A majority of Democrats like W Bush now

Started by Hydra009, October 29, 2017, 09:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 31, 2017, 09:05:27 AM
Washington was the very man who would not be King in an era of monarchs.

Give the last word to Washington’s great adversary, King George III. The king asked his American painter, Benjamin West, what Washington would do after winning independence. West replied, “They say he will return to his farm.”

“If he does that,” the incredulous monarch said, “he will be the greatest man in the world.”

Close...

It is hard to praise Millard Fillmore.  But he tried to keep the States together, argued against The Fugitive Slave Act, supported honest trade with Asia, and opposed Nationalist designs on Cuba.

Even the least have some good points.

Washington had no male heir.  He had step children from Martha's previous marriage.  Not a good basis for a dynasty.  Also as President, he had CinC ... which isn't what other Presidents of other countries have, and the monarch of GB no longer has (since before Washington became President).  British monarchs even in the American Revolution, leave CinC to professionals.  So in a way, the US President, is superior to a monarch.  That is why I also bristle at the candidacy of Robert Kennedy, George W Bush, Hillary Clinton ... Dynasty is long off the TV.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on October 31, 2017, 04:55:15 PM
Yeah, scratch a Republican and you'd better wash with lye soap!

Are you prejudicial toward sanitation engineers? ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 31, 2017, 11:45:32 AM
Unlike them, I find it difficult to separate the policies from the individual, especially when it comes to torture.  That's a moral red line for me and instantly annihilates whatever goodwill I might hold for the individual.  Imo, supporting torture is a direct reflection of one's humanity/inhumanity and causes severe and lasting damage to one's reputation.  I don't forgive and forget stuff like that.

Teddy Roosevelt supported oppression, and waterboarding, in the Philippines, over 100 years ago.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on October 31, 2017, 10:42:49 AM
Bush was a dunce, period end story  . His most memorable line was, 'Remind me again, how many is a Brazilian? '
I don't think he was mean spirited, but his handlers certainly were and he cut his teeth with the same ilk who were too happy to finance the Nazi war machine, the wests bulwark against Bolshevism . Had the Nazis not gone batshit crazy antisemetic and trying to take over all of Europe and Russia they probably would have won and established the American Nazi party that would have gone on to rule us all, but they went overboard and spread themselves too thin too fast.
They essentially became rebranded as the 'conservatives'.
If Churchill had not ordered the French fleet sunk in N. Africa at Roosevelt's insistence all you Brits would likely be doing the goosestep today along with the rest of the world. The Man in the High Castle may have been more fact than fiction.

The French were even more duplicitous than the English (WW I was exceptional).  So I can see not trusting the Vichy French, even without the American pressure.  But with that, it was a slam dunk.  Most people thought in May 1940 that England would be occupied by Germany six months later.  Nearly was.  Without Churchill, the English would have surrendered, and not had the temerity to betray France (which was no longer France anyway).  A lot of Frenchmen made it to England as part of Dunkirk ... but then were repatriated to France, where they did nothing more.  That itself was a huge mistake, not keeping them as part of a Free French force, earlier than DeGaulle was ready to lead.  Of course full support of England, before Pearl Harbor (rather than tepid support) would have made a difference too.  We were rather relieved and happy that Hitler turned on Stalin instead.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 30, 2017, 06:51:27 PM
Which goes to show, if you scratch a Democrat, you find a Republican underneath.  But not the other way around.

You can rip me and you won't find a conservative Republican underneath.  Republicans want to go back to 1900, Democrats want to get to 2100.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 04, 2017, 01:24:42 AM
You can rip me and you won't find a conservative Republican underneath.  Republicans want to go back to 1900, Democrats want to get to 2100.

All you will find under a former government employee is ... more fur ;-)  It is fur all the way down.  If you aren't a closet Republican, then you are a true Marxist, even if  you aren't a true Scotsman.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on November 04, 2017, 10:31:46 AM
All you will find under a former government employee is ... more fur ;-)  It is fur all the way down.  If you aren't a closet Republican, then you are a true Marxist, even if  you aren't a true Scotsman.

I am probably personally Libertarian but practically Progressive which does confuse people.  I am assuredly not a closet Republican in any sense of the current definition.  And, while I am waiting for a dna test result, I am almost certainly nearly everything in western and northern Europe BUT Scots. 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 07, 2017, 04:14:45 AM
I am probably personally Libertarian but practically Progressive which does confuse people.  I am assuredly not a closet Republican in any sense of the current definition.  And, while I am waiting for a dna test result, I am almost certainly nearly everything in western and northern Europe BUT Scots.

i used to be like you, but complete cynicism won out.

Why not Scots?  Too gay for you ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on November 07, 2017, 06:47:26 AM
i used to be like you, but complete cynicism won out.

Why not Scots?  Too gay for you ;-))

It's the kilts.

Seriously, I would be perfectly fine as part Scottish, it is just not part of the family history (and we go back a bit).  But as I said, the dna will tell.

My guess is that I am 1/4 English, 1/4 French, 1/4 Norman (Viking), and some 1/4 scraps of German, Irish, and Native American (some of my French ancestors seem to have been trappers in Canada and they probably weren't fussy about wives). 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 07, 2017, 06:59:36 AM
It's the kilts.

Seriously, I would be perfectly fine as part Scottish, it is just not part of the family history (and we go back a bit).  But as I said, the dna will tell.

My guess is that I am 1/4 English, 1/4 French, 1/4 Norman (Viking), and some 1/4 scraps of German, Irish, and Native American (some of my French ancestors seem to have been trappers in Canada and they probably weren't fussy about wives).

We would be similar ... but for you the spice is Native American, mine is Ashkenazi.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on November 07, 2017, 07:00:53 AM
We would be similar ... but for you the spice is Native American, mine is Ashkenazi.

I find no special spice in Native American ancestry.  It would probably be less than 1%. and neither revered nor disliked.  I really don't care about minor attributions.  The question is mostly about degree of English vs French and I would be happy either way.  My siblings might not though.

Evil grin... 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 07, 2017, 07:11:08 AM
I find no special spice in Native American ancestry.  It would probably be less than 1%. and neither revered nor disliked.  I really don't care about minor attributions.  The question is mostly about degree of English vs French and I would be happy either way.  My siblings might not though.

Evil grin...

Yes, will your Joan of Arc slay your King Henry V?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Atheon

We only like Bush in comparison to the shit-show we have now.

At least under Bush, despite his evils, it was still business as usual. I didn't have to fear the value of my passport diminishing. Nazis were still universally condemned even by the most right-wing Republican office-holders. Nuclear war was unthinkable; it was certainly not considered a viable first-strike option. There was still a sense of decorum coming from the White House. There was still a sense of stability.

Bush, despite his incompetence and wrong-headedness, at least thought he was doing what's right and wasn't trying to take a sledgehammer to all of America's long-standing institutions. trump is actively trying to destroy everything out of a sense of misplaced revenge and malice.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on November 07, 2017, 07:18:03 AM
Yes, will your Joan of Arc slay your King Henry V?

I'm more aligned with Henry V at Agincourt.  I'd rather wield a longbow than ride a horse in heavy armor.  That stuff was a real PAIN to put on and wear.  Besides, you could drown in a puddle.

Baruch

Quote from: Atheon on November 07, 2017, 07:48:03 AM
We only like Bush in comparison to the shit-show we have now.

At least under Bush, despite his evils, it was still business as usual. I didn't have to fear the value of my passport diminishing. Nazis were still universally condemned even by the most right-wing Republican office-holders. Nuclear war was unthinkable; it was certainly not considered a viable first-strike option. There was still a sense of decorum coming from the White House. There was still a sense of stability.

Bush, despite his incompetence and wrong-headedness, at least thought he was doing what's right and wasn't trying to take a sledgehammer to all of America's long-standing institutions. trump is actively trying to destroy everything out of a sense of misplaced revenge and malice.

Bush-Cheney needed to kill a lot more people, so D party folks wouldn't be nostalgic for a Republican ... sad.  Nietzsche lives ... smash Western Civilization.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.