Trump to Widow of Soldier: "He Knew What He Signed Up For"

Started by Shiranu, October 18, 2017, 01:15:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gilgamesh

Cavebear

Quote from: Gilgamesh on October 18, 2017, 01:20:58 AM
wah wah.

He didn't say anything bad. Don't care.

We are talking about the Trump who said that McCain was a "loser" because he was captured, right?

"McCain's capture and subsequent imprisonment occurred on October 26, 1967. He was flying his 23rd bombing mission over Hanoi in North Vietnam when his A-4E Skyhawk was shot down by a missile.[34][35] McCain fractured both arms and a leg when he ejected from the aircraft,[36] and nearly drowned after he parachuted into Trúc Bạch Lake.[34] Some North Vietnamese pulled him ashore, then others crushed his shoulder with a rifle butt and bayoneted him.[34] McCain was then transported to Hanoi's main Hỏa Lò Prison, nicknamed the "Hanoi Hilton".[35]

Although McCain was seriously wounded and injured, his captors refused to treat him. They beat and interrogated him to get information, and he was given medical care only when the North Vietnamese discovered that his father was a high-ranking admiral.[37] His status as a prisoner of war (POW) made the front pages of major newspapers.[38][39]

McCain spent six weeks in the hospital, where he received marginal care.[34] He had lost 50 pounds (23 kg), was in a chest cast, and his gray hair had turned as white as snow.[34] McCain was sent to a different camp on the outskirts of Hanoi.[40] In December 1967, McCain was placed in a cell with two other Americans who did not expect him to live more than a week.[41] In March 1968, McCain was placed into solitary confinement, where he would remain for two years.[42]

Beginning in August 1968, McCain was subjected to a program of severe torture.[45] He was bound and beaten every two hours; this punishment occurred at the same time that he was suffering from dysentery.[34][45] Further injuries led McCain to attempt suicide, which was stopped by guards.[34] Eventually, McCain made an anti-U.S. propaganda "confession".[34] He has always felt that his statement was dishonorable, but as he later wrote, "I had learned what we all learned over there: every man has his breaking point. I had reached mine."[46][47] Many U.S. POWs were tortured and maltreated in order to extract "confessions" and propaganda statements;[48] virtually all of them eventually yielded something to their captors.[49] McCain received two to three beatings weekly because of his continued refusal to sign additional statements.[50]

McCain refused to meet various anti-war groups seeking peace in Hanoi, wanting to give neither them nor the North Vietnamese a propaganda victory.[51] From late 1969, treatment of McCain and many of the other POWs became more tolerable,[52] while McCain continued actively to resist the camp authorities.[53] McCain and other prisoners cheered the U.S. "Christmas Bombing" campaign of December 1972, viewing it as a forceful measure to push North Vietnam to terms.[47][54]

McCain was a prisoner of war in North Vietnam for five and a half years until his release on March 14, 1973.[55] His wartime injuries left him permanently incapable of raising his arms above his head.[56]?

From Wikipedia, hence the footnotes....
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Shiranu

Quote from: Gilgamesh on October 18, 2017, 01:20:58 AM
wah wah.

He didn't say anything bad. Don't care.

You're right, telling the pregnant, grieving widow of a soldier who died in combat, "Meh, he knew what he was getting into." isn't bad.

I'm sure you're just the most charming person that everyone loves.

@Cavebear: Just this week he said that previous president's never called widows to offer their condolences, then back-tracked on that to say they probably never did, he didn't know, after contacting General Kelly who's son had just died. And of course there is his harassment of the Khan family, who's son received a Medal of Honor posthumously, and used that as an opportunity to attack Muslims.

But remember; kneeling to the flag (a protest that was recommended by a Green Beret to Kap) is disrespectful to the troops, but voting a man like this into office isn't.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on October 18, 2017, 01:37:57 AM
You're right, telling the pregnant, grieving widow of a soldier who died in combat, "Meh, he knew what he was getting into." isn't bad.

I'm sure you're just the most charming person that everyone loves.

He did know, and she did know, and more honor to them both.  And the soldier respect posthumously and the spouse and children deserve our support after.

Shiranu

Quote from: Cavebear on October 18, 2017, 01:43:12 AM
He did know, and she did know, and more honor to them both.  And the soldier respect posthumously and the spouse and children deserve our support after.

Oh for sure he knew... but that's just not what you fucking grieving widow. That's just kicking someone in the teeth while their down. A random asshole on the internet doing it? Okay, it's just means your a terrible human being. But the fucking president of the United States doing that? Honestly.

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on October 18, 2017, 01:45:04 AM
Oh for sure he knew... but that's just not what you fucking grieving widow. That's just kicking someone in the teeth while their down. A random asshole on the internet doing it? Okay, it's just means your a terrible human being. But the fucking president of the United States doing that? Honestly.

What do you want to bet that eventually we will learn that whatever letters of support Trump sent to grieving military families were autopenned?

PickelledEggs

As a liberal, I'm getting tired of liberal media turning in to what conservative media was for the last 4 years. Actually it already has turned in to it, pre-trump, which is a reason that I can bet is a huge part of why he is in office

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Shiranu

Quote from: PickelledEggs on October 18, 2017, 02:16:29 AM
As a liberal, I'm getting tired of liberal media turning in to what conservative media was for the last 4 years. Actually it already has turned in to it, pre-trump, which is a reason that I can bet is a huge part of why he is in office

Yeah, because being a dick to the military and their family is more-or-less the same of the Conservative medias outrage over... Obama wore a tan suit (eghads!), went golfing (the horror!), is Obama REALLY America (totally not racist though!) and every other non-issue they brought up. Particularly when we are literally having giant demonstrations about people "desprespecting" the military by excising their right to free speech, and the president is bragging about how he is the only president to send letters to troop's families (until he was called on it, to which he then said, 'well, I don't know if that's true, but it's what I have been told so it might be!').

Yup. Basically the same thing...

:roll:

(Also, conservatives have called him on this as well. But sure, let's pretend this is just the big-bad left out to get poor wittle Trump...)

PickelledEggs

It's bad, yes, but it's fucking trivial... Just like how they talked about Obama.

PickelledEggs

And oh yeah, I meant 8 years they talked like this about Obama. This is barely even news

Shiranu

Quote from: PickelledEggs on October 18, 2017, 02:41:16 AM
And oh yeah, I meant 8 years they talked like this about Obama. This is barely even news

I agree it shouldn't be news, but the problem is that there are still huge hold outs of people who don't think he is an absolutely horrible human being.

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on October 18, 2017, 03:23:49 AM
I agree it shouldn't be news, but the problem is that there are still huge hold outs of people who don't think he is an absolutely horrible human being.

And by "he" you mean...?

Baruch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on October 18, 2017, 02:16:29 AM

Both are shills for the CIA.  The MO has to be the same.  See Goebbels around?  He must still be alive, one of the Nazis America took home after WW II.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on October 18, 2017, 03:23:49 AM

We are all horrible human beings.  You wouldn't know, unless you are one too.  Look in the mirror.  Then be chastised.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.