Religion is declining in the US

Started by Hydra009, October 23, 2017, 05:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 27, 2017, 12:41:59 PM
So, the argument is that frightened people started religions?

If you aren't frightened, then you are psychotic.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 27, 2017, 12:58:27 PM
The shamans probably got it going. They were the wizards and people expected more of them, especially when they became secretive about their "magic" and claimed special knowledge. From special information about when the aurochs would return to why the lightning flashed in the sky is an easy step.

You mean like Pythagoras? ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on October 28, 2017, 04:43:22 AM
You mean like Pythagoras? ;-)
Pythagoras came after the meme was long established.  You can give him credit for a lot of things, but he didn't invent religion.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on October 28, 2017, 05:18:19 AM
Pythagoras came after the meme was long established.  You can give him credit for a lot of things, but he didn't invent religion.

He along with Thales, invented your religion.  The holy number and holy materialism and holy rationalism.  Great accomplishments to be sure, foundational for modernity (but not much impact prior to 1500 CE).  Of course the scholars of Babylon and Memphis already had studied these things, but empirically.  It was the Greek geeks (not the average Spartan) who made all that ... theoretical.

Ah ... modernity.  Neocolonialism and neoliberalism ... I don't know if I should goose-step with my right or left leg first ;-) ... but as an Anglophone, I am definitely an uber-mensch.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 28, 2017, 02:42:47 PM
He along with Thales, invented your religion.  The holy number and holy materialism and holy rationalism.  Great accomplishments to be sure, foundational for modernity (but not much impact prior to 1500 CE).  Of course the scholars of Babylon and Memphis already had studied these things, but empirically.  It was the Greek geeks (not the average Spartan) who made all that ... theoretical.

Ah ... modernity.  Neocolonialism and neoliberalism ... I don't know if I should goose-step with my right or left leg first ;-) ... but as an Anglophone, I am definitely an uber-mensch.

Religion:  I fear something and don't understand it, therefore it is not understandable and must be worshipped.

Science:  I don't understand something, therefore I will research it it find and answer.  And revise it when new facts are found.

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 31, 2017, 01:10:36 AM
Religion:  I fear something and don't understand it, therefore it is not understandable and must be worshipped.

Science:  I don't understand something, therefore I will research it it find and answer.  And revise it when new facts are found.

Human ... fear everything, understand nothing, worship money.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 31, 2017, 07:18:32 AM
Human ... fear everything, understand nothing, worship money.

I do not worship money.  I could live big but I don't.  I like "relaxed" as a lifestyle.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 31, 2017, 08:18:32 AM
I do not worship money.  I could live big but I don't.  I like "relaxed" as a lifestyle.

You are a wise bear, not a cave bear.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Is he smarter than the average bear?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

I demand that someone close this thread before things get out of hand.  :bedtime:

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on November 01, 2017, 10:06:14 PM
I demand that someone close this thread before things get out of hand.  :bedtime:

Because Cavebear can't tolerate positive feedback?  I think rather the opposite is true.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on October 25, 2017, 12:48:32 PM
I've never seen a miracle, either.  But my standards might be too high, I suppose.
If your standard is the scientific method, that's already too high a bar for miracles to clear.

If I had to define a miracle, it would be an event that cannot be explained even by chance -- that is, it genuinely needs to be physically impossible, not merely very improbable.  Only under those circumstances is an appeal to the supernatural remotely plausible.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman