News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Gun Control

Started by joebialek, October 23, 2017, 07:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on October 26, 2017, 03:14:58 PM
It's not a conspiracy theory when you have Nancy Pelosi telling people that she certainly hopes a piece of proposed gun control legislation is the first step on a slippery slope.
It is a conspiracy theory when they are double damn CERTAIN that's what's going to happen.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

PopeyesPappy

From Pelosi's perspective it's a policy statement.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on October 26, 2017, 03:39:27 PM
From Pelosi's perspective it's a policy statement.
Straining at gnats and swallowing camels again.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

I think Pelosi represents an unusually liberal contingent of the Democratic Party.  What she wishes for does not represent the reality of what Americans in general could live with.  She may wish for a slippery slope, and she might even see it take a couple of steps beyond whatever specific legislation she is talking about, but she won't get to see guns banned.  She's just talking to the 12th district and a select part of the ultra left.    Actually, I doubt that she cares that much anyway.

I also wonder what the left actually wants.  I'm left of left.  Too far left to vote for a typical Democrat, but I am so because of environmental issues.  Yes, I think gun regulation is entirely appropriate, but I have no interest in banning them.  I dunno; I may not be typical, but I wonder about it. 

Politics has become so divisive and partisan that many people end up taking an extreme position based on a knee jerk reaction to the opposite extreme, which often isn't necessarily rational.  I believe there can be room for compromise that can benefit the good of a majority, but the extremes are set up to divide voters along party lines.  We have learned to hate each other, and I believe this has been choreographed by politicians and special interests.

Gawdzilla Sama

Three percent of Americans own half the 256,000,000 guns in the country. That's less that one million Americans owning 123,000,000 guns, over an hundred guns each on the average.

Most Americans don't own guns.

Discounting the 3%, Americans own less than one gun each on the average.

The lunatic fringe of gunownership is the problem here.
PZ Myers

SGOS

A policy statement does not translate directly into a slippery slope.  A policy is a statement of purpose.  In the case of any politician, government organization, or corporate boardroom a policy is at most bullshit.  At the least, it's a malleable guide for consideration, and never followed to a Tee.  Even if it's not bullshit for Pelosi, she doesn't represent a majority by any means.  I can see why Pelosi scares the NRA and the right, but she is not in a position to slide America all the way down a slope, and she knows it.  America in general is far too conservative to let her do it.  I wouldn't judge or fear America by what Pelosi says she wants.

Gawdzilla Sama

No REASONABLE person wants a total gun ban. It would take an act of Congress to revoke my licenses and the one like them. But when the gunners produce a Las Vegas-style event they're actually shooting themselves in the ass, er foot.
PZ Myers

trdsf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 26, 2017, 04:39:12 PM
No REASONABLE person wants a total gun ban. It would take an act of Congress to revoke my licenses and the one like them. But when the gunners produce a Las Vegas-style event they're actually shooting themselves in the ass, er foot.
A total gun ban is not Constitutionally possible anyway.  It would require amendment, and is simply not even a remotely plausible goal on any time frame less than many, many decades -- and isn't really plausible even then.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: trdsf on October 26, 2017, 04:52:30 PM
A total gun ban is not Constitutionally possible anyway.  It would require amendment, and is simply not even a remotely plausible goal on any time frame less than many, many decades -- and isn't really plausible even then.
SCOTUS changed the amendment, they can change it again.

And giving up is not how problems get solved.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 26, 2017, 05:09:00 PM
SCOTUS changed the amendment, they can change it again.

And giving up is not how problems get solved.

Don't like people, then XXX people.  ISIS understands this.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on October 26, 2017, 03:59:37 PM
I think Pelosi represents an unusually liberal contingent of the Democratic Party.  What she wishes for does not represent the reality of what Americans in general could live with.  She may wish for a slippery slope, and she might even see it take a couple of steps beyond whatever specific legislation she is talking about, but she won't get to see guns banned.  She's just talking to the 12th district and a select part of the ultra left.    Actually, I doubt that she cares that much anyway.

I also wonder what the left actually wants.  I'm left of left.  Too far left to vote for a typical Democrat, but I am so because of environmental issues.  Yes, I think gun regulation is entirely appropriate, but I have no interest in banning them.  I dunno; I may not be typical, but I wonder about it. 

Politics has become so divisive and partisan that many people end up taking an extreme position based on a knee jerk reaction to the opposite extreme, which often isn't necessarily rational.  I believe there can be room for compromise that can benefit the good of a majority, but the extremes are set up to divide voters along party lines.  We have learned to hate each other, and I believe this has been choreographed by politicians and special interests.

Just watched a stage rendition of The Crucible.  Before it is over, D and R will be burning each other, as witches ... cackle, cackle
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: joebialek on October 23, 2017, 07:58:26 PM
The second amendment of the United States Constitution states: “A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” Obviously the need for a state militia has been replaced by the National Guard and Coast Guard whereby trained military personnel are entrusted with the defense of this country against domestic enemies. Their weapons are tightly controlled and safeguarded.

The only two reasons for a citizen to own a firearm are for hunting or defense of the household from intruders. In either case, ownership of a handgun, shotgun or rifle is more than adequate to satisfy these purposes. There is absolutely no need for any U.S. civilian to own any weapon more powerful or sophisticated than these.

Accordingly, all handguns, shotguns and rifles must be licensed and registered to the degree necessary to match weapon to owner at the click of a computer key. Furthermore, we must guarantee that the mentally ill do not gain access to them under any circumstances. Finally, if we had prohibited the purchase of more sophisticated weapons several innocent victims would not have died or been harmed at shopping malls, college campuses, Congressional meetings, churches, and now concerts. We as a country must deal with this issue immediately lest our society fall back to the days when everyone carried a holster.

I agree that is the actual meaning of the 2nd amendment.  "A well-regulated militia" is the army.  We just didn't have a standing army then.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

No, the militia was NOT the Army. The militia were locals who would be the first-responders in an emergency.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 27, 2017, 06:09:00 AM
No, the militia was NOT the Army. The militia were locals who would be the first-responders in an emergency.

That WAS the original army and what the Founders thought was possible.  They had no more concept of our modern army that farmers then had of tractors.  The Founders lived in a time of citizen armies and we do not now.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on October 27, 2017, 06:25:24 AM
That WAS the original army and what the Founders thought was possible.  They had no more concept of our modern army that farmers then had of tractors.  The Founders lived in a time of citizen armies and we do not now.
This is what they thought a militia was: https://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=llsp&fileName=019/llsp019.db&recNum=888
PZ Myers