News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

My take on regret

Started by Mr.Obvious, October 18, 2017, 07:41:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hijiri Byakuren

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Baruch

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on October 19, 2017, 08:20:38 PM
TIL @Mr.Obvious and I are the same age.

So, are you the same "generation" or is that a fake concept?  Of course, he has a different nationality.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Baruch on October 19, 2017, 10:07:31 PM
So, are you the same "generation" or is that a fake concept?  Of course, he has a different nationality.
The baby boomers are actually the only scientifically recognized generation. The rest were assigned and labeled by the news media.

Sent while riding my mighty steed: Godzilla
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

SGOS

The older you get, the more regrets you will have, because you've been around longer to accumulate successes and failures.  I could have made better career choices, I suppose, but at the time, they made sense.  I came from a family without means so a marginal salary seemed better than the environment I came from.  The upside is that I learned not to throw away my money. 

My regrets center more around bad choices I made in personal relationships, things I've done that could have worked out better had I used my head, but at the time, it was probably the best I could do.  I know better now, but that's not much consolation.  Those mistakes are on the permanent record I keep in my head.

I don't think regrets are a bad thing, and I don't think you should ignore them.  They become part of our experience, and prevent us from repeating mistakes.  Don't sweep them under the carpet, but don't dwell on them obsessively, either.  If you dwell on them and live to be 150 years old, you will probably reach a time when you will regret spending too much time dwelling on your regrets.  I think there's a productive balance point between ignoring them and wallowing in them.

Cavebear

Quote from: Jason78 on October 19, 2017, 08:08:59 PM
What's a regret?

"a feeling of sadness, repentance, or disappointment over something that has happened or been done"

I'm surprised you don't know this word. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!