The "Antifa" Boogieman/Media Focus on Violence During Protests

Started by Shiranu, October 06, 2017, 01:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Just something to keep in mind when you are being told to fear any group, that you always need to be aware of just how relevant they really are. Media attention =/= relevance or actual power of a group. And that does include groups we on the left don't like as well.

Fear is, unfortunately, what sells... and as news becomes more and more tabloid than journalism, especially news you find from independent sources with no journalistic background like you will find on youtube, then you really have to be aware that it's all just a feedback loop of, "Be afraid of this group, because some of them are bad, therefor I am afraid of them, therefor you need to be afraid of this group, become some of them are bad, therefor I am afraid of them, therefor you need...".
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

pr126

I think that both sides of the argument should be heard. Otherwise it is just an echo chamber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3gOOnwhlns

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: pr126 on October 06, 2017, 02:12:08 AM
I think that both sides of the argument should be heard. Otherwise it is just an echo chamber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3gOOnwhlns

All I hear is "liberals suck! They no intelligent! Facts and Research? Fuck that! Insult. Insult. Insult."
Yes I am antiNazi and white supremacists. Who wouldn't? Oh wait....retarded red people.

pr126

Inside every liberal there is a totalitarian screaming to get out.

SGOS

Quote from: Shiranu on October 06, 2017, 01:40:54 AM
Media attention =/= relevance or actual power of a group. And that does include groups we on the left don't like as well.

Fear is, unfortunately, what sells... and as news becomes more and more tabloid than journalism, especially news you find from independent sources with no journalistic background like you will find on youtube, then you really have to be aware that it's all just a feedback loop of, "Be afraid of this group, because some of them are bad, therefor I am afraid of them, therefor you need to be afraid of this group, become some of them are bad, therefor I am afraid of them, therefor you need...".
I'm often annoyed and have been for years, when I read or watch news coverage describing what's going on someplace:  "A tribal war in Zoompagoombah is taking place, and hundreds of thousands are being slaughtered by the Zoompas."

Well, that's interesting and all.  Everyone is attracted to hideous slaughter.  But I can't tell you how many times, I am left trying to understand what's really going on.  First of all, hundreds of thousands?  If an unknown location like Zoompagoombah has a hundred thousand people to spare, how come I've never heard of a place that big before?  But second and even more important, why are they killing each other?

It's like the reason for the conflict never even occurred to the Media, when in my mind, the reason is the story.  Well, at least 90% of the story.  It's the part that gives insight into why these humans do what they do.  It's the part that explains why people act at the extreme end of irrational, but the reporters don't even attempt to investigate the most important part about the conflict.

School kids on a playground:  "A fight!  A fight, Everybody!"  And all the kids run over and form a circle around the spectacle.  Why is the fight going on?  "Who cares?  It's a fight!"  The teacher or the principal may ask what caused the fight, but I doubt they care that much.  After all, how much of a reasoned explanation to they expect to get from two kids who are soon to be doomed to detention and are momentarily still hopped up on adrenalin and sugar.  They are just there trying to train children not to fight.  Fuck the reason.  Just don't fight.

Maybe I'm missing the point and the only things that really do matter are the conflicts, but I end up seeking out and getting reasons for the conflict from sources that are even less intellectually equipped than the media to explain it.  Because the media doesn't have time to report anything other than the physical display of people at their worst.

Baruch

Quote from: pr126 on October 06, 2017, 05:14:42 AM
Inside every liberal there is a totalitarian screaming to get out.

Left handed evil is superior to right handed evil, because the Lefties are an oppressed minority ;-)

SGOS - bad news sells.  Without advertising schlock, you wouldn't have a media.  So it is necessary to create conflict, even if it didn't exist.  Journalism is a figment of your imagination.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

pr126

trdsf

Quote from: Shiranu on October 06, 2017, 01:40:54 AM
Just something to keep in mind when you are being told to fear any group, that you always need to be aware of just how relevant they really are. Media attention =/= relevance or actual power of a group. And that does include groups we on the left don't like as well.

It's also the false equivalence trap the media falls into on almost every issue.  It's reached the point that if they had a mathematical logician come on TV to explain that he had once and for all proven that 1+1=2, the network would go out and deliberately look for someone from the Binary Liberation Front or some damn thing to put forth the contrary argument that 1+1 may only be in the vicinity of two, and might even be three.  And then the talking head moderating would act like these two viewpoints are just two sides of an argument and "the debate goes on".

Well, no they fucking well aren't equivalent.  And it's this kind of media idiocy that keeps climate change denial alive, that keeps creationism alive, and that's now trying to present another false equivalence here.

Here's a quick test.  Off the top of your head, without resorting to Google or Wikipedia, name all the left-wing extremists and groups that have committed major acts of violence and domestic terrorism over the last 25 years.

Now do the same with the right-wing individuals and groups.  It's a lot easier, isn't it?

Does this mean leftist extremists cannot be violent?  No.  But they cannot argue equivalence.  The balance of terror is far more on the far right than on the far left, and anyone resorting to it on either side is wrong.

And also, when the fuck did being anti-fascist become a term of derision?
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

chill98

Antifa is a violent group known for hijacking organized protests.  They are not the first group to use the cover of legitimate protest to inflict violence, nor will they be the last.  But violence is their method of protest and should be shut down.

Why this attempt to deflect?

https://www.democraticleader.gov/newsroom/82917/

http://www.newsweek.com/are-antifa-terrorists-658396

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/formally-recognize-antifa-terrorist-organization-0

Hijiri Byakuren

Most of the "Antifa" attacks aren't even done by Antifa. Faux News just needs a group of liberals to shit on.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

chill98

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on October 06, 2017, 11:33:57 AM
Most of the "Antifa" attacks aren't even done by Antifa. Faux News just needs a group of liberals to shit on.

Link please?

Quote from: article below
For almost three decades, Scott Crow was part of the Antifa movement.
"I fought (against) Nazis. I've had death threats. I've had guns drawn on me. I've drawn guns on fascists. I've been in altercations. I've smoke-bombed places," he said. "I've done a myriad of things to try and stop fascism and its flow over the years."
Activists don black bloc, Crow said, as a means to an end.
"People put on the masks so that we can all become anonymous, right? And then, therefore, we are able to move more freely and do what we need to do, whether it is illegal or not," he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/18/us/unmasking-antifa-anti-fascists-hard-left/index.html

Baruch

Anti-fascist?  As in Stalin?  The Street Communists of the 1920s-1930s weren't any nicer than the Brown Shirts/Black Shirts.  Communists aren't liberal, they are tyrants, same as the other fascists.  The US isn't anti-fascist, never has been.  We were anti-Axis ... but pro-Stalin.  Of course we betrayed Uncle Joe asap.  Americans were more racist than the Germans until the 1970s, and more anti-Semitic than the Germans until the 1950s.  The US isn't a liberal country (in modern definition) ... Revolutionary France/Russia ... were the liberals (in modern definition).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gilgamesh

"Some."

Lol.

Antifa is inherently violent. They want a revolution. They are communists. And no, calling them commies isn't just a scare tactic - it's just a fact of the matter; that's literally what they are.

They have also been labeled a terrorist organisation by homeland security.

pr126

They (Antifa) also carry the red hammer and sickle Soviet flag.
They have no idea what communism was.

Middle class spoiled young kids with time on their hands, and little awareness of reality, and no knowledge of history. Thanks to “progressive” indoctrination.

Just the right people the left recruits for their foot soldiers.
They are but pawns in a game.

Munch

When I read how Antifa apparently 'fought against nazis' I always chuckle, because these 'nazis' they are 'fighting against' arn't even real nazis in comparison. These nazis they claim to fight against are just some white supremacists at worst, groups of idiots following ideologies of the actual nazis, but never having committed anything under the banner they wave that could even compare to actual nazis. They are just some fools with a warped sense of reality, they aren't going out into the street hunting down black people, cutting them up in fucked up experiments, throwing them in gas chambers on masse, these modern day 'nazis' are just some clueless morons with some racist tendencies.

As such, when reading how people claim to have 'fought against nazis', I just laugh, because its so bloody obvious these are virtue signally morons as bad as the people they fight against, you are not fighting actual nazis, because if they were real nazis', you'd be dead by now.  You just want to make out like your enemy as as bad as something that occurred in the past and proclaim yourself as something grander then you are.

My grandfather fought the nazis, he landed on the beaches with gun in hand and came home with a medal, and its really an insult to see these fuck nuggets like Antifa claim they fought real nazis.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin