Trump to Widow of Soldier: "He Knew What He Signed Up For"

Started by Shiranu, October 18, 2017, 01:15:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 31, 2017, 01:05:16 AM
And that is why the citizens get to vote.  Sure the rich try their best to stay on top, but the 99% sometimes get things right.  Clinton, Gore, Obama, Clinton.

Ha ... some apes are more equal than the other apes ...

Voting is controlled opposition, just like everything else.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 31, 2017, 07:16:39 AM
Ha ... some apes are more equal than the other apes ...

Voting is controlled opposition, just like everything else.

No. the voting is pooched lately.  Rural States get a disproportionate electoral vote and many States are skewed locally.  There is a reason Democrats get 60% of the votes in some States and less than half the congressional districts.  It's called "Gerrymandering".  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerrymandering
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 31, 2017, 08:30:15 AM
No. the voting is pooched lately.  Rural States get a disproportionate electoral vote and many States are skewed locally.  There is a reason Democrats get 60% of the votes in some States and less than half the congressional districts.  It's called "Gerrymandering".  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerrymandering

Don't worry, nuclear warheads will solve our urban problem.  The Corn Palace will be safe ;-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_Palace
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on October 31, 2017, 08:30:15 AM
The good news is that it looks like Kennedy is the swing vote on the gerrymandering case before the Supreme Court, and it further looks like Kennedy is leaning towards finding a way to restrict or bar gerrymandering.  His questioning of the "pro-gerrymandering" attorneys was sharp and harsh; he did not even question the attorneys opposite.  Historically, Kennedy reserves his stronger questioning for the side he is leaning away from.  It's not a foolproof rule, but it is a historical indicator of which way he may go.

Granted that predicting the Supreme Court is about as easy as Kremlinology during the Cold War, or forecasting who the next pope will be, there's still some tentative cause for optimism.  The most likely outcome is a 5-4 majority that strikes partisan gerrymandering when it passes some recognizable point.

There's a slim chance Roberts may join if the decision hinges on something like 'one person, one vote' rather than more abstruse legal reasoning -- I get the feeling that Roberts has always had one eye on his legacy, and wouldn't care to be a Chief Justice who voted against an equal-access decision.  A decision to strike in principle, but with only tepid remedies, might be enough to coax him over.  And while it wouldn't be a perfect decision, it would be a step in the right direction.

Alito, Thomas and The Interloper are hopeless, of course.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Yes, ending gerrymandering would be nice.  We haven't done it in over 200 years, but we can keep hoping.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on November 01, 2017, 01:01:18 PM
The good news is that it looks like Kennedy is the swing vote on the gerrymandering case before the Supreme Court, and it further looks like Kennedy is leaning towards finding a way to restrict or bar gerrymandering.  His questioning of the "pro-gerrymandering" attorneys was sharp and harsh; he did not even question the attorneys opposite.  Historically, Kennedy reserves his stronger questioning for the side he is leaning away from.  It's not a foolproof rule, but it is a historical indicator of which way he may go.

Granted that predicting the Supreme Court is about as easy as Kremlinology during the Cold War, or forecasting who the next pope will be, there's still some tentative cause for optimism.  The most likely outcome is a 5-4 majority that strikes partisan gerrymandering when it passes some recognizable point.

There's a slim chance Roberts may join if the decision hinges on something like 'one person, one vote' rather than more abstruse legal reasoning -- I get the feeling that Roberts has always had one eye on his legacy, and wouldn't care to be a Chief Justice who voted against an equal-access decision.  A decision to strike in principle, but with only tepid remedies, might be enough to coax him over.  And while it wouldn't be a perfect decision, it would be a step in the right direction.

Alito, Thomas and The Interloper are hopeless, of course.

I expect that Kennedy will become just the 4th vote of the minority opinion...

Cavebear

The difference between Abraham Lincoln and Donald Trump:

Trump:  "He knew what he signed up for."

Abraham Lincoln:

Executive Mansion,
Washington, Nov. 21, 1864.

Dear Madam,--

I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle.

I feel how weak and fruitless must be any word of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save.

I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.

Yours, very sincerely and respectfully,

A. Lincoln

Kind of a difference there, right?

Baruch

Apples and oranges comparison much?  And sorry, Abraham Lincoln had his constitutional problems too, but that didn't stop him.  I give him an A for vision and an A for trying.  What we need is a good civil war against the Democrats, and a suspension of civil liberties.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on November 04, 2017, 10:57:11 AM
Apples and oranges comparison much?  And sorry, Abraham Lincoln had his constitutional problems too, but that didn't stop him.  I give him an A for vision and an A for trying.  What we need is a good civil war against the Democrats, and a suspension of civil liberties.

I eat both apples and oranges daily.  And plums and strawberries and bananas.  The mix is not bad, but good. 

My point was that Lincoln understood how to discuss sensitive and personal griefs with families in a time when 10,000 soldiers could be killed in a single day, and Trump cannot deal with 4 in two weeks...

Trump didn't care; they were just "temp employees" in his mind.