Coveny’s plan for health care

Started by Coveny, October 06, 2017, 04:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

You can argue all day long about legal reform that may or may not put more money in the hands of litigants instead of litigators, but the problem is that the people who write the laws are almost always lawyers and nobody writing laws is about to write laws that favor their opponents and put the lions share of the money in the hands of non-lawyers.
We keep having this conversation that makes it appear that the rich people will suddenly decide to not be rich instead of paying taxes, etc... It's never going to happen.
I'm side tracking, but the argument goes like this. If you tax the rich they'll all go out of business and fire everyone in lieu of paying taxes.
Just as soon as anyone can identify one single rich guy who decides to not be rich just because he has to pay taxes let us know..
Oh yeah,  I'd rather live in poverty and squalor than have to pay a nickel in taxes said nobody ever and anyone who might suggest it would certainly be lying.
The wealthy folks have always used the switch and bait tactic and the public has always bought into it hook, line and sinker. It's not about to change just because it makes sense.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

trdsf

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on October 14, 2017, 12:31:58 PM
I'm side tracking, but the argument goes like this. If you tax the rich they'll all go out of business and fire everyone in lieu of paying taxes.
Just as soon as anyone can identify one single rich guy who decides to not be rich just because he has to pay taxes let us know..
Oh yeah,  I'd rather live in poverty and squalor than have to pay a nickel in taxes said nobody ever and anyone who might suggest it would certainly be lying.
This.

Remember when Bill Clinton raised taxes modestly on the wealthy?  All of a sudden, the economy took off.  The wealthy had an incentive to do something with their money rather than sit on it and watch the pile grow bigger -- because an economy doesn't work when the money settles into huge, stagnant ponds.  It works when money moves.

Also, I would gladly trade places with someone making a million a year and paying 40, 50 percent between fed, state and local taxes, as against the 15, 20% on my pittance.  If someone thinks half a million dollars after taxes is an intolerably tight wallet, that's someone who has no business managing money since they obviously have no sense of proportion or priorities.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on October 14, 2017, 12:31:58 PM
You can argue all day long about legal reform that may or may not put more money in the hands of litigants instead of litigators, but the problem is that the people who write the laws are almost always lawyers and nobody writing laws is about to write laws that favor their opponents and put the lions share of the money in the hands of non-lawyers.
We keep having this conversation that makes it appear that the rich people will suddenly decide to not be rich instead of paying taxes, etc... It's never going to happen.
The wealthy folks have always used the switch and bait tactic and the public has always bought into it hook, line and sinker. It's not about to change just because it makes sense.

The solution is to place limits on the percentages lawyers can earn in class action suits.  You think they wouldn't work for 10% of $500 million as 50%?  They would chase a $10 bill into a tornado!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!