Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

QuoteWhile Descartes aimed to show that the only thing I can be certain of is my own existence, Kant argued that in order for that to be possible I need to in fact be aware of the world around me as actually existing independent of me.
Which is why I'll always prefer Kant over Descartes.

The objections against such realization, often than not, border on radical skepticism, such as Stroud's claim tries to argue that subjectivity can only argue for subjectivity's sake, and you can't argue for an "outside" reality - this is solipsism.

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on October 12, 2017, 10:31:10 AM
Which is why I'll always prefer Kant over Descartes.

The objections against such realization, often than not, border on radical skepticism, such as Stroud's claim tries to argue that subjectivity can only argue for subjectivity's sake, and you can't argue for an "outside" reality - this is solipsism.

This is why Zen is ultimately wrong.  Hui Neng, when he visited a temple where a discussion was on-going ... the sensei had pointed to a flag on a pole, that was moving back and forth.  Some disciples said the flag was waving.  Others said the wind was waving.  Hui Neng, the visitor, said that their minds were waving.  This put Hui Neng to the head of the class ... though not in Physics, but in psychology ;-)  Contemplation/meditation may be useful, but ultimately it is solipsistic.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 12, 2017, 12:54:26 PM
This is why Zen is ultimately wrong.  Hui Neng, when he visited a temple where a discussion was on-going ... the sensei had pointed to a flag on a pole, that was moving back and forth.  Some disciples said the flag was waving.  Others said the wind was waving.  Hui Neng, the visitor, said that their minds were waving.  This put Hui Neng to the head of the class ... though not in Physics, but in psychology ;-)  Contemplation/meditation may be useful, but ultimately it is solipsistic.

You might as well say that the grasshopper does not move around the field but causes the field to move around it..   Utter nonsense.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 18, 2017, 01:37:31 AM
You might as well say that the grasshopper does not move around the field but causes the field to move around it..   Utter nonsense.

Ever hear of relativity theory?  Nope.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 18, 2017, 07:33:31 AM
Ever hear of relativity theory?  Nope.

Um, yeah, duh.  I'm kind of on the scientific side...  LOL!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 18, 2017, 07:36:58 AM
Um, yeah, duh.  I'm kind of on the scientific side...  LOL!

John von Neumann ... mathematician, quantum mechanic, inventor of computer architecture ...

He was interviewed by the police after he had a car accident.  He told them "the trees were passing my on the right, in an orderly manner, when suddenly one of them stepped out in front of me".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 18, 2017, 07:39:18 AM
John von Neumann ... mathematician, quantum mechanic, inventor of computer architecture ...

He was interviewed by the police after he had a car accident.  He told them "the trees were passing my on the right, in an orderly manner, when suddenly one of them stepped out in front of me".

Yeah, I heard that old joke decades ago.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 18, 2017, 07:46:18 AM
Yeah, I heard that old joke decades ago.

Apparently it took you that long to get it, after I explained it to you ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 18, 2017, 07:27:35 PM
Apparently it took you that long to get it, after I explained it to you ;-)

The day YOU have to explain a joke to ME is the day the jokes die...