:06:17 AM
I thought the English ate Christmas goose.

To fatty, tried it once, I'll stick to turkey.

Gawdzilla Sama

Haven't watched the advert, but is there no chance they were having Christian-ish guests for Xmas?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 13, 2017, 09:38:57 AM
Haven't watched the advert, but is there no chance they were having Christian-ish guests for Xmas?

Literally it's like 2 seconds of women with headscarves and 1 second of a Muslim man sat at a table.

Also I put the advert up, watch it, watch watch watch, consume media!!!! Drink the Starbucks!!!

Hydra009

I don't get the controversy.  It's just families making turkey and doing family stuff.  Seems fairly innocuous to me.

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 13, 2017, 01:18:55 PM
I don't get the controversy.  It's just families making turkey and doing family stuff.  Seems fairly innocuous to me.

that was my feeling, and honestly despite the outrage over whatever, its not going to effect tesco sales over christmas in any way.

But reading the comments does shed some light on it.

QuoteThis is so pathetically shoehorned in. "Everyone's Welcome", basically saying we know there is a lot of tension in the country right now, so we're going to exploit that to get everyone to buy our shit food. Everyone should feel offended by marketing like this.

QuoteBoycotting Tesco. Incredible to see how tolerance only goes one way, the westerners have to be tolerant towards every single person who comes from the outside or has a  very different culture  but no one asks those people to be tolerant towards the westerners...we have to accept these middle east micro nations being built in europe (ghettos) and over there if you even try to wear a Real Madrid t-shirt (which has a cross on the crown symbol) they get offended and attack you...so imagine what would happen if you tried to celebrate Christmas there or even build a separate community...you would get slaughtered. So who's really intolerant? A lot of hipocrisy going on

QuoteAbsolutely no Christian symbolism whatsoever yet you're happy to portray women & girls wearing the hijab which is both a religious and political symbol. And you're fantasising about them celebrating Christmas too. Up yours, Tesco.

QuoteLook at this murky attempt to cash in on the refugees welcome nonsense! I won't be shopping with Tesco this Christmas.

QuoteI'd rather buy ethical (ie. non-Halal) meat from my local butcher or LIDL (who claim all their meat is non-Halal).   While I'm there I'll buy everything else I need and avoid Tesco entirely due to their lack of ethics, putting profit before animal welfare.
If you are against fox-hunting because of animal welfare then you should also be against Halal & Kosher slaughter because it's the same principle: Animal Welfare > Cultural Traditions.  As civilised humans we recognise that an animal's suffering is more important than our own personal faiths, there is no excuse for not adapting our behaviour towards more humane practices in animal welfare.  If we eat meat we should treat the animal with respect. Accepting Halal meat in UK is regressive and barbaric, Tesco have demonstrated their ethics and should be entirely avoided until they stop this immoral racket.
https://www.tescoplc.com/little-helps-plan/reports-policies-and-disclosure/religious-slaughter-policy/

QuoteGetting really sick of this now. The constant, in your face, ham-fisted attempts at social engineering is only breeding more resentment the the native populace.

Hydra009

Seems like everyone's eager to read a lot more into it than is apparent in order to tie it to their personal hot-button issue.

Munch

We're always have a large group of people looking for controversy around this time of year as it is.

Shiranu

>mfw boycotting halal because it's "unethical", then goes on to say she will go buy western slaughtered style meat instead.

OhSweetSummerChild.jpeg
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on November 13, 2017, 05:29:16 PM
>mfw boycotting halal because it's "unethical", then goes on to say she will go buy western slaughtered style meat instead.

OhSweetSummerChild.jpeg

i don't think the quote is from a vegetarian.  Probably someone who recognizes that buying oil or gas from the Mideast is unethical, treasonous, suicidal.  Kosher is as good as halal, and supports psychos in Israel.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

I didn't understand the controversy about the ad thinking it was about a Thanksgiving dinner among people fitting into the US culture.

But yes that line about CHRISTmas was annoying at the end.  And it wasn't necessary.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 15, 2017, 04:52:17 AM
I didn't understand the controversy about the ad thinking it was about a Thanksgiving dinner among people fitting into the US culture.

But yes that line about CHRISTmas was annoying at the end.  And it wasn't necessary.

The Brits might not be as homogenized and commercialized as he Americans.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.