Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Jesus--Fact or Fiction??

Started by Mike Cl, October 04, 2017, 11:15:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 11, 2017, 02:11:35 PM
Thank you.  I just ordered it.  LOL!

What will your order it to do?  You meanie!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on November 11, 2017, 01:57:46 PM
On The Historicity Of Jesus?  Amazon wants $35 for a paperback?  I already doubt the historiosity of jesus.  Convince me to spend $35.
Not able to do that.  But keep checking and I'm sure that sooner or later it will go on sale.  And if you ever get to a big bookstore look it up and scan it.  That will convince you to get it. :)
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on November 11, 2017, 02:11:35 PM
Thank you.  I just ordered it.  LOL!
I guess I did not try hard enough.  :)))  I know you will love it.  I'd be interested in any comments you have about it as you read it. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Thanks MikeCL ... good thread for realistic history.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on November 12, 2017, 04:42:01 AM
Thanks MikeCL ... good thread for realistic history.
You're welcome, Baruch.  Helps me keep things straight when I put them in writing.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 12, 2017, 10:52:21 AM
You're welcome, Baruch.  Helps me keep things straight when I put them in writing.

I enjoyed this, and the video by Carrier.  But the further details for me, are been there, done that.  But I can do heavy books, with lots of footnotes.  I am working The Sufi Jewish Dialog by Diana Lobel.  11th century CE Iberian mysticism in the Convivencia of the three Abrahamic faiths, 78 pages of footnotes, in five languages ... Hebrew, Arabic, English, French and German.

I hope that Cavebear enjoys your book (Carrier) and will share some more details that strike him as interesting.  The 1st century CE was a very dynamic period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaQXVghEjl4

We are Greco-Roman ... and Judeo-Christian ... even for those 2000 years ago, who were secular.  The 21st century is a modernized version of the 1st century.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 11, 2017, 02:43:29 PM
I guess I did not try hard enough.  :)))  I know you will love it.  I'd be interested in any comments you have about it as you read it.

I'm not going to read it tonight.  But here is why I ordered it...

The JWs knocked on my door early this year when I had been up all night (here) and I decided to talk to them.  I challengd them to prove there was actually a "jesus".  I pointed out the Romans never referred to him, etc. 

They took my argument to heart.  They left a brochure claiming to prove Jesus did exist.  It was weak evidence at best, of course, being mostly hearsay after the time.  But it apparently mattered to them. 

They beat on my door while I slept late a couple times after that.  Bad timing.  I would have talked to them about the claim if I had been up and dressed.

But I kind of know their schedule now, so I will use the book (I hope) to make a list of arguments about it.  I don't have any special doubts, but I love to plant doubts in THEM.  LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on November 15, 2017, 05:30:30 AM
I'm not going to read it tonight.  But here is why I ordered it...

The JWs knocked on my door early this year when I had been up all night (here) and I decided to talk to them.  I challengd them to prove there was actually a "jesus".  I pointed out the Romans never referred to him, etc. 

They took my argument to heart.  They left a brochure claiming to prove Jesus did exist.  It was weak evidence at best, of course, being mostly hearsay after the time.  But it apparently mattered to them. 

They beat on my door while I slept late a couple times after that.  Bad timing.  I would have talked to them about the claim if I had been up and dressed.

But I kind of know their schedule now, so I will use the book (I hope) to make a list of arguments about it.  I don't have any special doubts, but I love to plant doubts in THEM.  LOL!
This book addresses each and every argument that the JW's could possibly use.  I don't know what was on that list--but I am confident that Carrier will have detailed arguments about what is on that list.  This book is that good.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 15, 2017, 09:07:35 AM
This book addresses each and every argument that the JW's could possibly use.  I don't know what was on that list--but I am confident that Carrier will have detailed arguments about what is on that list.  This book is that good.

Well, I was going screaming nuts trying to figure out how to attach a turntable between 2 boards earlier while doing some laundry and thawing out some homemade spaghetti sauce, so I I am just catching up.  I WILL be reading the book soon.

Cavebear

Quote from: Cavebear on November 15, 2017, 09:19:16 AM
Well, I was going screaming nuts trying to figure out how to attach a turntable between 2 boards earlier while doing some laundry and thawing out some homemade spaghetti sauce, so I I am just catching up.  I WILL be reading the book soon.

If you can suggest a few impressive pages, I would appreciate it.  650 pages is a lot!  LOL!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on November 15, 2017, 09:20:50 AM
If you can suggest a few impressive pages, I would appreciate it.  650 pages is a lot!  LOL!
It really depends upon what your most driving question is.  If there is one, just use the index and look it up. The Table of Contents is well constructed--easy to find most any specific issue.  If still at a loss, read The Conclusion first.  Then branch out.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 15, 2017, 02:45:50 PM
It really depends upon what your most driving question is.  If there is one, just use the index and look it up. The Table of Contents is well constructed--easy to find most any specific issue.  If still at a loss, read The Conclusion first.  Then branch out.

You are right, I should look at the structure of the book first.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 15, 2017, 02:45:50 PM

I like to read the last chapter of a book first.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on November 15, 2017, 06:47:50 PM
I like to read the last chapter of a book first.
I tend to do the same--except when it is fictional book.

Unbeliever

I like to read the index first in any non-fiction book that has one.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman