Maybe a sign of things to come

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, November 08, 2017, 09:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

I'm well aware that many of you think both political parties in the US are rotten to the core and I can't entirely disagree with the sentiment, but yesterday the Rs got their asses handed to them in elections in Virginia and New Jersey and the moral of the story according to The REAL Donkey Turd, el fearless leader, the Twittle Dumb Don Gillespie didn't embrace him and his alleged policies enough..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

trdsf

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on November 08, 2017, 09:33:44 AM
I'm well aware that many of you think both political parties in the US are rotten to the core and I can't entirely disagree with the sentiment, but yesterday the Rs got their asses handed to them in elections in Virginia and New Jersey and the moral of the story according to The REAL Donkey Turd, el fearless leader, the Twittle Dumb Don Gillespie didn't embrace him and his alleged policies enough..
Yeah, it's an interesting reaction over on that side of the aisle.  Gillespie tried to run on Trumpism without actually associating himself with the trope namer.  The Deplorables say he lost because he didn't kiss enough Trump ass.  The exit polls say the voters were casting their ballots against Trumpism.  The only real hope Gillespie had was to not be Gillespie.

Meanwhile, one of Gov. Kasich's aide's tweeted: "I'm not gleeful about GOP losing elections. But if you have gangrene in your leg (Trump), chop the sucker off. But 2018 is looming & that is a big chop. #WakeUpGOP".  So it looks like Conservageddon is (finally) about to start.  I expect teabaggers to come out of the woodwork next year to launch primary challenges against insufficiently "ideologically pure" Repubs, while Repubs in competitive races will be putting up their own border walls to keep Asshole far away from their districts.

The pure gold scenario is mainstream Republicans in competitive districts being knocked out by teabagger extremists in their primaries (it is, of course, the the hardcore who are vastly more likely to vote in an off year primary), which extremists then get clobbered by any Democrat who doesn't piss on themselves on camera.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

AllPurposeAtheist

Yeah, Kasich seems to be bucking the trend of extremism in Ohio. He's not my favorite politician by any stretch, but if I was forced to vote for an R Kasich would probably be the one I'd vote for.  Back when I lived in Columbus I had a friend who grew up with him and though he's a democrat he had good words about Kasich..
Anyway, it's great to see there's still a pulse in team blue.. Should we send Twittle Dumb a thank you letter for being such an anchor on the R juggernaut?
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

trdsf

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on November 08, 2017, 02:23:11 PM
Yeah, Kasich seems to be bucking the trend of extremism in Ohio. He's not my favorite politician by any stretch, but if I was forced to vote for an R Kasich would probably be the one I'd vote for.  Back when I lived in Columbus I had a friend who grew up with him and though he's a democrat he had good words about Kasich..
Anyway, it's great to see there's still a pulse in team blue.. Should we send Twittle Dumb a thank you letter for being such an anchor on the R juggernaut?
Well, it's worth noting that Kasich is only moderate in comparison -- he's still an enemy of women's rights, workers' rights, and sensible tax policy.

The one thing Kasich has that appears to be absent from the rest of the GOP is an ability to choose his battles and back down when necessary.  When he first took office, he tried the same union-busting that Walker did in Wisconsin, and since Ohio doesn't have a provision to recall a governor, we instead put a repeal on the state ballot.  And being able to see which way the winds were blowing -- it was never close, SB5 was always doomed once the veto referendum got on the ballot -- he took the rebuke gracefully (it went down hard, 62%-38% to repeal) and hasn't tried it since.

I suspect he's prepping himself to launch a primary challenge to Lord Dampnut in '20.  And without a crowded field, he may be able to do significant damage.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Keep putting your money down on the red three or black seven, in political roulette.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

fencerider

Don naT rump is self destructive, but right now Democrats got nobody in the plans. Maybe its a good day for Baruch to put on his political hat.... I never took mine off but I aint rich enough to make a go at it.
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on November 08, 2017, 11:57:02 PM
Don naT rump is self destructive, but right now Democrats got nobody in the plans. Maybe its a good day for Baruch to put on his political hat.... I never took mine off but I aint rich enough to make a go at it.

I would have to run as an independent ... and not like Bernie.  If I ran, my platform would be relatively liberal, but pragmatic.  No pie in the sky, no promise to buy votes, no sacred cows to protect.  The status quo isn't sacred, and changing things just to change things isn't clever.  Honesty, competence (in a context of human chaos), caring for people (not what I spout here) not TLC for vested interests/collectives.  That and make them feel irrationally good about themselves (Trumpism).  And I would never ever Twitter.  Every statement would be calculated, but for the common good, not for the common evil.  Again, opposite of my behavior here.  But there are reasons why a candidate like that isn't attractive ... because Americans decry yet want someone exactly the opposite of that.  Y'all want your shit, not the other guy's shit.

It would be hard to deal with the Deep State ... I support government, but don't like real politik.  Signing assassination orders or other criminal acts, because it is the right thing to do, would bother me.  And I don't support voluntary war (which seems to be the growth industry).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on November 08, 2017, 03:25:52 PM
Well, it's worth noting that Kasich is only moderate in comparison -- he's still an enemy of women's rights, workers' rights, and sensible tax policy.

The one thing Kasich has that appears to be absent from the rest of the GOP is an ability to choose his battles and back down when necessary.  When he first took office, he tried the same union-busting that Walker did in Wisconsin, and since Ohio doesn't have a provision to recall a governor, we instead put a repeal on the state ballot.  And being able to see which way the winds were blowing -- it was never close, SB5 was always doomed once the veto referendum got on the ballot -- he took the rebuke gracefully (it went down hard, 62%-38% to repeal) and hasn't tried it since.

I suspect he's prepping himself to launch a primary challenge to Lord Dampnut in '20.  And without a crowded field, he may be able to do significant damage.

One of the things that amaze me most about recent politics is how the politicians I (we?) thought were crazy nut jobs are now Republican "moderates".  The nut jobs didn't change their views, they just got out-nutted in their primaries. 

Is there any limit to the right drift of the Republicans?   
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 11, 2017, 01:57:34 AM
One of the things that amaze me most about recent politics is how the politicians I (we?) thought were crazy nut jobs are now Republican "moderates".  The nut jobs didn't change their views, they just got out-nutted in their primaries. 

Is there any limit to the right drift of the Republicans?

Dictatorship coming soon.  If you move far enough Left or Right, you meet in the middle, but opposite to Center.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on November 11, 2017, 02:21:36 AM
Dictatorship coming soon.  If you move far enough Left or Right, you meet in the middle, but opposite to Center.

I suspect the US political system is still healthy enough to protect us from a dictatorship.  Trump and some Republicans want it but it isn't going to happen.  The 2018 elections are like to prove that. 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 11, 2017, 02:53:45 AM
I suspect the US political system is still healthy enough to protect us from a dictatorship.  Trump and some Republicans want it but it isn't going to happen.  The 2018 elections are like to prove that.

We have been under CIA direction since before JFK.  But in the shadows.  The only question will be when it gets patently obvious ... with R and D goose-stepping hand in hand ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on November 11, 2017, 10:37:20 AM
We have been under CIA direction since before JFK.  But in the shadows.  The only question will be when it gets patently obvious ... with R and D goose-stepping hand in hand ;-(

I looked up "conspiracy theorist" in my dictionary just now, and there was your picture...

The CIA is too incompetent to run the world.  Actually, everyone is. 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 11, 2017, 10:42:22 AM
I looked up "conspiracy theorist" in my dictionary just now, and there was your picture...

The CIA is too incompetent to run the world.  Actually, everyone is.

You and I may realize that, but that is their mission statement from 1946, and they believe it.  MI6 too, and KGB etc.  We are their tools, we aren't people to them.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on November 11, 2017, 10:46:37 AM
You and I may realize that, but that is their mission statement from 1946, and they believe it.  MI6 too, and KGB etc.  We are their tools, we aren't people to them.

The People are too much for them to control, and you should know that.  We are not their tools.  The voices in my teeth say so.  j/k/

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 11, 2017, 12:06:51 PM
The People are too much for them to control, and you should know that.  We are not their tools.  The voices in my teeth say so.  j/k/

See, you have a political faith.  I have lost that.  Make a-political like a-theist ... you liked it so much ... "a-thinking".  Apply the meme everywhere.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.