Yet another demonstration of 'christian love'.

Started by trdsf, October 30, 2017, 12:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on November 07, 2017, 06:54:23 AM
Probably marked "made in China" because such things would be of Chinese origin.  Got ancestors?  Read Confucius.

I'm proposing selling a block of US wood and you think it comes from China?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 07, 2017, 08:39:52 AM
I'm proposing selling a block of US wood and you think it comes from China?

Americans make nothing now, except bullshit.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on November 07, 2017, 01:15:07 PM
Americans make nothing now, except bullshit.

Actually, we are becoming a manufacturing country again.  We were post WW!!, it evened out in the 80/90s, and now wages have stabilized globally (with shipping costs factored in) so things are more balanced.  I saw that coming a decade ago and shifted part of my stock portfolio back to US manufacturers. 

Ya gotta keep on top of that kind of stuff.  My clue was when Toyota built a car factory here.

fencerider

Cavebear you would probably be a good hedgefund advisor, if I had any money to invest; which I don’t. Baruch is our historian specializing in Chutzpah and ancient religious practices. If I wanna know the price of google next year I’ll listen to Cavebear. If I wanna know who invented Moses and why I’ll listen to BaruchðŸ¤"
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Cavebear

Quote from: fencerider on November 11, 2017, 12:01:17 AM
Cavebear you would probably be a good hedgefund advisor, if I had any money to invest; which I don’t. Baruch is our historian specializing in Chutzpah and ancient religious practices. If I wanna know the price of google next year I’ll listen to Cavebear. If I wanna know who invented Moses and why I’ll listen to BaruchðŸ¤"

I use a 9 square investment.  Large Cap, Mid Cap, and Small Cap across the top of the grid.  Growth, Blend, and Value along the sides.  Buy equal amounts of index funds in each of the 9 squares, and balance them once every couple years, 

When the market falls, buy more.  When the market seems oddly high, sell some of everything and put it in 6 month CDs staggered by months .  Have that available for more index stock purchases when the market drops suddenly.  Cash in the CDs and invest in the index funds more again.  Very simple.

I hit millionaire status in liquid assets this year.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 11, 2017, 12:23:54 AM
I use a 9 square investment.  Large Cap, Mid Cap, and Small Cap across the top of the grid.  Growth, Blend, and Value along the sides.  Buy equal amounts of index funds in each of the 9 squares, and balance them once every couple years, 

When the market falls, buy more.  When the market seems oddly high, sell some of everything and put it in 6 month CDs staggered by months .  Have that available for more index stock purchases when the market drops suddenly.  Cash in the CDs and invest in the index funds more again.  Very simple.

I hit millionaire status in liquid assets this year.

A balanced portfolio works, if managed actively ... provided there are no black swans.  But you can't protect against those anyway.  Diversify, diversity.  And don't keep all your eggs in the same basket ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on November 11, 2017, 02:06:09 AM
A balanced portfolio works, if managed actively ... provided there are no black swans.  But you can't protect against those anyway.  Diversify, diversity.  And don't keep all your eggs in the same basket ;-)

The 9 grid is the very definition of diversification.  You have growth, value, and a blend, in large, medium, and small capitalization indexes.  Plus I have one for the total S&P and one for non-us markets.

If any part goes up or down, there are the others.  And I have US Savings Bonds and Credit UNion CDs.  And bank savings accounts.  And a Federal inflation-adjusted annuity.  Unless WWIII happens, you couldn't kill me financially with an ax.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 11, 2017, 05:54:24 AM
The 9 grid is the very definition of diversification.  You have growth, value, and a blend, in large, medium, and small capitalization indexes.  Plus I have one for the total S&P and one for non-us markets.

If any part goes up or down, there are the others.  And I have US Savings Bonds and Credit UNion CDs.  And bank savings accounts.  And a Federal inflation-adjusted annuity.  Unless WWIII happens, you couldn't kill me financially with an ax.

I am sure Goldman Sachs will try.  Capital controls.  It will be deemed terrorist to be able to move or withdraw money from your investments.  A banking panic would only benefit "he who must not be named".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on November 07, 2017, 06:54:23 AM
Probably marked "made in China" because such things would be of Chinese origin.  Got ancestors?  Read Confucius.

Nah, they would be Made in USA.  I'm pretty sure even we could make blocks of wood.  The hinges might come from China, but they would be "assembled in the USA" meaning the label)  But they would probably be self-storing "smart blocks" and need an app to do nothing (as intended and designed) .