Trump to Widow of Soldier: "He Knew What He Signed Up For"

Started by Shiranu, October 18, 2017, 01:15:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: PickelledEggs on October 19, 2017, 04:27:42 PM
Nice zinger. I'd like to hear what you're assuming my biases are.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Seems like they're about 50% of reality.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

Quote from: Shiranu on October 19, 2017, 12:26:06 PM
No one is asking me to force you to read these threads, and yet I am still forcing you to read them?

PE is an admin and needs to read all posts to make sure we're staying within the rules.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Shiranu

Quote from: Munch on October 19, 2017, 04:59:47 PM
PE is an admin and needs to read all posts to make sure we're staying within the rules.

Fair play.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: PickelledEggs on October 19, 2017, 04:26:25 PM
Yes. Shir is correct, but only partially. Trump and the media work hand in hand. He did not start this on his own. The media is not stupid, but it is predictable. It just wants to start drama.
The media loves covering drama.  And Trump loves starting it.  If it weren't for Trump periodically threatening the media in retaliation for unfavorable coverage, I would call it a mutualistic relationship.

QuoteThe interesting thing about Trump is he isn't malicious. He's incompetent. Liberal media will go out of their way to spin things like Trump is horrible and evil, when in reality he just doesn't know what he's doing.
I dunno about that.  Sure, he's not the next Hitler, but there's definitely a lot about his policies that could be attributed to malice against specific segments of the population.

But let's say you're right and everything he's done wrong is only due to incompetence.  For quite a few issues, like environmental regulations or net neutrality, is there really a functional difference between non-malicious harm and malicious harm?  The outcome is exactly the same either way.

QuoteTrump has proven time and time again that he is incapable of using his words right. And when  he says something dumb, the media spins it I'm the way that he's only capable of being a prick, just like when Obama did something or couldn't accomplish something constructive media blamed him for being incompetent. I don't think Trump is fit for the job... not even close, but this is predictable by the media's standards.
Well, there was that thing with McCain.  "He’s a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren’t captured."  It's very difficult to explain that as anything other than being a prick.  I simply figured that given his track record, him acting like a prick again is somewhat plausible.

QuoteRemember. The media made Trump president in the first place. Especially liberal media. It made Trump president even more than  conservative media could ever hope for.
Oh, I know.  They covered the hell out of the guy, back before he was even a frontrunner in the primary.  He played the media like a fiddle then and arguably still has a great deal of control over what gets covered now.  That's why this narrative of the media taking this non-story and puffing it up until it's big news isn't terribly plausible.  The much simpler explanation is that they were drawn to drama already in progress.

Mike Cl

Quote from: PickelledEggs on October 19, 2017, 04:39:33 PM
I thought this was about what he said to the relative of a fallen soldier.

I fear for the country because of the voice he gave to nazis, but this is a different topic.

Yeah, it is.  But it is difficult to not see it as simply another example of him not being able to demonstrate he has even the basic human emotions--and he just can't feel empathy for anybody but himself.  Nobody seems to take him at his spoken words.  Everybody wants to put words (that he did not speak) into his mouth.  Just examine what he says and how he says it.  He is a broken man.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gilgamesh

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 19, 2017, 04:28:42 PM
  And he has not came out as being against it, but has tacitly supported it.
Well, no; no, he hasn't. But you already lost this debate in another thread. Yet, here you are, still pushing a position that you lost on. See, that, to me, screams, "shitty person."

Nobody seems to take him at his spoken words.  Everybody wants to put words (that he did not speak) into his mouth. 
Are you fucking daft? This whole thread is based on a claim about what he said that has not been - and will not be - substantiated.

Baruch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on October 19, 2017, 04:26:25 PM
Yes. Shir is correct, but only partially. Trump and the media work hand in hand. He did not start this on his own. The media is not stupid, but it is predictable. It just wants to start drama.

The interesting thing about Trump is he isn't malicious. He's incompetent. Liberal media will go out of their way to spin things like Trump is horrible and evil, when in reality he just doesn't know what he's doing. But hey, articles have to make headlines... Aka money.

Trump has proven time and time again that he is incapable of using his words right. And when  he says something dumb, the media spins it I'm the way that he's only capable of being a prick, just like when Obama did something or couldn't accomplish something constructive media blamed him for being incompetent. I don't think Trump is fit for the job... not even close, but this is predictable by the media's standards.

Remember. The media made Trump president in the first place. Especially liberal media. It made Trump president even more than  conservative media could ever hope for.

Trump is Hillary's easiest opponent (cough).  Bernie would walk over Trump even easier, but he isn't anointed holy oil by Pope Comey.  Gen Kelley came out today and said, it was disgraceful for a congresswoman to listen in on a private conversation between Trump and that widow.  From now on, invite them to the WH and keep the congress-critters out.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 19, 2017, 06:26:18 PM
Yeah, it is.  But it is difficult to not see it as simply another example of him not being able to demonstrate he has even the basic human emotions--and he just can't feel empathy for anybody but himself.  Nobody seems to take him at his spoken words.  Everybody wants to put words (that he did not speak) into his mouth.  Just examine what he says and how he says it.  He is a broken man.

We are all broken, just not in the same ways.  I couldn't ever vote for any more ape men ... give me actual gorillas next time.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Shiranu on October 19, 2017, 05:02:50 PM
Fair play.
Don't worry. You're not breaking any rules. This is a good discussion, so far. This is why forums exist, in the first place, to discuss things, especially when people aren't exactly in alignment with their views

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 19, 2017, 04:59:11 PM
Seems like they're about 50% of reality.
If you're going to try to insult me, at least insult me with something of substance.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: PickelledEggs on October 19, 2017, 07:17:06 PM
If you're going to try to insult me, at least insult me with something of substance.

I never try to insult people.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 19, 2017, 07:27:14 PM
I never try to insult people.
That makes sense, then. No wonder it fell flat

Shiranu

Quote from: Gilgamesh on October 19, 2017, 06:44:46 PM
Well, no; no, he hasn't. But you already lost this debate in another thread. Yet, here you are, still pushing a position that you lost on. See, that, to me, screams, "shitty person."
Are you fucking daft? This whole thread is based on a claim about what he said that has not been - and will not be - substantiated.

The left say he has actively endorsed racism, the racists say he has actively endorsed them... I'm sorry, but both sides disagree with you. So get the fuck out of here with that shitty argument bullshit; when your actions and words are racist, people of both sides are saying you are racist, the racists say you are racist... you're either racist, or the word racist doesn't mean shit. It seems the only way you will accept your idol is a racist douche Lord is if he explicitly said he was himself... and then you would just start arguing that being racist isn't even a big deal.

And the woman has now come out and said it's true... but let me guess, first hand accounts and the victim don't matter if Trump says it didn't happen. Just like the meeting with the Russians never happened. Or Obama meeting with widows never happened. Or that record breaking inauguration crowd did happen. Or...

@Pickled: not in the mood today to argue this shit because today was a great day, but it's been said several times now, so if it hasn't gotten through then it probably never will...

The civilian head of the military, the guy who's primarily role is to be the moral voice of the people, said something so insensitive that he caused a pregnant widow to break down and cry... who has repeatedly disrespected the troops and their families... is not normal behavior. That burden of proof that this is in any way, shape, or form "normal", when even people in your camp and even further down the line say it isn't, lands squarely on your shoulders.

I am not disagreeing with you because you are the other, I'm disagreeing with you because you are presented with evidence and just keep on saying, "Nah, you just disagree with me because you are a liberal!".

Put up or shut up, or at least don't expect people to start agreeing with you or stop talking about it. Give me evidence of presidents harassing veterans and their families, insulting prisoners of war for being PoWs, and I will concede right here and now that you are right, this is normal or at the very least has some historical similarities and is not a big deal.

I'm completely open to agree with you when you offer facts, offer evidence. But all you offer is opinion that you don't like us time and time again, and I'm sorry, but you can't expect to sway people by just saying they are wrong because they annoy you.

I think you have valid points about SJW culture and all that, but you never present anything other than they annoy you to make me see it as a legitimate issue. I am more than open for dialog and facts. I'm not open to changing my world view simply because of someone else's opinions on the subject.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Gilgamesh on October 19, 2017, 06:44:46 PM
Hey. No need to be hostile. Watch it.