News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Gun Control

Started by joebialek, October 23, 2017, 07:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on November 26, 2017, 02:14:46 AM
I read about a recent semantics study of "bear arms" in common usage in the time the Constitution was written.  It said that "bear arms" was only in militia situations meaning holding military weapons in miltias, not hunting or personal defense.
I had occasion to read the op-ed pieces and pamphleteering of the day when doing a semester on "first responders" (Grad School) in the Antebellum US. I would agree with that study given the information you provided.

Got a "A" for that paper. Sadly, I no longer have most of my grad school work.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Feral Atheist

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 24, 2017, 06:56:57 AM
3% of Americans own half the country's 265 million guns

That's less than a million people owning 132.5 million guns.

Most Americans don't own guns. Must Americans who own guns have just one. The problem isn't with "Americans", it's with ~one in 33 Americans.
Wrong, there are guns in approximately 43% of American homes.  That may mean that at least 1 family member shoots, and can/will pick up arms against a threat. 

And many of us have thousand and thousands of rounds of ammo.
In dog beers I've only had one.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Feral Atheist on December 19, 2017, 06:39:38 PM
Wrong, there are guns in approximately 43% of American homes.  That may mean that at least 1 family member shoots, and can/will pick up arms against a threat. 

And many of us have thousand and thousands of rounds of ammo.
Wrong, as in you know fuck all about math. Most Americans don't own a gun. 43% of Americans live a home that has a gun. That doesn't mean 43% of Americans own a gun.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Feral Atheist on December 19, 2017, 06:39:38 PMThat may mean that at least 1 family member shoots, and can/will pick up arms against a threat. 
What threat?

QuoteAnd many of us have thousand and thousands of rounds of ammo.

Oh, that threat.
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Feral Atheist on December 19, 2017, 06:39:38 PM
Wrong, there are guns in approximately 43% of American homes.
I'm no statistics genius, but I'm pretty sure that both claims are not mutually exclusive; guns are owned in many homes, but some own far more than others.

Also, Gawdzilla's statistic is cited (a practice you would be wise to adopt).  On what basis do you consider it wrong?

Baruch

Competitive statistical virtue signaling by two armed thugs.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 20, 2017, 10:56:36 PM
I'm no statistics genius, but I'm pretty sure that both claims are not mutually exclusive; guns are owned in many homes, but some own far more than others.

Also, Gawdzilla's statistic is cited (a practice you would be wise to adopt).  On what basis do you consider it wrong?
We had a gun in our home when I was a kid. It was a single-shot .410 gauge shotgun. Five people, one gun. Most Americans have one gun or no guns. That's how you say it without being deliberately misleading.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on November 26, 2017, 09:46:27 AM
Correct. 

Thank you...  Every thing else was irrelevant.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!