A majority of Democrats like W Bush now

Started by Hydra009, October 29, 2017, 09:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilgamesh

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 29, 2017, 11:35:04 PM
Not counting transgender ban from the man himself and Mike "shock 'em" Pence?  And this assumption is based primarily from him holding a flag that one of his supporters threw to him.
Uh, no. It comes from him being pro-gay-marriage. He's said as much - multiple times, before he had ever been elected.

QuoteAlright.  Global warming.
Name a policy.

trdsf

Quote from: Shiranu on October 29, 2017, 11:29:51 PM
I will say this... a few days ago, I actually had the thought of, "Man... I actually miss Bush. Even he was better than this shit show."

I don't mean that as a favorable view of him. I only mean that's how bottom of the barrel we are scratching.
This this this this this.

It took Dumbya all the way to 2006 for me to finally say, "You know, crook and all, I miss Nixon now."

I didn't even get to the inauguration before Asshole made me miss Dumbya.  At least he could behave like an adult most of the time, whether or not I liked what he was doing.

What the polling is most likely capturing is not so much "we like W now" as it is "jesus fuck we didn't know it could get THIS much worse!"
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

LostLocke

Quote from: Gilgamesh on October 30, 2017, 12:34:09 PM
Uh, no. It comes from him being pro-gay-marriage. He's said as much - multiple times, before he had ever been elected.
Gay marriage is one aspect. If he's for gays having equal rights as everybody else, he sure isn't doing anything to stop some of the "religious rights exemptions" that are being pushed.

Hydra009

Quote from: Gilgamesh on October 30, 2017, 12:34:09 PMUh, no. It comes from him being pro-gay-marriage. He's said as much - multiple times, before he had ever been elected.
If you seriously think he's pro-gay marriage, I have a bridge to sell you.  At best, he's said it's settled and might not be interested in contesting the Supreme Court ruling (though curiously, when that ruling happened he tweeted "Once again the Bush appointed Supreme Court Justice John Roberts has let us down" apparently disappointed with the ruling that Trumptards say he's fine with)

Trump also supported the First Amendment Marriage Act (I'd link you to Trump's own site where he says this, but it's 404), which would essentially legalize discrimination against gays, appointed a Scalia 2.0 Supreme Court pick, backs the poor persecuted Christian wedding cake baker (gays wanted service, the nerve!)

And if we could talk all day about his other appointees like Sessions or Clovis and other pals of Trump that are most definitely NOT pro gay marriage.

QuoteName a policy.
You don't know a policy related to global warming?  Dafuq?!  You don't even know why Dear Leader is disliked, so apparently I'm going to have to lead you by the hand.

I'm talking about cutting CO2 emissions.  Paris Agreement.  Do you honestly think the War on Coal guy is to the left of Obama when in comes to global warming or will you just admit you bullshitted your way into a corner?

Unbeliever

Quote from: Shiranu on October 30, 2017, 02:45:10 AM
I think perhaps Nixon, though Nixon had the brains to not normally show how sleezy he was, is comparable in someways. But even Nixon had leagues more class than Trump. Probably have to go all the way back to Jackson to find a president who was just as completely and utterly terrible of human being as Trump is.

That is not great company to keep, for either Jackson or Trump.
I seem to recall the Chump idolizes Jackson, so I guess it's a "birds of a feather" kind of thing.

I still can't stand to listen to "W" speak, I still get actually nauseated whenever I try. Lucky for me he isn't as prominent in the media as he was when he occupied the Oval Office.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on October 30, 2017, 12:41:12 PM
This this this this this.

It took Dumbya all the way to 2006 for me to finally say, "You know, crook and all, I miss Nixon now."

I didn't even get to the inauguration before Asshole made me miss Dumbya.  At least he could behave like an adult most of the time, whether or not I liked what he was doing.

What the polling is most likely capturing is not so much "we like W now" as it is "jesus fuck we didn't know it could get THIS much worse!"

Which goes to show, if you scratch a Democrat, you find a Republican underneath.  But not the other way around.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Poison Tree

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 29, 2017, 09:30:52 PM
What changed?
Simple: He's not president anymore. Outside of mocking his speech patterns as a proxy for intelligence, I don't think I've ever heard anyone criticize GWB on a personal level. On the contrary, I've heard many people--even liberals--say things along the line of "he's a guy you could have a beer with". I hope (wish) people judge a president based on policies and the economy (even if I suspect the latter involves a lot of luck & events outside the presidents control) but neither is a concern for former presidents. The question asked for opinions of the person GWB, not his presidency. I suspect that a similar question about Jimmy Carter would also give surprisingly good numbers
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

Cavebear

In 1984, I didn't think it was possible for a US President to dumber than Reagan.  And  then Bush Sr came along and declared that atheists shouldn't be considered "citizens".  Clinton followed and that was good.  Bush Jr got to be President by Supreme Court pure politics.  And HE seemed the dumbest person to ever hold the job. 

Obama came along and proved an intelligent person COULD be a President.  My hope was restored.  Then Trump came along and proved there was no bottom to stupidity.

The recent indictments are the end of the beginning.

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 31, 2017, 12:48:36 AM
In 1984, I didn't think it was possible for a US President to dumber than Reagan.  And  then Bush Sr came along and declared that atheists shouldn't be considered "citizens".  Clinton followed and that was good.  Bush Jr got to be President by Supreme Court pure politics.  And HE seemed the dumbest person to ever hold the job. 

Obama came along and proved an intelligent person COULD be a President.  My hope was restored.  Then Trump came along and proved there was no bottom to stupidity.

The recent indictments are the end of the beginning.

Indict them all, anyone who is presently in office.  Then waterboard them at Guantanamo.

George Washington was our first idiot President (compared to Cavebear) ... then they descend from there.  That is why George Washington seems to be a genius.  Ever hear of Millard Fillmore?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 31, 2017, 06:59:45 AM
Indict them all, anyone who is presently in office.  Then waterboard them at Guantanamo.

George Washington was our first idiot President (compared to Cavebear) ... then they descend from there.  That is why George Washington seems to be a genius.  Ever hear of Millard Fillmore?

Washington was the very man who would not be King in an era of monarchs.

Give the last word to Washington’s great adversary, King George III. The king asked his American painter, Benjamin West, what Washington would do after winning independence. West replied, “They say he will return to his farm.”

“If he does that,” the incredulous monarch said, “he will be the greatest man in the world.”

Close...

It is hard to praise Millard Fillmore.  But he tried to keep the States together, argued against The Fugitive Slave Act, supported honest trade with Asia, and opposed Nationalist designs on Cuba.

Even the least have some good points.

AllPurposeAtheist

Bush was a dunce, period end story  . His most memorable line was, 'Remind me again, how many is a Brazilian? '
I don't think he was mean spirited, but his handlers certainly were and he cut his teeth with the same ilk who were too happy to finance the Nazi war machine, the wests bulwark against Bolshevism . Had the Nazis not gone batshit crazy antisemetic and trying to take over all of Europe and Russia they probably would have won and established the American Nazi party that would have gone on to rule us all, but they went overboard and spread themselves too thin too fast.
They essentially became rebranded as the 'conservatives'.
If Churchill had not ordered the French fleet sunk in N. Africa at Roosevelt's insistence all you Brits would likely be doing the goosestep today along with the rest of the world. The Man in the High Castle may have been more fact than fiction.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Cavebear

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on October 31, 2017, 10:42:49 AM
Bush was a dunce, period end story  . His most memorable line was, 'Remind me again, how many is a Brazilian? '
I don't think he was mean spirited, but his handlers certainly were and he cut his teeth with the same ilk who were too happy to finance the Nazi war machine, the wests bulwark against Bolshevism . Had the Nazis not gone batshit crazy antisemetic and trying to take over all of Europe and Russia they probably would have won and established the American Nazi party that would have gone on to rule us all, but they went overboard and spread themselves too thin too fast.
They essentially became rebranded as the 'conservatives'.
If Churchill had not ordered the French fleet sunk in N. Africa at Roosevelt's insistence all you Brits would likely be doing the goosestep today along with the rest of the world. The Man in the High Castle may have been more fact than fiction.

How quickly we forget the pages of laughable "Shrub Bushisms".  But to be fair, the guy was dumb, not cruel.  Trump is cruel, mean, vindictive, stupid, idiotic, and I'll have to go to the thesaurus for more.

And I understand your point about the failure of Hitler.  Any rationale person could have fought WWII better as the Germans, but no rationale person would have.

Hydra009

Quote from: Poison Tree on October 30, 2017, 11:37:11 PMSimple: He's not president anymore. Outside of mocking his speech patterns as a proxy for intelligence, I don't think I've ever heard anyone criticize GWB on a personal level. On the contrary, I've heard many people--even liberals--say things along the line of "he's a guy you could have a beer with".
Unlike them, I find it difficult to separate the policies from the individual, especially when it comes to torture.  That's a moral red line for me and instantly annihilates whatever goodwill I might hold for the individual.  Imo, supporting torture is a direct reflection of one's humanity/inhumanity and causes severe and lasting damage to one's reputation.  I don't forgive and forget stuff like that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 31, 2017, 11:45:32 AM
Unlike them, I find it difficult to separate the policies from the individual, especially when it comes to torture.  That's a moral red line for me and instantly annihilates whatever goodwill I might hold for the individual.  Imo, supporting torture is a direct reflection of one's humanity/inhumanity and causes severe and lasting damage to one's reputation.  I don't forgive and forget stuff like that.

I completely forgot how President-At-Large Cheney supported torture as a routine device, didn't I?  NOT!  I was saving it.  In a way, Trump came out of the mind of Cheney like Athena from the head of Zeus.   

Cheney wanted to blow up the structures of government and collect power from the rubble.  And when he saw what he had gathered, there was only orange hair and tweets and he saw "this is sure damn well not what I expected".  Only God would understand...  LOL!.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on October 30, 2017, 06:51:27 PM
Which goes to show, if you scratch a Democrat, you find a Republican underneath.  But not the other way around.
Yeah, scratch a Republican and you'd better wash with lye soap!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman