News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The cause and spread of terrorism

Started by Ibn Khaldun, October 21, 2017, 05:34:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 23, 2017, 07:20:22 AM
Pretty much the same as the christian bible, the jewish torah, and all other such texts.  Always in the past, never in the present.

Correct.  But the fact that people believed the Bible or Quran ... that is the fact, not the content of them.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 23, 2017, 07:22:25 AM
Correct.  But the fact that people believed the Bible or Quran ... that is the fact, not the content of them.

I will smile that "them" actually applies to "people" (or possibly "facts"), not the theistic texts.  But let's get beyond that to what you MEANT.

You are justifying superstition and non-fact...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

pr126

Superstition maybe, but the facts are:
270 million have been butchered so far,  and it is still happening today and will happen into the foreseable future because of some stupid theistic books.

Those are the facts. No smiling matter. It is reality.

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on October 23, 2017, 08:43:09 AM
Superstition maybe, but the facts are:
270 million have been butchered so far,  and it is still happening today and will happen into the foreseable future because of some stupid theistic books.

Those are the facts. No smiling matter. It is reality.

I do not smile about such numbers.  I find them horrifying.  But some theists still have the idea of "kill them all and let God sort them out"  madness as if there was a god and there was a place to send them to in an afterlife.  Those are the ones I fight.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 23, 2017, 07:27:44 AM
I will smile that "them" actually applies to "people" (or possibly "facts"), not the theistic texts.  But let's get beyond that to what you MEANT.

You are justifying superstition and non-fact...

You accuse me ... and I fart in your general direction ... King Arthur of the Britons.  I say "shrubbery"!

It is a fact that people believe things, even things you don't believe.  Deny that if you wish.  And what people believe, that is what causes them to act the way they do (within physical limitations of course).  Nazism was an ideological belief.  It was false.  It helped kill 66 million people.  Your truth didn't stop any of that.  If you had told the truth to a Nazi's face, he would have simply added you to the cordwood in the crematoria.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 23, 2017, 10:17:56 PM
You accuse me ... and I fart in your general direction ... King Arthur of the Britons.  I say "shrubbery"!

It is a fact that people believe things, even things you don't believe.  Deny that if you wish.  And what people believe, that is what causes them to act the way they do (within physical limitations of course).  Nazism was an ideological belief.  It was false.  It helped kill 66 million people.  Your truth didn't stop any of that.  If you had told the truth to a Nazi's face, he would have simply added you to the cordwood in the crematoria.

I have never doubted that some people believe in things I don't.  The question is between "belief" vs fact and whether "belief" will rule the world.  I have some hopes (based on some areas of the world grdually becoming more atheist) that we humans MIGHT achieve a rational view of the world and escape the superstitions of theism.

That outcome is assuredly not certain.  But there does seem to be a progression in that direction in the more developed and educated world.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 27, 2017, 04:12:32 AM
I have never doubted that some people believe in things I don't.  The question is between "belief" vs fact and whether "belief" will rule the world.  I have some hopes (based on some areas of the world grdually becoming more atheist) that we humans MIGHT achieve a rational view of the world and escape the superstitions of theism.

That outcome is assuredly not certain.  But there does seem to be a progression in that direction in the more developed and educated world.

Belief has always ruled the world, always will.  I decline your offer to join you in pissing up wind.  And rationality ... is a belief system too.

All men are clams
Socrates is a man
Therefore Socrates is a clam

Rationality doesn't get you shit (in most cases).  Empirical facts do, but then most people confuse those two.  And it is an empirical fact that people are irrational, and often deny facts.  Wishing it wasn't so ... how is that working out for you?  I don't prescribe, I just describe.  People who prescribe, are Evangelicals for their own memes.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 27, 2017, 07:04:59 AM
Belief has always ruled the world, always will.  I decline your offer to join you in pissing up wind.  And rationality ... is a belief system too.

All men are clams
Socrates is a man
Therefore Socrates is a clam

Rationality doesn't get you shit (in most cases).  Empirical facts do, but then most people confuse those two.  And it is an empirical fact that people are irrational, and often deny facts.  Wishing it wasn't so ... how is that working out for you?  I don't prescribe, I just describe.  People who prescribe, are Evangelicals for their own memes.

Belief HAS ruled the world.  But I think the day will come when it does not.  Facts accumulate, belief fades.