Religion is declining in the US

Started by Hydra009, October 23, 2017, 05:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on November 02, 2017, 10:52:45 AM
If your standard is the scientific method, that's already too high a bar for miracles to clear.

If I had to define a miracle, it would be an event that cannot be explained even by chance -- that is, it genuinely needs to be physically impossible, not merely very improbable.  Only under those circumstances is an appeal to the supernatural remotely plausible.

A good rhetorical position to take, but only rhetorical.  Rhetoric means ... getting to win an argument before the other guy even opens his mouth.  See Sun Tzu on Speaking.  I take the exact opposite definition ... because I am not looking to win by any means necessary.  I don't even care to win.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 02, 2017, 11:45:45 AM

Typical technical textbook at my college.  It is discouraging when even the text writer is trying to cover up his own ignorance.  He does "miracle here" because he can't bridge the gap himself ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on November 01, 2017, 10:22:26 PM
Because Cavebear can't tolerate positive feedback?  I think rather the opposite is true.

I tolerate both positive and negative feedback.  One can't be an atheist and not be used to the negative feedback.  Anything positive is nice.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 02, 2017, 11:45:45 AM

But keep in mind the caption there was something like "I think there may be a problem here".

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on November 02, 2017, 10:52:45 AM
If your standard is the scientific method, that's already too high a bar for miracles to clear.

If I had to define a miracle, it would be an event that cannot be explained even by chance -- that is, it genuinely needs to be physically impossible, not merely very improbable.  Only under those circumstances is an appeal to the supernatural remotely plausible.

Completely agree.   A "miracle" has to be outside all the laws of nature as we understand them.  Stopping a planet's rotation temporarily, for example.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on November 03, 2017, 11:32:01 PM
Completely agree.   A "miracle" has to be outside all the laws of nature as we understand them.  Stopping a planet's rotation temporarily, for example.
And without everything on the planet's surface being flung eastwards at about a thousand miles an hour.  And restarting it without everything being dragged westward at the same speed.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on November 02, 2017, 10:52:45 AMIf I had to define a miracle, it would be an event that cannot be explained even by chance -- that is, it genuinely needs to be physically impossible, not merely very improbable.  Only under those circumstances is an appeal to the supernatural remotely plausible.
And it goes without saying that physically impossible things tend to not happen very often.

Even stuff that may have seemed impossible at the time - like pulsars - become a whole lot less impossible when more is discovered about them.  So there's simply no niche for miracles - either it's understood and definitely not a miracle or not understood and it's too early to tell.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on November 04, 2017, 12:15:15 AM
And without everything on the planet's surface being flung eastwards at about a thousand miles an hour.  And restarting it without everything being dragged westward at the same speed.

Nice to see real physics involved in a discussion on miracles.    If it had happened that the Earth was stopped in rotation, the surface structures would have benn flung off at 1.000 MPH, the winds would have increased by that amount, and (possibly) the crust would have been flung off.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 04, 2017, 12:19:16 AM
And it goes without saying that physically impossible things tend to not happen very often.

Even stuff that may have seemed impossible at the time - like pulsars - become a whole lot less impossible when more is discovered about them.  So there's simply no niche for miracles - either it's understood and definitely not a miracle or not understood and it's too early to tell.

But ape men understand nothing.  Scientist ape men perhaps, but the rest of us ... understand nothing at all.  Unfortunately what we keep discovering is that Nature wants very badly to kill us.  A nearby pulsar would sterilize our planet very quickly from the radiation streaming from its magnetic poles.  If that did happen, it wouldn't be a miracle, but a job well done.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on November 03, 2017, 11:28:04 PM
But keep in mind the caption there was something like "I think there may be a problem here".
Never seen it with that. Stands alone to me.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

Quote from: trdsf on November 04, 2017, 12:15:15 AM
I don't know, it didn't seem that hard when Superman did it...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 06, 2017, 05:26:31 PM
I don't know, it didn't seem that hard when Superman did it...

Oh I love Superman.  Somehow, flying around the Earth fast reverses time.  My favorite thing was when, in one comic, he held a jet from flying.  Now wait a few...  It is one thing to use his super strength to hold something when he has something else to hold onto or crush stuff in his hands (never mind that COAL is plant material and can't be turned into diamond). 

But when he holds a flying jet just by standing on the Earth, all he has is his weight.  And I don't think even DC Comics claimed he weighed 80 tons.  That would have crushed the floors of The Daily Planet offices.  LOL!  IIRC, Marvel comics even made fun of that decades ago.  'Nuff Said'...

fencerider

but but but Superman did a gradual slow down. He didnt stop the earth on a dime. It was probably still fast enough to make huge tidal waves.

If we were talking about Noah’s flood and Joshua’s stopping the sun on the same day there might be some truth to the story ;-)
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Cavebear

Quote from: fencerider on November 11, 2017, 12:50:05 PM
but but but Superman did a gradual slow down. He didnt stop the earth on a dime. It was probably still fast enough to make huge tidal waves.

If we were talking about Noah’s flood and Joshua’s stopping the sun on the same day there might be some truth to the story ;-)

Well he did undo the earthquake.  But he still can't brush his teeth when there is kryptonite around. 

BTW, have you ever considered how massive his planet must have been to spread so much kryptonite around 360 degrees from so far away?  There shouldn't be an atom of the stuff in the solar system.

And Lex Luthor can find a whole chunk of it whenever he wants.  Silly stuff.  Not like the logic of being bitten by a radioactive spider and then being able to climb walls. 

*coff, coff*

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 11, 2017, 01:03:09 PM
Well he did undo the earthquake.  But he still can't brush his teeth when there is kryptonite around. 

BTW, have you ever considered how massive his planet must have been to spread so much kryptonite around 360 degrees from so far away?  There shouldn't be an atom of the stuff in the solar system.

And Lex Luthor can find a whole chunk of it whenever he wants.  Silly stuff.  Not like the logic of being bitten by a radioactive spider and then being able to climb walls. 

*coff, coff*

Kryptonite ... strange meteorite meme.  In an old Dr Who, the meteorites were aliens, who turned into giant plant monsters, beloved by "Green Thumbs" everywhere.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.