News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Schaden, meet freude (again)

Started by trdsf, November 09, 2017, 03:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

According to polls, Moore's recovering.  The effect of the scandal is diminishing over time (though it seems strange that being a pedo is something the public will only hold against you for a short time) and Trump's quasi-endorsement is putting the idjit vote on lock.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 29, 2017, 05:46:34 PM
According to polls, Moore's recovering.  The effect of the scandal is diminishing over time (though it seems strange that being a pedo is something the public will only hold against you for a short time) and Trump's quasi-endorsement is putting the idjit vote on lock.

Used to be in the South, you married cousins, and married young (well the girl was young, the man older).  That is probably the culture Mr Moore comes from.  Not my culture ...

Is anyone here assuming that most Americans think like San Francisco freaks?  Not that there is anything wrong with San Francisco, or freaks, but they aren't exactly the common man.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 27, 2017, 05:47:21 PM
Normally, I'd say that ship has sailed.  But in this case, that ship has sailed around the world, mutinied, scuttled at an island, interbred with the natives, nearly got wiped out by a mysterious syphilis outbreak, repopulated, and the descendants fashioned another ship and promptly sailed it right into a typhoon.

Not to be too picky, but if the sailors interbred with the natives, they probably had very healthy children.  Genetics works that way.  Otherwise, Right On!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 29, 2017, 05:46:34 PM
It's going to come down, ultimately, to who's more motivated to get to the polls: the deplorables, or those who want Alabama to not be represented by a child molester.

It's chilling to think that the way America looks at Alabama is the way the rest of the world looks at America.  Didn't we used to have our shit together, at least most of the time?  This has to be what it felt like to be living in Rome when they noticed the Visigoths on the horizon.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

trdsf

Mo(o)re fun... Ol' Roy just said the last time America was "great" was when we had slavery:

QuoteAt a campaign event earlier this year, an audience member asked Moore for his opinion on when the last time America was "great." Moore responded: "I think it was great at the time when families were unitedâ€"even though we had slaveryâ€"they cared for one another…. Our families were strong, our country had a direction." The individual who asked the question was among the only African-Americans in attendance at the rally. In stating this, Moore seemingly implied he'd be able to overlook the enslavement of other human beings as long as families are "united," an interesting perspective from a man accused of repeatedly preying on young girls.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on December 02, 2017, 03:20:09 AM
Not to be too picky, but if the sailors interbred with the natives, they probably had very healthy children.  Genetics works that way.  Otherwise, Right On!
The syphilis line is a sailor/STD joke.  But otherwise, you are correct.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 08, 2017, 09:04:11 PM
The syphilis line is a sailor/STD joke.  But otherwise, you are correct.

One of the "benefits" of international trade is that diseases get spread around though many means.  The survivors don't have to worry about the new disease so much.  Every isolated group gets used to some disease vector and survives.  It balances out. 

I'm feeling too lazy to look up who gave who which disease, but I understand that everyone had some to spread to newcomers, LOL!.

And research suggests that my apparent resistance to influenza has something to do with my ancestors surviving the Plague in Europe...  You suffer something, you gain something.

Hydra009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZdbTxgRmjs

As if the pedo allegations weren't enough, the guy is clearly out of his gourd.

Not only is the idea that teaching evolution not related to crime ("if you teach people they came from animals, they'll act like animals" what is this, the 30s?), violent crime in the US has generally been decreasing, though recently there has been a slight uptick.  So this picture of evolution-induced murder and mayhem isn't particularly accurate.

And this goes back to my point about Democrats and Republicans largely occupying different worlds.

Sure, you and I might look at that evolution-murder connection as baffling, but for conservatives who get their views on society from Evangelical Christian sources, it's not terribly uncommon for evolution to be demonized as a satanic, society-destroying menace much like homosexuality or communism.  And they repeat this garbage (apparently without the slightest shred of skepticism) until it seems sensible and self-evident.

This is the gulf of opinion that we have to bridge with these people.  Wide and getting wider all the time.

Baruch

His name is Michael Morell ... former deputy head of CIA, former acting head of CIA ... under Obama.  He is spilling the beans on his inside job to help Hillary, during and post-election.

Much more important than a dirty old man from Alabama.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Well.  All I can say is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVM1nUmDHHc

A lovely double loss for Asshole, who first backed Strange, who lost, and then backed Moore, who lost.  And evidence that there may be hope for Alabama yet.  Even though 48.4% of them have no problem with the idea of an accused pedophile representing them.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on December 13, 2017, 10:38:03 AM
Well.  All I can say is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVM1nUmDHHc

A lovely double loss for Asshole, who first backed Strange, who lost, and then backed Moore, who lost.  And evidence that there may be hope for Alabama yet.  Even though 48.4% of them have no problem with the idea of an accused pedophile representing them.

The political loss of both Strange ans Moore is going to drive Trump raving around the White House at night and lead to more weird Twitter posts.  I sat, the more the better.  As his craziness is more exposed to the country, the easier it will be to negate him.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on December 15, 2017, 03:36:47 AM
The political loss of both Strange ans Moore is going to drive Trump raving around the White House at night and lead to more weird Twitter posts.  I sat, the more the better.  As his craziness is more exposed to the country, the easier it will be to negate him.
He's claiming that this election proves him right about the Alabama election in the first place, which is an odd claim since his candidate lost to the more Trumpish candidate, and then the Trumpish candidate lost to a moderate Democrat.

It's probably true, Strange would have beaten Jones without breaking a sweat, but I'm tremendously amused that Asshole is trying to claim a victory out of a double loss.

Mike Cl

Quote from: trdsf on December 15, 2017, 09:20:11 AM
He's claiming that this election proves him right about the Alabama election in the first place, which is an odd claim since his candidate lost to the more Trumpish candidate, and then the Trumpish candidate lost to a moderate Democrat.

It's probably true, Strange would have beaten Jones without breaking a sweat, but I'm tremendously amused that Asshole is trying to claim a victory out of a double loss.
More disgusted than amused.  Why?  Because this is classical trump.  He has always done this.  He makes a claim (matters not what it is) and if proven wrong he still maintains he was proven right.  And his followers agree with him.  Facts are meaningless for him, for he creates his own as he goes; and they do not have to be consistent.  Whatever he says, whenever he says it is the truth.  And his followers agree with him.  He will never change.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

trdsf

Quote from: Mike Cl on December 15, 2017, 10:41:17 AM
More disgusted than amused.  Why?  Because this is classical trump.  He has always done this.  He makes a claim (matters not what it is) and if proven wrong he still maintains he was proven right.  And his followers agree with him.  Facts are meaningless for him, for he creates his own as he goes; and they do not have to be consistent.  Whatever he says, whenever he says it is the truth.  And his followers agree with him.  He will never change.
I think I can afford to be amused.  A Republican lost in one of the reddest of the red states.  Every other elected Republican in the country, especially those up for re-election next year, is now looking over their shoulder in a very nervous way.

Mike Cl

Quote from: trdsf on December 15, 2017, 12:21:22 PM
I think I can afford to be amused.  A Republican lost in one of the reddest of the red states.  Every other elected Republican in the country, especially those up for re-election next year, is now looking over their shoulder in a very nervous way.
I must admit I am amused with and about Moore.  He is just the poster child for all evangelicals and born again types.  How anyone who claims to be christian can claim to be moral is beyond me. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?