Trump to Widow of Soldier: "He Knew What He Signed Up For"

Started by Shiranu, October 18, 2017, 01:15:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on October 18, 2017, 08:12:08 PM
As I've said before, america's survived Nixon, two Bush's and Ulysses S. Grant, I think it'll be fine.
Perhaps.  Sometimes, you recover from hardship.  Sometimes, you don't.  Who can know until it's years behind us?

Certainly, Americans living through the civil war didn't know how things would shake out at the time.  Nor the Vietnam protestors.  Nor us, right now.

Baruch

Trump unites atheists and theists, in a manner of speaking.  Theists exclaim "god is dead" and atheists exclaim "devil is alive".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gilgamesh

Quote from: Shiranu on October 18, 2017, 08:22:48 PM
This is NOT normal behaviour, and acting like it is only encourages it. And we should not pretend for a second that this is normal, and end up making it normal.

It is. You're over-reacting. Boohoo.

Gilgamesh

By the way, there's still 0 proof he even worded it that way. Which is almost irrelevant, though, because what he's being accused of isn't even remotely bad.

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 18, 2017, 09:39:25 PM
Perhaps.  Sometimes, you recover from hardship.  Sometimes, you don't.  Who can know until it's years behind us?

Certainly, Americans living through the civil war didn't know how things would shake out at the time.  Nor the Vietnam protestors.  Nor us, right now.

I missed that quote, but I would also like to contend that the United States has still yet to recover from the civil war, and that was a hundred umph years ago.

To me given that, if the civil war is the bar we are approaching, then that is all the more reason to be concerned. When people are saying we haven't been this divided since Vietnam or saying we survived the civil war... that is not good. That is not even remotely good. The go all Goodwin, that's like saying Germany survived Ww1 and 2... I mean...sure?... but I don't think the Germans are better off for doing so, and those things still effect Germany today.

Or to put it another way... yes, Scotland and Ireland have survived British imperialism... that shouldn't be the bar or standard we aim for, though.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

Quote from: Gilgamesh on October 18, 2017, 10:37:48 PM
It is. You're over-reacting. Boohoo.

No, you're just a douchebag. Like idol, like idoliser.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

One last thing... yes, WE survived Nixon, Reagan, Bush. You know who didn't? Millions of innocent Iraqis. Victims of ISIS violence created from the war on terror power vacuum. The millions of people in sweat shops, in poverty, from Regan era trade agreements. The millions who have died or suffered from our terrible republican healthcare corruption.

If that is what we are at... you're trying to comfort me with that? Really now?

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on October 18, 2017, 10:42:09 PMI missed that quote, but I would also like to contend that the United States has still yet to recover from the civil war, and that was a hundred umph years ago.

To me given that, if the civil war is the bar we are approaching, then that is all the more reason to be concerned. When people are saying we haven't been this divided since Vietnam or saying we survived the civil war... that is not good. That is not even remotely good. The go all Goodwin, that's like saying Germany survived Ww1 and 2... I mean...sure?... but I don't think the Germans are better off for doing so, and those things still effect Germany today.

Or to put it another way... yes, Scotland and Ireland have survived British imperialism... that shouldn't be the bar or standard we aim for, though.
That's true.  Just because we recover (sort of) doesn't mean this stuff doesn't have lasting repercussions.  All I know is I read the politics section and this is what I see:  https://www.instagram.com/p/BCxDMPNpmhs/

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 18, 2017, 07:35:28 PM
It likely wouldn't have been news if Trump hadn't first declared that Obama didn't properly perform his job informing/comforting bereaved military families.  Now the accusation is boomeranging right back to him.  The media didn't create this gaffe.
As it is with every presidency. What else is new?

new guy comes in and people blame the old guy for shit and the people that didn't vote for the current guy gets blamed for shit too. And the circle continues....

Shiranu

Quotenew guy comes in and people blame the old guy for shit and the people that didn't vote for the current guy gets blamed for shit too. And the circle continues....

What?

People aren't blaming the old guy (Obama), only Trump was. Literally no one supported him on that, and then a week later this happens and blows up in his face. This has nothing to do with anyone but Trump digging himself a hole, and then digging it a little bit deeper.

I know you aren't a Trump fan, so I'm trying not to word this like I would towards Gilg... but just... honestly?

Ask yourself from 10 years ago, 20 years ago, or your parents... would the president of the United States, in normal times, being callus towards a KiA soldier's pregnant widow, been a non-issue, regardless of what party he was from? Would it be a non-issue when he has a history of insulting soldier's grieving families and ridiculing a PoW for being... a PoW?

I'm sorry, but this shit is not normal. We cannot let this shit be "normal".

I'm sorry, but this is just... there is no historical precedence for this. This is a guy continuing to dig a hole deeper and deeper, and people turning around and either jumping straight in it with him because he can do no wrong, or saying that the hole isn't even a big deal. Sure, when the hole was a few inches deep, I can grant you that... but we are about 20 kilometers past that now, and people still are saying, "Meh, just ignore it.".

PickelledEggs

Literally no one blamed Obama for things? You have a sheltered circle of people to talk politics with, buddy. What did you do? Pull a jmpty and block everyone on facebook that even slightly isn't in agreement with you 100%?

No one is letting this be normal, but you are overreacting, as are many people.
Don't mistake things like this got "ignoring it" for realizing there is better things to do with my time and life, than bitch and moan like conservatives did for 8 years... Although liberals are even worse than conservatives in that sense, at this point. And conservatives are still really bad.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

PickelledEggs

And this presidency really isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. People are over reacting over trivial shit like this constantly and that's really all it is. Nothing really has happened that has been good, but at the same time, nothing really has happened that is bad either.

PickelledEggs

I'm ready for the "holier than thou / I'm offended by what is going on and anyone that isn't offended is wrong" response.

Munch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on October 19, 2017, 02:04:21 AM
And this presidency really isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. People are over reacting over trivial shit like this constantly and that's really all it is. Nothing really has happened that has been good, but at the same time, nothing really has happened that is bad either.

Is there a way I can post you a back pat? People's overreaction to trump is both laughable and irritating to keep seeing popping up on forums everyday more then what stupid shit trump is doing himself
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on October 19, 2017, 02:10:11 AM
I'm ready for the "holier than thou / I'm offended by what is going on and anyone that isn't offended is wrong" response.

People soon forget.  They voted for Bill Clinton or not .. and they conclude he is an asshole or a genius.  Repeat with George W Bush.  Repeat with Barak Obama.  Repeat with Donald Trump ... but like Avis, The Donald tries harder ;-(  And there is only one politician in the US, maybe only one person ... the jerk de jure ... The POTUS.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.