News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

A laser oscilloscope?

Started by Unbeliever, October 05, 2017, 03:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

This is kind of like an oscilloscope, but more interesting. It uses very simple apparatus to produce some really pretty patterns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-V1uXeyGmg

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on October 05, 2017, 03:08:52 PM
This is kind of like an oscilloscope, but more interesting. It uses very simple apparatus to produce some really pretty patterns:
Well, that's my weekend sorted...
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

Someone showed that to me yesterday, and the first thought I had was how much y'all might enjoy it.
God Not Found

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on October 05, 2017, 03:28:25 PM
Someone showed that to me yesterday, and the first thought I had was how much y'all might enjoy it.
I'm already planning on three mirrors in three different areas of the balloon surface, with three different color lasers...
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

Maybe you could use one of those disco balls, full of mirrors, and lots of lasers. What a show!

:letsparty:
God Not Found

Baruch

Descartes, who invented analytic geometry, and loved fancy curves, would have loved this.  Notice the pattern comes back to the start point.  Chaos wouldn't do that, harmonics do.  What is happening in one respect is, each curve is parametric, and the parameter is cyclic (like a sine wave).  But there is periodic modulation sometimes overlapping modulation, that takes it out of mere oval territory.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

It's almost like watching the subatomic strings vibrating, but we can only see two dimensions of the vibrations.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on October 06, 2017, 05:12:05 PM
It's almost like watching the subatomic strings vibrating, but we can only see two dimensions of the vibrations.

Well, that is true, because we can't see in 4-d or non-Euclidean either.  Certainly in the "wave" view of QM ... there is a lot of vibrating going on.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

That's really cool. The visualization of sound fascinates me.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 07, 2017, 11:22:19 AM
That's really cool. The visualization of sound fascinates me.

Artificial synesthesia ... you can see your speech.  Of course first achieved with writing.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on October 05, 2017, 03:08:52 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-V1uXeyGmg

Big deal.  I made pretty patterns on the wall of my dorm room with a strong flashlight aimed at small mirrors glued to a rubber membrane over a speaker in 1968...  And added a rotating color wheel in front of it the next semester.

And we had paint that was invisible in daytime but lit up with a black light...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!