Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Genesis vs Evoluion

Started by GBTG, November 02, 2017, 01:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sylar

Quote from: GBTG on November 02, 2017, 02:37:07 PM
Greetings!

lol... I was curious as to the nature of the responses I would get on this first post. My username is sufficient for my name, and I am a Christian that works in the academic science community. I understand that this puts me in the minority on a board such as this. I am curious though as to the factual reasoning or proven scientific (not theories) facts that have led you to the atheist conclusion? My intent here is purposeful as I am looking for insight as to the facts or statistical likelihood of your point of view being the most accurate?   

Presumably these facts can be proven, therefore it should stand to reason that there is some quantitative analysis or probability that makes them facts. Hence my original question. In other words what statistical probability makes an argument, point of view, or observation a fact? I would like to have some consensus as to what is an acceptable probability of being impossible or so unlikely as to not be possible?

Regards, GBTG

Are you looking for evidence of evolution? This website would be a good start: https://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/home.php

Also this one: http://talkorigins.org/

Also, I find it hard for someone who works in the science field to use the layman's definition of the term 'theory'. A scientific theory is an established body of knowledge about a certain subject, supported by observable facts, repeatable experiments, and logical reasoning. A theory in science is a formal explanation of some aspect of the natural world, tested and verified by careful observation and experimentation. A good theory is one that also produces accurate and useful predictions. The theory of evolution certainly fits these conditions.
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." --Oscar Wilde

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on November 03, 2017, 12:23:31 AM
Where do viruses fit in the picture?

Viruses are the remnants of the competition for eukaryotic life forms.  They had to evolve into purely parasitic form (but then all of life "eats").  Eukaryotic life forms were originally hybrids of multiple life forms, that created a community, but more intimate than lichen.  Life both competes and cooperates.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: trdsf on November 03, 2017, 12:03:51 AM
As near as we can tell, there was no second abiogenic event after any of the great extinction events -- life is sufficiently good at evolving its way into ecological niches that even after the Permian-Triassic event, where some 95% of marine and 70% of terrestrial species went extinct, that still left quite a bit of life, with a lot of abandoned ecological gaps just waiting to be filled.  A second abiogenesis would mean a form of life not based on DNA as we currently know it, and to date, no one has found any Terrestrial organism that exists outside the DNA tree of life.  Life as it arose on Earth is sufficiently resilient in and of itself that no re-start was needed.

Now, there were probably several abiogeneses in the earliest days of life, all competing with each other for ultimate dominance.  We're descended from the one that reproduced better than the others, and probably 'ingested' (by way of chemically disassembling) their competition for raw material to make copies with.
They've found indicators of life before Theia hit us. Nothing could have survived that impact.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

trdsf

Quote from: fencerider on November 03, 2017, 12:23:31 AM
Where do viruses fit in the picture?
Viruses operate on DNA, or at least bits of it.  So they're still part of our genetic heritage, not of a separate one.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

trdsf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 03, 2017, 06:45:20 AM
They've found indicators of life before Theia hit us. Nothing could have survived that impact.
Ah, I thought you were talking about the known extinction events since our line began, not before.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: trdsf on November 03, 2017, 08:34:21 AM
Ah, I thought you were talking about the known extinction events since our line began, not before.
~3.99 billion years ago.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Great Be To God

Did I guess it?

SGOS

Probability, facts, statistics, science, quantum theory.  I'm losing interest.  I just think the whole invisible God thingy floating around everywhere loving everyone is about the silliest nonsense you could come up with.  Who cares?  With or without a god, reality is what it is.  Why not just deal with that?

AllPurposeAtheist

So I suppose you don't believe Georgie boy chopped down the cherry tree then went to Mr Washington to say, "Oh father,  I cannot tell a lie. I put that envelope under the half a ton of garbage."  Arlo only borrowed the line for artistic reasons..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Hijiri Byakuren

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Blackleaf

Quote from: GBTG on November 02, 2017, 08:53:46 PM
I appreciate the insights to this point and will trouble you no longer. I have the answer to my questions. This was not in vein and you all have been profoundly more helpful than I could have hoped.

Warm regards, GBTG

Running away already, huh
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on November 03, 2017, 10:21:36 AM
Probability, facts, statistics, science, quantum theory.  I'm losing interest.  I just think the whole invisible God thingy floating around everywhere loving everyone is about the silliest nonsense you could come up with.  Who cares?  With or without a god, reality is what it is.  Why not just deal with that?

Why not just have arithmetic and stop with that?  Why not just have Play-Do and stop with that.  People always go beyond.

My reality is made up of human psychologies (primarily).  There are animal psychologies, and plants are also alive (but are probably unconscious).  What is mind?  Does it matter?  What is matter?  Never mind!  Reality isn't space/time/matter/energy ... those are human derived abstractions, mostly empirical, about whatever reality is.  Naive realism of materialism is ... naive.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 03, 2017, 06:45:20 AM

May I ask what indicators?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Jason78

Quote from: GBTG on November 02, 2017, 07:55:43 PM
What if the first book in the Bible Genesis, was or has been read incorrectly for many years.

What if purple unicorns really did poop gold?

It's obvious from even a cursory reading that the book you are referring to was written with absolutely no knowledge about how the world works or where it came from.   It is so far removed from reality that we can dismiss it as fantasy.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Cavebear

Quote from: Jason78 on November 04, 2017, 02:18:16 AM
What if purple unicorns really did poop gold?

It's obvious from even a cursory reading that the book you are referring to was written with absolutely no knowledge about how the world works or where it came from.   It is so far removed from reality that we can dismiss it as fantasy.

Unreality abides in many minds.  Sometimes I can't decide whether do be sad or just screaming crazy.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!