News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

NFL & Trump

Started by Mike Cl, September 30, 2017, 12:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on October 18, 2017, 02:32:19 AM
That's funny mainly because out of all the sports in America, football is far-and-away the most utterly regressive and socially backwards there is.

I wasn't discussing the sport itself.  But yes, it is brutal and militaristic.  I prefer baseball myself.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on October 18, 2017, 04:10:39 AM
I wasn't discussing the sport itself.  But yes, it is brutal and militaristic.  I prefer baseball myself.
I like the way you think!!  Go Yankees!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 18, 2017, 12:00:02 PM

I would not mind if the Yankees regained the title; The Nationals having lost the chance yet again...

trdsf

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 18, 2017, 12:00:02 PM
Ohhh, and I thought you were a nice person!

:grr: Cleveland got robbed AGAIN...
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mike Cl

Quote from: trdsf on October 18, 2017, 01:47:43 PM
Ohhh, and I thought you were a nice person!

:grr: Cleveland got robbed AGAIN...
I agree--Cleveland was the better team.  And Houston is the better team--even better than Cleveland--too.  But I'm still rooting for the Yanks!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 18, 2017, 01:50:43 PM
I agree--Cleveland was the better team.  And Houston is the better team--even better than Cleveland--too.  But I'm still rooting for the Yanks!

Watching Ken Burns 'Baseball' right now.  Getting past Cobb and to Ruth.

And I grew up rooting for the Yankees in VA in the 60s when they were flat.  Well, I was the only kid in my VA school from "north".

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on October 18, 2017, 01:59:06 PM
Watching Ken Burns 'Baseball' right now.  Getting past Cobb and to Ruth.

And I grew up rooting for the Yankees in VA in the 60s when they were flat.  Well, I was the only kid in my VA school from "north".
I started rooting for the Yankees while in the 5th grade in Alabama.  Since I was from Oregon, I was branded a 'Yankee'; so it was natural to root for them.  And still do.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 18, 2017, 02:05:38 PM
I started rooting for the Yankees while in the 5th grade in Alabama.  Since I was from Oregon, I was branded a 'Yankee'; so it was natural to root for them.  And still do.

I have to ask.  There was a girl in school from GA, and I couldn't understand a WORD she said.  My classmates must have thought the same about me.  Did you have that same feeling?

Hydra009

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 18, 2017, 02:24:06 PM
Wow, you guys live in your own little world, don't ya?

Yes, sometimes we get local and detailed  But I can expand.  I can consider Buddihsts for example. 

The debate among monks unfolds in the presence of their teachers, with a very well set rules of procedure for the defender and the questioners. I think it is a bit like listening to rabbinacal jews.  The tradition of such debates is traced to the ancient Hindu Orthodoxy in India and this practice slipped into Buddhist orthodoxy in Tibet i(n the eighth century I think). One aspect of debates that intereats me is that defender of a claim seems to havethe onus to prove his point of view on the subject proposed for debate.

trdsf

I agree--Cleveland was the better team.
I forgive you.

And Houston is the better team--even better than Cleveland--too.  But I'm still rooting for the Yanks!
...as amended.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on October 18, 2017, 02:10:12 PM
I have to ask.  There was a girl in school from GA, and I couldn't understand a WORD she said.  My classmates must have thought the same about me.  Did you have that same feeling?
In the 5th grade I was in an elementary school that drew its students from the people who worked for a huge Army supply/ammo dump.  So, not all had that deep southern drawl.  After a bit I could understand them fairly well. 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 18, 2017, 02:35:47 PM
Yes, sometimes we get local and detailed  But I can expand.  I can consider Buddihsts for example. 

The debate among monks unfolds in the presence of their teachers, with a very well set rules of procedure for the defender and the questioners. I think it is a bit like listening to rabbinacal jews.  The tradition of such debates is traced to the ancient Hindu Orthodoxy in India and this practice slipped into Buddhist orthodoxy in Tibet i(n the eighth century I think). One aspect of debates that intereats me is that defender of a claim seems to havethe onus to prove his point of view on the subject proposed for debate.

A dharma duel ... very popular with Tibetans.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 18, 2017, 02:24:06 PM
Wow, you guys live in your own little world, don't ya?

I doubt it, millionaire football stars do.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 18, 2017, 07:01:17 PM
I doubt it, millionaire football stars do.

Top football players are not "millionaires".  They are "100 millionaires".  I expect a few are into the billionaire level.  Pretty good wages for some people who couldn't keep a real job...