Prostitution should be legalized in brothels

Started by Coveny, October 20, 2017, 05:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on October 23, 2017, 03:18:14 AM
If it is truly consensual (and I doubt that in most cases), it could be legitimized.
That's the main wedge right there - well-meaning people who says it's permissible VS well-meaning people who say it's not permissible (and then there are those who say it's an affront to God, which I can safely exclude from the well-meaning category)

Certain assumptions about the nature of the industry are bandied about.  Accusations of controlling women levied at one side, which counters with accusations of exploiting women.  Narratives are crafted and anecdotes set sail, both seemingly equally convincing.  What's a decent, rational person to conclude?

Imo, the ambiguity is all the more reason for everything to be done as transparently as possible, to ensure that any shady dealings are exposed as quickly as possible.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 24, 2017, 12:15:11 AM
That's the main wedge right there - well-meaning people who says it's permissible VS well-meaning people who say it's not permissible (and then there are those who say it's an affront to God, which I can safely exclude from the well-meaning category)

Certain assumptions about the nature of the industry are bandied about.  Accusations of controlling women levied at one side, which counters with accusations of exploiting women.  Narratives are crafted and anecdotes set sail, both seemingly equally convincing.  What's a decent, rational person to conclude?

Imo, the ambiguity is all the more reason for everything to be done as transparently as possible, to ensure that any shady dealings are exposed as quickly as possible.

Yes, we will all get along, and no more criminality.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on October 23, 2017, 11:47:08 PM
The AIDS test can be 99% accurately done in less than 2 min. The rest can be dealt with by medical treatment. STDs that are bacteria can be treated in 2 or 3 weeks. Those that are viruses I think all have vaccines.

For the sake of argument how long would it take to do all the tests, if the brothel had a lab in the backroom?ðŸ¤"

Who is going to make sure they are paying their taxes?

Make all enterprise government enterprise, comrade.  Then IRS can collect itself.  And why do you want to tax anything?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Sex is such a strong biological drive and one this culture seems to put under the microscope much more so than other biological drives.  Eating is a strong biological drive as well.  And we seem to have strong regulations and social norms for it; all the bad things that can happen with sex can happen with food.  But we all recognize that eating is going to happen.  Sex is regarded as bad in a huge portion of our society.  And it is regulated to the max.  It seems to me that those regulations come from those who want to control everything we think and do--christian authorities from long ago up to now.  Legalized prostitution (even that word suggests that two people having sex is 'dirty or bad', and should be dropped from use) will in the future be considered as normal and acceptable.  Yes, not in my lifetime, but it is coming.  (Pun intended)
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mermaid

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 24, 2017, 10:03:13 AM
Sex is regarded as bad in a huge portion of our society.  And it is regulated to the max.  It seems to me that those regulations come from those who want to control everything we think and do--christian authorities from long ago up to now. 
At least for women. The rules are a bit different for men.

Well, straight men.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mike Cl

Quote from: Mermaid on October 24, 2017, 10:33:57 AM
At least for women. The rules are a bit different for men.

Well, straight men.
Yeah, isn't that the truth!!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: fencerider on October 23, 2017, 11:47:08 PM
The AIDS test can be 99% accurately done in less than 2 min. The rest can be dealt with by medical treatment. STDs that are bacteria can be treated in 2 or 3 weeks. Those that are viruses I think all have vaccines.

For the sake of argument how long would it take to do all the tests, if the brothel had a lab in the backroom?ðŸ¤"

Who is going to make sure they are paying their taxes?

Let people do with their bodies as they chose, but not under any compulsion.  Arrest all the pimps. 

And equally, arrest all the drug-dealers and leave the addicts alone legally (but with medical help).
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 27, 2017, 03:25:56 AM
Let people do with their bodies as they chose, but not under any compulsion.  Arrest all the pimps. 

And equally, arrest all the drug-dealers and leave the addicts alone legally (but with medical help).

And indirect like, for a sensible suggestion.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 27, 2017, 01:44:39 PM
And indirect like, for a sensible suggestion.

I'm always sensible.  Its the "likes" that don't catch up with me sometimes.  So I've been told...  LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!