EPA appointee says air is too clean

Started by Hydra009, November 04, 2017, 09:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fencerider

Which is more likely to make a mistake a driver or a computer programmed by humans? A computer programmed by humans has no ability to adjust to a previously unencountered situation. A computer can be programmed to respond to what the driver of the other car is supposed to do but it can never be programmed for a driver that does something unscripted. Drivers make mistakes all the time, but they can adjust. Most of the time they correct their mistakes before they become a problem. and a drivercan deal with unexpected behavior that a computer can’t.

Amazon is a really big clearing house. Anybody who wants to start a business can sell their stuff on Amazon. For some small businesses the only store they have is Amazon. We know that all the shipping cost ends up in the hands of UPS or FedEx... and then you have some actual Amazon employees working in an Amazon warehouse.... maybe Baruch. They wouldn’t be the only biz that figured out how to get their taxable income to zero;-)
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

I worked as a temp employee, for an early competitor to Amazon, in books.  They preferred illegals ... and for me it was a tempting as to an alcoholic working in a brewery.

Computers are magic, just ask the so called rationalists.   They even think that computers are Vulcan, inherently logical.  Couldn't be further from the truth.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

I'll be happy to just have a circuit in cars that forces them to fucking well stop at the white line at a stop sign or red light.  I'm sick of assholes who think a red light means "Oh, okay, just one more", or if they do bother stopping, blocking the crosswalk.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Blackleaf

Quote from: fencerider on November 13, 2017, 01:30:14 AM
Which is more likely to make a mistake a driver or a computer programmed by humans? A computer programmed by humans has no ability to adjust to a previously unencountered situation. A computer can be programmed to respond to what the driver of the other car is supposed to do but it can never be programmed for a driver that does something unscripted. Drivers make mistakes all the time, but they can adjust. Most of the time they correct their mistakes before they become a problem. and a drivercan deal with unexpected behavior that a computer can’t.

Amazon is a really big clearing house. Anybody who wants to start a business can sell their stuff on Amazon. For some small businesses the only store they have is Amazon. We know that all the shipping cost ends up in the hands of UPS or FedEx... and then you have some actual Amazon employees working in an Amazon warehouse.... maybe Baruch. They wouldn’t be the only biz that figured out how to get their taxable income to zero;-)

I just told you that Google's self-driving cars drove 1,300,000 miles in seven years, with only one minor accident where the cause was the unpredictability of human drivers. How many miles do we typically go without accidents? About 165,000, according to this article: http://mashable.com/2012/08/07/google-driverless-cars-safer-than-you/#ccGiDPvHjgqw

Google cars are already better drivers than humans are. I don't give a shit how adaptable and intelligent we are when we actively throw our intelligence out the window to drive our 4,000 pound hunk of metal down the free way at 20mph or more over the speed limit, cutting in front of other drivers with no more than an inch to spare, basically acting like we WANT to get in a fucking wreck. Not only do human drivers make honest mistakes, we knowingly ignore safe driving practices just to save ourselves five minutes.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on November 13, 2017, 11:47:43 AMNot only do human drivers make honest mistakes, we knowingly ignore safe driving practices just to save ourselves five minutes.
And automated cars also have the huge advantage of updates and retaining learned information.  A single software update and vast amounts of automated cars instantly develop better driving techniques across the board.

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on November 13, 2017, 11:47:43 AM
I just told you that Google's self-driving cars drove 1,300,000 miles in seven years, with only one minor accident where the cause was the unpredictability of human drivers. How many miles do we typically go without accidents? About 165,000, according to this article: http://mashable.com/2012/08/07/google-driverless-cars-safer-than-you/#ccGiDPvHjgqw

Google cars are already better drivers than humans are. I don't give a shit how adaptable and intelligent we are when we actively throw our intelligence out the window to drive our 4,000 pound hunk of metal down the free way at 20mph or more over the speed limit, cutting in front of other drivers with no more than an inch to spare, basically acting like we WANT to get in a fucking wreck. Not only do human drivers make honest mistakes, we knowingly ignore safe driving practices just to save ourselves five minutes.

You can have a perfect driving record ... by banning all cars.  A fleet car won't go where I want, when I want.  Biodegradable transportation is called horses and mules.  On the other hand, dystopia is the natural end of humanity, because we are the most self hating species known.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 13, 2017, 02:52:53 PM
And automated cars also have the huge advantage of updates and retaining learned information.  A single software update and vast amounts of automated cars instantly develop better driving techniques across the board.

Thanks to hacking, Omar and Ivan will be pleased.  Software makes us into superman.  This is why every laptop my daughter has had, has turned into infected junk.  Because it was networked.  In order for autonomous cars to work, they have to be networked.  Bwahaha.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

AllPurposeAtheist

To be fair we are all going to die anyway.  God put pollution on earth for a reason you know..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Baruch

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on November 13, 2017, 09:43:57 PM
To be fair we are all going to die anyway.  God put pollution on earth for a reason you know..

Yes, we will all die.  That isn't the question.  The question is ... were you ever alive, ever a human being, before you reach your end?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: aitm on November 05, 2017, 03:41:01 PM
The government has no interest in extending or saving lives. They have squirreled away too much of social security for themselves.
I've been telling this to anyone who mistakenly thinks that the government gives exactly one old turd about your health ESPECIALLY when it comes to the so called 'war on drugs '. It is and has always been about money, who makes it and who keeps it.
If you happen to own your own for profit prison they care about your health. If you are just some poor schmuck suffering with any kind of addiction issues, well tough luck asswipe..

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Baruch on November 13, 2017, 09:47:21 PM
Yes, we will all die.  That isn't the question.  The question is ... were you ever alive, ever a human being, before you reach your end?
It's not even a question of humanity. If you're a fucking duck with a billion dollars stashed away your life is eminently more important than any mere human with no money.

Baruch

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on November 14, 2017, 03:15:20 AM
It's not even a question of humanity. If you're a fucking duck with a billion dollars stashed away your life is eminently more important than any mere human with no money.

If he who has the gold makes the rules, why has so much gold been sold and shipped to China?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hakurei Reimu

Because ducks make the gold. That should tell you why they let it go to china.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Baruch

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on November 14, 2017, 03:08:42 PM
Because ducks make the gold. That should tell you why they let it go to china.

Goose who lays golden eggs?  Well you can always put all your money into a handful of magic beans, Jack ;-)

BeanCoin ... the synthetic private currency for when you want to "fart in their general direction".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

fencerider

or we could have automated cars that dont work unless you feed them a gold coin ;-)
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.