News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Junji ito (Horror comics)

Started by Munch, November 12, 2017, 08:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

I first thought of putting this in anime, but thinking about his work, I'd consider junji itos work beyond just the realm of japanese animation or drawings, since for one his work isn't animated but in comics, and second his work reaches beyond the anime genre.

I've been into comic books for years, and into horror for a while, but never really looked into the horror side of comic books, since outside of weird tales, some classic movie monster interpretations via comics, theres never really been much of a focus on telling really good horror stories through the media of comics. Unlike in film and tv, where you can apply aspects of horror to filming through motion, and in written stories where you read yourself into the situation in horror, comic books haven't really gotten that much attention.

And then I discovered Ito's work. This is a guy who knows how to make use of the concept of comic books, and apply that to his work, the page turner, the shock, the slow build up, the tension raising in his work.

From what I read, concepts in games like silent hill came from people reading works by Junji Ito, applying that to the games and it was even going to be a source of inspiration for the cancel silent Hills game by Guillermo del Toro. It feels like Ito's work in modern day horror is often overlooked, but to me has the same weight to it as lovecraft has.

Unlike is a lot of horro mediums where they reveal what the monster is and thus creates a sense of us understanding the threat and how to confront it, Ito doesn't allow that to happen, the horrors he creates are left to our imagination and it makes them all the more terrifying. The spiral curse in uzumaki, which has a very lovecraftian theme around it, it isn't explained why the town of Kurōzu-cho has this curse upon it, its just showing what the curse does to it, and the fate of the town. You don't need to understand it, because Ito's intent is to take the ordinary and twist it into something twisted and messed up. 

I mean the guy took the idea of icecream and.. yeah don't want to say how that turned out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIIA6QDgl2M&t=1204s

Honestly if your into horror but can't be bothered with buying some of itos work, have a look at this guys channel, he does a great narration for showing itos work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1jfXcrQNrU&list=PL9yxvv8iy1qmXZEawoVix8TZ5kP2VtBVZ
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

invisibleandpink

I've read a fair amount of his pieces. They left a good impression upon me, and the art was positively stunning. It's nice to know other folk enjoy his work as much as I do.

I mean, only he could make a spiral truly terrifying.
"Don't come to me 'less you got some evidence."

"And trust and believe, it better make sense."

Hydra009

I stumbled across Gyo on a random internet search.  For a while, I was transfixed.  It was truly unnerving.  Sure enough, it was written by Junji Ito.

It's well outside what I'm comfortable with, so I haven't seen much of it, but I applaud his effort.  It's comforting to know that there's stuff out there that's too creepy even for me.

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 12, 2017, 06:45:53 PM

I stumbled across Gyo on a random internet search.  For a while, I was transfixed.  It was truly unnerving.  Sure enough, it was written by Junji Ito.

It's well outside what I'm comfortable with, so I haven't seen much of it, but I applaud his effort.  It's comforting to know that there's stuff out there that's too creepy even for me.

thats what i love about his work. I've watched a lot of horror in the last 15 years, and I've grown to know what it is that I actually find scary and what i'm just desensitized to. Things like cheep jump scares and huge amounts of gore aren't scary to me anymore.
but Ito has always applied the uncanny valley to his work, which for any good writer, director or in this came comic book artist, is what builds real suspense in a horror setting, making the payoff all the most lasting and satisfying.

Its also this thing where, it would take a brilliant director to bring his work to the big or small screen, because his work is so designed around the genre, attempts at trying to implement it to film haven't gone over so well.

And yeah Gyo is a good one, gets pretty intense in places. What you see early on in that story gets so much more fucked up later, true Ito style.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hakurei Reimu

Uzumaki was my inauguration into the world of Junji Ito. Good golly, what a mindfuck from the beginning to the very end.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Shiranu

Looks good, I haven't heard of but definitely want to check out now.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Blackleaf

I remember reading The Enigma of Amigara Fault several years ago, but I didn't know who wrote it. That was quite a freaky story.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--