News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Cooking/heating without fire

Started by Unbeliever, October 19, 2017, 02:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

I thought some of you might find this useful.

There are ways to heat and cook using only the power of the sun - and really simple to do, as well.

Here's a method using only water and plastic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeSyHgO5fmQ

This next uses a Fresnel lens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFw7U7V1Hok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrje73EyKag

Here's an adjustable parabolic mirror made of mylar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7o1JGFWOWE

These are all pretty cool methods. When I get a chance I'll be giving them a try. I expect great care should be taken when making and using such things.

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hydra009

I'd much rather have one of these:

SGOS

I don't know.  Some of those contraptions look rather unwieldy.

Honey, what's for dinner?
Baloney sandwiches.
Is that all?
It rained all day, and I couldn't cook anything.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 19, 2017, 05:18:57 PM

As a former hunter, I think there should be a deer season for those who like to hunt with a parabolic death ray.  It would be challenging and sportsmanlike.  Give the deer a chance.  But there would still be a general season for the old timers who prefer explosives.

Gawdzilla Sama

There's nothing sporting about using technology to kill dumb animals.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 20, 2017, 09:17:12 AM
There's nothing sporting about using technology to kill dumb animals.
There was actually a movement in some state years ago to adopt a spear only season.  It was never adopted, and I always wondered if the movement was anything more than a political prank.  It did make the news, although not as some major controversy, just as an entertaining news article.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on October 20, 2017, 09:52:33 AM
There was actually a movement in some state years ago to adopt a spear only season.  It was never adopted, and I always wondered if the movement was anything more than a political prank.  It did make the news, although not as some major controversy, just as an entertaining news article.
I went along as back-up gunner for a guy who was hunting razorbacks with a bow and arrow. He had big round ones so I agreed to try to help him be alive at the end of the hunt. When he got his boar I complimented him on putting his bolt through an eye. He slowly sank to the ground, shaking visibly.

"I was aiming for his mouth."
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 19, 2017, 05:18:57 PM

Too bad Archimedes didn't have mylar - he could've won a sea battle single-handedly!
God Not Found

Unbeliever

Quote from: SGOS on October 20, 2017, 09:52:33 AM
I'd rather people had to catch/kill deer with their bare hands - now that would be sporting!
God Not Found

SGOS

Quote from: Unbeliever on October 20, 2017, 01:14:38 PM
I'd rather people had to catch/kill deer with their bare hands - now that would be sporting!
I admit, spears are still high tech, even cutting edge years ago.

Baruch

Noodling for fish.  I know a guy who has done that.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on October 20, 2017, 06:04:32 PM
I admit, spears are still high tech, even cutting edge years ago.

Odysseus hunted wild boar with a spear as a young man, but the boar sometimes won.  He could be identified by a scar one of the boars left in him.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

There was a situation decades ago where, if I had had a spear, I would have dropped on a deer from a stand.  I almost did it with an arrow (being 16 and rather crazy), but it didn't seem quite sufficient.  I think with a spear, yes.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!