News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Schaden, meet freude (again)

Started by trdsf, November 09, 2017, 03:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 11, 2017, 01:51:02 PM
Hitler and Stalin were pre-Tumps with authority and armies...  I would even bet both referred to "fake news".

Propaganda starts with the Catholic Church.  Then along came the early mobile printing press and fake news was born in the Protestant movement.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on November 11, 2017, 01:13:52 PMRomney is a Dem hero for RomneyCare...
I dunno if I'd go that far, but the non-crazy Republicans have been a decent source of copyable policies for centrist Dems.  I mean, what are the Republicans going to do, attack their own policies?

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 11, 2017, 04:30:41 PM
I dunno if I'd go that far, but the non-crazy Republicans have been a decent source of copyable policies for centrist Dems.  I mean, what are the Republicans going to do, attack their own policies?
Judging by the Republican reaction to the ACA... yes.  They are going to attack their own policies.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

trdsf

The plot, she thickens.

Senator Yertle... er, McConnell is now calling for Moore to stand aside.  And as I predicted earlier in this thread, Moore refuses to.  So far, anyway.  He's going the Asshole route by ragetweeting against everyone and everything that opposes him instead.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on November 13, 2017, 01:39:58 PM
The plot, she thickens.

Senator Yertle... er, McConnell is now calling for Moore to stand aside.  And as I predicted earlier in this thread, Moore refuses to.  So far, anyway.  He's going the Asshole route by ragetweeting against everyone and everything that opposes him instead.
Which of course, only makes things worse for Moore.  *grabs a bag of popcorn*

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on November 12, 2017, 12:55:08 AM
Judging by the Republican reaction to the ACA... yes.  They are going to attack their own policies.

You can fool all the people, all the time ... and it is bipartisan.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 13, 2017, 02:43:18 PM
Which of course, only makes things worse for Moore.  *grabs a bag of popcorn*
Well, the only group that's unshakeably for him is his evangelical base.  Mainstream Republicans -- even Alabama mainstream Republicans -- find him problematic for them at best.

It's telling that Moore is only averaging a couple points ahead of Jones in a state where Democrats rarely break the 40% margin.  One poll by the Republican group JMC Analytics taken just as the news was breaking shows Jones ahead and Moore in deeper trouble than it appears.

My own most disturbing takeaway from that poll is that 29% of respondents say the allegations make them more likely to vote for Moore, rather than less.  Among self-identified evangelicals, that number rises to 37%.  Yup, allegations of being a child molester make around 1/3 of the Alabama electorate more likely to vote for the molester.

Dear Alabama: Please secede.  We'll even hold the door for you.

Mike Cl

Quote from: trdsf on November 14, 2017, 10:37:17 AM

Dear Alabama: Please secede.  We'll even hold the door for you.
Secede hell!!  Give it Mexico!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on November 14, 2017, 10:37:17 AMMy own most disturbing takeaway from that poll is that 29% of respondents say the allegations make them more likely to vote for Moore, rather than less.  Among self-identified evangelicals, that number rises to 37%.  Yup, allegations of being a child molester make around 1/3 of the Alabama electorate more likely to vote for the molester.
Yeah.  And they'll explain exactly what they think the role of women should be in society: taken young and henceforth dominated by their husbands.  Mere sexual assault seems pretty mild in comparison.

Quote from: articleBut there’s a group of Moore’s allies for whom the basic idea of an unmarried older man “courting” a teenage girl is not anathema at allâ€"fundamentalist home-schoolers. Duck Dynasty patriarch Phil Robertson, who endorsed Moore in the contested Republican primary and has spoken at his rallies, told an audience in 2009 that girls should marry when they’re “about 15 or 16.” Moore has appeared several times on a radio show hosted by Kevin Swanson, an ultra-conservative Colorado pastor who defended Robertson's notion that girls should marrying at 15 because it helps them avoid sexual sin.

Moore has an even deeper relationship with Doug Phillips, a disgraced leader in the “Biblical patriarchy” movement. Phillips was president of Vision Forum, a Texas-based organization devoted to the “restoration of the Christian household.” In Phillips’ world, men ought to be self-sufficient by the time they marry, but women live under their father’s authority until they marry. Ideally, in fact, a woman would live under her father’s literal roof until her wedding day. Phillips promoted the concept of “stay-at-home daughters,” in which girls live at home until they marry, often forgoing formal education and focusing on homemaking skills. Independence is essentially a flaw in a Christian wife, who, Phillips taught, should be willing to call her husband “Lord.”
The family "values" party

aitm

He's going the Asshole route by ragetweeting against everyone and everything that opposes him instead.

He has a perfect example of it "working" in the white house.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hydra009

Moore's attempt to worm his way out of this is that not only did he never do anything improper with her, he doesn't even know who she is.  Despite signing her yearbook.  Not the smartest tool in the shed.

Reminds me of That 70s Show when Kelso brags about having sex, is told that she's pregnant, then immediately pretends to not know her.

trdsf

So far, only Rand Paul is standing by his endorsement (for now); every other Senator who endorsed Moore has retracted it.  Even so, it looks like the GOP may find themselves forced to help elect Moore just so they can expel him and let the (Republican) governor appoint another temporary Senator.

We're going to need more popcorn.

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on November 14, 2017, 03:40:38 PM
So far, only Rand Paul is standing by his endorsement (for now); every other Senator who endorsed Moore has retracted it.  Even so, it looks like the GOP may find themselves forced to help elect Moore just so they can expel him and let the (Republican) governor appoint another temporary Senator.

We're going to need more popcorn.

You are being distracted so you won't pay attention to the tax reform bill.

Meanwhile in other recent events .. FDR and Eleanor cheat on each other, and Eleanor is lesbian.  Therefore they are unqualified to serve our fine Puritan nation.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

The plot, she thickens.

Yertle, OMC!  that is perfect.  He IS known as "the Turtle", by temperment and appearance, but I never thought of Yertle...

And if Yertle says he believes the women, that is pretty much the opinion of the entire Senate Republicans because otherwise he would never have said it.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on November 14, 2017, 01:19:40 PM
He has a perfect example of it "working" in the white house.

I would support any President, who wanted to start genocide in the Rose Garden (at the WH).  But he still wouldn't be working, just telling others to do it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.