Poll: Trump Has Accoplished Little or Nothing

Started by SGOS, November 06, 2017, 09:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

Quote from: Jason78 on November 06, 2017, 10:55:30 AM
I wouldn't quite say nothing.   You don't get a golf handicap like Trumps by sitting around Washington all day.
I don't know enough about golf to know how to read this, but maybe some of you do:

Does this tell us what Chump's handicap is?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Luther Martini

Here is a link to an article on golf.com with some additional insight into Trump's ability on the links including some information substantiating allegations that in addition to being an accomplished golfer, he often bends the rules in his favor.  Or, more bluntly stated ... evidently he cheats.  Is anyone surprised?

http://www.golf.com/tour-news/2017/08/02/six-things-we-learned-golfs-depth-look-first-golfer-president-trump

Unbeliever

Oh, I just can't believe Chump would cheat at golf, or anything else!

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mike Cl

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 06, 2017, 04:09:28 PM
I don't know enough about golf to know how to read this, but maybe some of you do:

I wonder how much he cheats at golf--he lies about everything else, why not golf.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 06, 2017, 11:44:21 AM
Yeah.  The appointments are probably the most damaging thing he's done so far.  Almost every one of them has been the absolute last person any sane person would pick for the job and most of them constitute an existential threat to the agencies they're supposed to run.  Even if we purge these swampy slimeballs from office, the damage has already been done and it'll likely take a lot of agencies (especially the EPA) years to recover.  And then we get to go through this again when the next conservative troglodyte takes power.  Yay.

The Powell Memo was real, and before PNAC.  You are just peasants awaiting the abattoir.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Cavebear

Trump accomplished one thing, via Mitch McConnell.  Gorsuch will linger for decades like a pestilence...

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 06, 2017, 04:09:28 PM

It would let us make an educated guess at it, anyway.  The Course Rating is the average score expected of a scratch golfer on that course under normal circumstances, generally between 67 and 77.  The Slope Rating is a measure of the difficulty of the course, between 55 and 155.  For both ratings, higher numbers equal more difficult courses.  Within limits, there should be a direct relationship between the player's scores, and those two numbers.

They look a *little* hinky to me, but I'll have to do some math to be sure.  The only thing that looks odd is that 70, but it's odd in the wrong direction if he were sandbagging.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Shiranu

His removal of so many regulations is probably going to be his main lasting legacy; environmental groups are saying that the regulations he has been cutting won't show up instantly, but rather take 5-10 years to fully manifest themselves.

The problem I see with this is we will hopefully have a progressive in office by that time, and all the blame will fall on their shoulders.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on November 07, 2017, 10:39:20 AM
It would let us make an educated guess at it, anyway.  The Course Rating is the average score expected of a scratch golfer on that course under normal circumstances, generally between 67 and 77.  The Slope Rating is a measure of the difficulty of the course, between 55 and 155.  For both ratings, higher numbers equal more difficult courses.  Within limits, there should be a direct relationship between the player's scores, and those two numbers.

They look a *little* hinky to me, but I'll have to do some math to be sure.  The only thing that looks odd is that 70, but it's odd in the wrong direction if he were sandbagging.

Well, to be honest, it COULD mean he hit the peak of his game 2011 to 2014.  But that's unlikely.  Few players get better after 40. 

It could mean he is inconsistent and had a few good years.  That's unlikely.  You can have good days and bad, but not usually whole years. 

It could mean he played some courses that suited his game.  If you have a right-handed fade and most of the hazards are on the left, it would help.  But few courses are so unbalanced.

I played with a co-worker who just tapped the ball out of "unfair hazards" (woods, bad lies, bunkers) routinely and didn't count that stroke.  Needless to say, we never played him for money.  LOL! 

But I recall someone pointing out on MSNBC  a few weeks ago that "Presidents get a lot of "foregiveness" on the golf course, and that probably also applies to the guy who owns the golf course. 

Which is of course saying that Trump cheats as a privelege. 

And I have to add something personal about golf...  My Dad was a dedicated (and honest) scratch golfer.  I used to visit for the Member/Guest tourney at his club.   The tourney was some weird quota system involving handicaps and points.  I could barely break 100 and Dad was always trying to "correct' my swing even when I did better than usual.  But one year, it was rainy and miserable and Dad had enough to do to manage his own normally good game. 

I however was FREE!  And I had one of the best rounds of my life on one of the top 50 toughest courses at the time.  I was free to ATTACK! 

As most of you can guess, I am not one of the most cautious people in the world.  I deliberately sliced around right doglegs.  I daringly hit over trees.  I putted out of a sand trap (to Dad's horror).  I drove off 5 par holes with a 2 iron (I hate woods).  I did everything Dad thought was wrong. 

We won because I had gone nuts.  I have the trophy to prove it. 

And that was the last time I ever played golf with him...  No, he didn't die, I just quit.   I went out "on top".

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on November 07, 2017, 11:12:40 AM
His removal of so many regulations is probably going to be his main lasting legacy; environmental groups are saying that the regulations he has been cutting won't show up instantly, but rather take 5-10 years to fully manifest themselves.

The problem I see with this is we will hopefully have a progressive in office by that time, and all the blame will fall on their shoulders.

That would be the usual pattern of the last 60 years.  Republicans promise tax changes will grow the economy and all they do is strangle it.  Then the Democrats want to fix the economy and the Republicans benefit but scream loudly. 

Repeat, repeat, repeat.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on November 07, 2017, 11:14:20 AM
Well, to be honest, it COULD mean he hit the peak of his game 2011 to 2014.  But that's unlikely.  Few players get better after 40. 

It could mean he is inconsistent and had a few good years.  That's unlikely.  You can have good days and bad, but not usually whole years. 

It could mean he played some courses that suited his game.  If you have a right-handed fade and most of the hazards are on the left, it would help.  But few courses are so unbalanced.

I played with a co-worker who just tapped the ball out of "unfair hazards" (woods, bad lies, bunkers) routinely and didn't count that stroke.  Needless to say, we never played him for money.  LOL! 

But I recall someone pointing out on MSNBC  a few weeks ago that "Presidents get a lot of "foregiveness" on the golf course, and that probably also applies to the guy who owns the golf course. 

Which is of course saying that Trump cheats as a privelege.

And even more game decay in their 60s and 70s.  I have seen Palmer, Player and Nicklaus play -- at the time, Jack was 60, Gary was 65 and Arnie was 70.  And I nearly got beaned that day by arguably the greatest player that ever lived -- Jack's golf ball had no business being where I was, absent a slice on my scale.

Generally speaking, you see higher scores associates with higher course/slope ratings.  That's as it should be.  What makes that 70 stand out is first that he hasn't any other scores even remotely in that area -- especially not on much easier courses -- and that it is on a definitely difficult course.  It's possible he had One Magical Dayâ,,¢.

It's also possible that he's been sandbagging.  To calculate an official USGA handicap, it's based on your ten best scores over your last twenty rounds.  Bill Gates got caught doing it -- he was in a charity event and reported a 30 handicap, then went out and shot an 87, roughly the equivalent of a scratch golfer shooting a 57.  Even the director of the USGA's handicapping system said "no way".

Statistically, you just don't see someone who consistently shoots in the mid-70s to mid-80s, with a good correlation between score and course/slope, suddenly go out and shoot 70 on a tough course.

So I suspect that 70 was reported because it was in a situation where a) he wanted the win with his inflated handicap and b) he was unable to not report it if he wanted to claim that win.

Quote from: Cavebear on November 07, 2017, 11:14:20 AM
And I have to add something personal about golf...  My Dad was a dedicated (and honest) scratch golfer.  I used to visit for the Member/Guest tourney at his club.   The tourney was some weird quota system involving handicaps and points.  I could barely break 100 and Dad was always trying to "correct' my swing even when I did better than usual.  But one year, it was rainy and miserable and Dad had enough to do to manage his own normally good game. 

I however was FREE!  And I had one of the best rounds of my life on one of the top 50 toughest courses at the time.  I was free to ATTACK! 

As most of you can guess, I am not one of the most cautious people in the world.  I deliberately sliced around right doglegs.  I daringly hit over trees.  I putted out of a sand trap (to Dad's horror).  I drove off 5 par holes with a 2 iron (I hate woods).  I did everything Dad thought was wrong. 

We won because I had gone nuts.  I have the trophy to prove it. 

And that was the last time I ever played golf with him...  No, he didn't die, I just quit.   I went out "on top".
I have always hit my best golf shots when the only swing thought I had was "Fuck it."

And yeah, there is definitely something to playing within your game.  There's a par-5 I attack with three five irons (and a wedge, if I'm not on the green) because I know within limits where my five iron's going to go.  I can't say that about my woods.  Driver comes out if the hole is a sharp dogleg right because I *always* slice a driver, especially if I try to kill it.  I have chipped with a 3-iron because my ball was under a 3' tall pine tree and in the clutches of some plant that I suspect was kin to Cthulhu, and it was the only way to get any club on the ball.

I would describe my game either as 'two shots of undeserved brilliance buried within one hundred twenty of futility' or 'two strokes of Ben Hogan surrounded by one hundred twenty of Harpo Marx'.  But I keep going back.  Those occasional brilliant shots are all the sweeter for the sea of merde they claw their way out of.  I'll always remember that 40' putt with three breaks diving into the hole like it was under remote control... never mind that it was for an 8 on a par 3.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on November 07, 2017, 01:07:25 PM
And even more game decay in their 60s and 70s.  I have seen Palmer, Player and Nicklaus play -- at the time, Jack was 60, Gary was 65 and Arnie was 70.  And I nearly got beaned that day by arguably the greatest player that ever lived -- Jack's golf ball had no business being where I was, absent a slice on my scale.

Generally speaking, you see higher scores associates with higher course/slope ratings.  That's as it should be.  What makes that 70 stand out is first that he hasn't any other scores even remotely in that area -- especially not on much easier courses -- and that it is on a definitely difficult course.  It's possible he had One Magical Dayâ,,¢.

It's also possible that he's been sandbagging.  To calculate an official USGA handicap, it's based on your ten best scores over your last twenty rounds.  Bill Gates got caught doing it -- he was in a charity event and reported a 30 handicap, then went out and shot an 87, roughly the equivalent of a scratch golfer shooting a 57.  Even the director of the USGA's handicapping system said "no way".

Statistically, you just don't see someone who consistently shoots in the mid-70s to mid-80s, with a good correlation between score and course/slope, suddenly go out and shoot 70 on a tough course.

So I suspect that 70 was reported because it was in a situation where a) he wanted the win with his inflated handicap and b) he was unable to not report it if he wanted to claim that win.
I have always hit my best golf shots when the only swing thought I had was "Fuck it."

And yeah, there is definitely something to playing within your game.  There's a par-5 I attack with three five irons (and a wedge, if I'm not on the green) because I know within limits where my five iron's going to go.  I can't say that about my woods.  Driver comes out if the hole is a sharp dogleg right because I *always* slice a driver, especially if I try to kill it.  I have chipped with a 3-iron because my ball was under a 3' tall pine tree and in the clutches of some plant that I suspect was kin to Cthulhu, and it was the only way to get any club on the ball.

I would describe my game either as 'two shots of undeserved brilliance buried within one hundred twenty of futility' or 'two strokes of Ben Hogan surrounded by one hundred twenty of Harpo Marx'.  But I keep going back.  Those occasional brilliant shots are all the sweeter for the sea of merde they claw their way out of.  I'll always remember that 40' putt with three breaks diving into the hole like it was under remote control... never mind that it was for an 8 on a par 3.

Ah a golfer after my own heart.  When the mind says "I can DO this", you usually can't but the game is in the trying, not the score.  No guts, no glory. 

So hitting the ball once 250 yards uphill with a 2 iron to gimme distance to the hole is good.  The look on Dad's face - Priceless!

I was the lowest member of the high school golf team (undefeated for 2 years but not because of me usually).  But there was that one match when the 40' putt over a curve went in on the last hole with everyone watching.  To save the win. 

It doesn't get better then that.