Sutherland Springs, TX Church Shooting Leaves 27+ Dead

Started by Shiranu, November 05, 2017, 04:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-us-canada-41880700

Less than 20 minutes from where I live. Posting this just because it's breaking news and full articles aren't out yet.

Edit: - https://www.ksat.com/news/shooting-sutherland-springs-church-gunfire-mass-shooting-airlife

About 3% of the town's population, killed in a few minutes.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

drunkenshoe

Came to check on you. Take care. Any idea what is happening?
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Shiranu

Quote from: drunkenshoe on November 05, 2017, 05:08:55 PM

No clue, they haven't really released any info last I checked. I'm fine though, thank you Drunken.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mike Cl

Quote from: drunkenshoe on November 05, 2017, 05:08:55 PM
Hey, Shoe, move along.  Nothing to see here.  It is a huge tragedy, but we must morn in respect for the victims; too early to talk about it or gun control (besides, people kill people; guns don't kill people.--clearly just a mentally ill person here.).  Let's bow our heads in silence............Show respect--nothing to talk about.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 05, 2017, 06:24:20 PM
Hey, Shoe, move along.  Nothing to see here.  It is a huge tragedy, but we must morn in respect for the victims; too early to talk about it or gun control (besides, people kill people; guns don't kill people.--clearly just a mentally ill person here.).  Let's bow our heads in silence............Show respect--nothing to talk about.

Correct, guns don't kill people, the US government does.  Needs to do more killing.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hakurei Reimu

Good grief.

It's really difficult to know what to say, other than that we need stronger gun laws. OBVIOUSLY, the wrong people are getting their hands on them!
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on November 05, 2017, 08:23:36 PM
Good grief.

It's really difficult to know what to say, other than that we need stronger gun laws. OBVIOUSLY, the wrong people are getting their hands on them!
It is clear that only the insane would do what was done today--guns or not.  So, guns are clearly not the problem; it is our broken medical system that just has no interest in treating the mentally ill, much less curing them.  Come on Hakurei, get your head together!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 05, 2017, 08:37:53 PM
It is clear that only the insane would do what was done today--guns or not.  So, guns are clearly not the problem; it is our broken medical system that just has no interest in treating the mentally ill, much less curing them.  Come on Hakurei, get your head together!!
Funny, I would have called the mentally ill "the wrong people." I guess that's just me. Defend your right to keep and arm nuts!
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Shiranu

I stand corrected: the number of injured and killed was 10% of the population, not 3%.

SGOS

No big deal.  Happens all the time.  I'm just grateful that someone got to exchange a few rounds with the gunman on his way out of the church.  I'll bet he wasn't expecting that and maybe even crapped his pants for a second. 

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on November 06, 2017, 08:29:51 AM
No big deal.  Happens all the time.  I'm just grateful that someone got to exchange a few rounds with the gunman on his way out of the church.  I'll bet he wasn't expecting that and maybe even crapped his pants for a second.
There you are--the NRA solution.  If everybody had been armed in that church, the gunman would not have had a chance.  Therefore, all right minded NRA thinking (the very essence of mental health) would be armed.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 06, 2017, 09:43:05 AM
There you are--the NRA solution.  If everybody had been armed in that church, the gunman would not have had a chance.  Therefore, all right minded NRA thinking (the very essence of mental health) would be armed.
GGWAG* scenarios are exceedingly rare for a reason. Most people aren't actually willing to kill other people, regardless of the motivation. And if they do shoot, how exactly do they parse out who to shoot at if EVERYBODY has a gun? (Betting money on "who cares?") Finally, do citizens without any power assigned to them by the government have the right to be judge/jury/executioner? That's not even a grey area, folks.

*Good Guy With A Gun.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 06, 2017, 10:11:21 AM
GGWAG* scenarios are exceedingly rare for a reason. Most people aren't actually willing to kill other people, regardless of the motivation. And if they do shoot, how exactly do they parse out who to shoot at if EVERYBODY has a gun? (Betting money on "who cares?") Finally, do citizens without any power assigned to them by the government have the right to be judge/jury/executioner? That's not even a grey area, folks.

*Good Guy With A Gun.
My point, exactly.  If you wanted to see a 'real' bloodbath, then arm all who were in that church and see how that would play out.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 06, 2017, 10:30:39 AM
My point, exactly.  If you wanted to see a 'real' bloodbath, then arm all who were in that church and see how that would play out.
Ala the church scene in "Kingsman".
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers