News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

What is mental health?

Started by Baruch, November 03, 2017, 04:07:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5E_lmbtuLI

An antidote to the nihilism of modernity.  In nihilism, there is no point to not agree with Camus, that suicide is the logical answer to the human condition.

Anomie and alienation is the natural product of materialism ... and leads to autistic behavior.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

"What is mental health"? Something you should look into.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 03, 2017, 06:46:12 AM
"What is mental health"? Something you should look into.

Sorry, don't want to give more impetus to the legal drug pushing business ;-)  For my age, my mental health is pretty good ... thanks for asking.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

AllPurposeAtheist

What is mental health? Pretty much anything any half ass armchair shrink says it is..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Baruch

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on November 03, 2017, 10:10:52 AM
What is mental health? Pretty much anything any half ass armchair shrink says it is..

Then donate to a med school to improve the quality of medical education ;-)

There is talk therapy ... mostly based on cognitive psychology
There is pharmaceutical therapy ... mostly based on new knowledge of brain chemistry

Not a bad start.  Unfortunately, working on someone's brain is like working on a PC motherboard with a sledge hammer.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on November 03, 2017, 01:00:48 PM

There is pharmaceutical therapy ... mostly based on new knowledge of brain chemistry

Not a bad start.  Unfortunately, working on someone's brain is like working on a PC motherboard with a sledge hammer.

Well, I would say that "mental health" is a state of mind condusive to both positive individual self-awareness and the ability to function with groups.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 04, 2017, 12:51:12 AM
Well, I would say that "mental health" is a state of mind condusive to both positive individual self-awareness and the ability to function with groups.

Good definition.  The first part excludes psychosis.  The second excludes neurosis.  But physically and mentally, we are never more than partly well.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on November 04, 2017, 01:52:47 PM
Good definition.  The first part excludes psychosis.  The second excludes neurosis.  But physically and mentally, we are never more than partly well.

The last suggests you think that there is current definition of mental health we all fail.  If so, what is "sanity?  Wouldn't that be the rejection of all false beliefs?  Wouldn't that be atheism?  Wouldn't atheism be the definition of future sanity?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 07, 2017, 03:23:32 AM
The last suggests you think that there is current definition of mental health we all fail.  If so, what is "sanity?  Wouldn't that be the rejection of all false beliefs?  Wouldn't that be atheism?  Wouldn't atheism be the definition of future sanity?

No true Ãœbermensch ... not even German athletes in Berlin, 1936.  No ... rejection of all false beliefs, would also reject itself, and hence ... nihilism.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on November 07, 2017, 07:22:20 AM
No true Ãœbermensch ... not even German athletes in Berlin, 1936.  No ... rejection of all false beliefs, would also reject itself, and hence ... nihilism.

One might usefully note that the 1936 Germans won the most Gold, Silver, Bronze, and total medals...  Ignoring your nihilism...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 07, 2017, 08:10:33 AM
One might usefully note that the 1936 Germans won the most Gold, Silver, Bronze, and total medals...  Ignoring your nihilism...

I raise you a Jesse Owens ... and kick your Hun ass ;-)  I am part German too, but we can't be perfect, can we?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on November 07, 2017, 01:25:44 PM
I raise you a Jesse Owens ... and kick your Hun ass ;-)  I am part German too, but we can't be perfect, can we?

Jesse Owens was an amazing person.  Just saying that, contrary to common opinion, the Germans won the 1936 Olympics.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 07, 2017, 01:35:13 PM
Jesse Owens was an amazing person.  Just saying that, contrary to common opinion, the Germans won the 1936 Olympics.

They lost, because of Hitler.  The medal count never matters, the modern Olympics is nationalist masturbation (why Hitler was so interested).  It fails always, because barbarians are allowed to participate, it isn't restricted to just Greeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht1j4_qV6js
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Baruch on November 03, 2017, 01:00:48 PM

Yeahhhh..no.. If I donate money to anyone it's a direct donation to the person who actually needs the money and not to some umbrella organization who can give the lions share to the CEO and their public relations firm..
One of my favorite recipients to hand over cash to is some schlub hanging out on the street corner who just happens to have a really great bullshit story.  A really great bullshit story is entertainment and I'm willing to pay for entertainment..
Example..some kid trying to collect money for the boy scouts or some hokey school scheme..sorry, no dice. But on the other hand some pretty girl tells me she's collecting money to help prostitutes buy condoms? Yeah, I can see that..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Cavebear

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on November 08, 2017, 10:05:47 AM
Yeahhhh..no.. If I donate money to anyone it's a direct donation to the person who actually needs the money and not to some umbrella organization who can give the lions share to the CEO and their public relations firm..
One of my favorite recipients to hand over cash to is some schlub hanging out on the street corner who just happens to have a really great bullshit story.  A really great bullshit story is entertainment and I'm willing to pay for entertainment..
Example..some kid trying to collect money for the boy scouts or some hokey school scheme..sorry, no dice. But on the other hand some pretty girl tells me she's collecting money to help prostitutes buy condoms? Yeah, I can see that..

OK, I HAVE to like that! 

I once saw a guy asking for food-money at a fishing dock.  Where a simple hook and line and a few free-found worms would catch a meal.  Then he just needed a place to cook the fish, some wood to burn, a spot to shelter for the night, some place to wash up, a place to clea his clothes, and POOF, he can be a CEO somewhere in a crowdsourcing enterprise!