50 killed, 200 Injured in Las Vegas Shooting

Started by Shiranu, October 02, 2017, 07:28:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 02, 2017, 09:36:55 AM
Come on!!--Shiranu, it is people who kill people not guns! Don't ya know that by now??!!

It is Democrats who subvert good government (by Republicans of course).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

I have known one "sovereign citizen" casually.  Extreme Libertarian with conspiracy theory about government.  He was a tax protestor, and a nut.  Separately I have known several gun nuts.  Combine sovereign citizen with a gun nut, and you probably have "trouble in River City".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Hey Baruch. Glad to know you aren't in some sort of an asylum yet. I just came to check on. 

So you think he converted to islam at 64 and handed himself to one of these groups for something llike this? A 64 year old white American male, in months, became an islamic terrorist. With what motivation? Islamic terrorists are almost always very young males with a certain standing/class in the society. They do not have girl friends. Certainly not Asian ones. While anything is possible, the profile doesn't fit. On the other hand, for America, islamic terrorism looks like the better option for blame I guess. 

We don't know it, heck, I doubt if we ever will, but this group doesn't just seem like 'libertarian nuts' to me. I wonder how many of them are armed.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

PopeyesPappy

Hey Shoe! Glad to see you are still around and doing well.

As far as the blame game goes you should see what is being said on some of the conservative websites. They were blaming antifa liberals or BLM within minutes of this terrible event hitting the news.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Sal1981

Hotels don't have security? I mean 10 guns and no one noticed?

Just terrible.

Sendt fra min SM-G920F med Tapatalk

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Sal1981 on October 02, 2017, 02:44:13 PM
Hotels don't have security? I mean 10 guns and no one noticed?

Just terrible.

Sendt fra min SM-G920F med Tapatalk

Golf bag.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

drunkenshoe

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on October 02, 2017, 02:21:13 PM

Hey Pop. :) I'm OK, it is pretty fucked up over here though.

QuoteAs far as the blame game goes you should see what is being said on some of the conservative websites. They were blaming antifa liberals or BLM within minutes of this terrible event hitting the news.

Oh ffs.

It's terrible. I can't even imagine what those people's families are doing.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Unbeliever

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on October 02, 2017, 02:21:13 PM

As far as the blame game goes you should see what is being said on some of the conservative websites. They were blaming antifa liberals or BLM within minutes of this terrible event hitting the news.
I've also heard (on the Armstrong and Getty show this morning) that many people are blaming unbelief in God (specifically, the Judeo/Christian God) as the cause of the increase in these types of events. Like belief in God ever kept people from doing horrendous things. Yeah, riiight!

Whatever I hear about this for at least the first week or so I'll take with a big grain of salt. Rumors fly all over the place, so lots of misinformation and disinformation will be rampant.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Atheon

"But it's not the guns..." Yes, it's the guns.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

GrinningYMIR

Nutball managed to sneak 10 rifles into his room
Mowed down a bunch of people
And he hotel never checked for anything out of the ordinary

Something's wrong with the system
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on October 02, 2017, 05:56:57 PM

Do you check golf bags for rifles?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

He was there since the 28th.  He could have taken in dozens or rifles broken down, in suitcases.  What is more natural in a hotel than a suitcase?  A couple of suitcases a day would not be unusual.  Do we really want to be 'wanded' into hotels now?  Do we really want hotels to check our luggage?  I don't really want a system to checking into a hotel or motel room--unless the system is a reservation conformation system.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 02, 2017, 02:11:25 PM
Hey Baruch. Glad to know you aren't in some sort of an asylum yet. I just came to check on. 

So you think he converted to islam at 64 and handed himself to one of these groups for something llike this? A 64 year old white American male, in months, became an islamic terrorist. With what motivation? Islamic terrorists are almost always very young males with a certain standing/class in the society. They do not have girl friends. Certainly not Asian ones. While anything is possible, the profile doesn't fit. On the other hand, for America, islamic terrorism looks like the better option for blame I guess. 

We don't know it, heck, I doubt if we ever will, but this group doesn't just seem like 'libertarian nuts' to me. I wonder how many of them are armed.

Not much possibility of him being Islamic.  KKK was more like his profile.  Basically the "sovereign citizen" believes that the US Constitution authorized capitalist anarchism (as opposed to syndicalist anarchism).  I have come to accept that governments are, and should be  ... criminal gangs.  The Enlightenment is dead to me.  If one was a "sovereign citizen" and paranoid and armed ... one would think the government was out to get you, but then you would attack a government office.  I think he was deranged, didn't know who or what his target actually was, maybe envisioned something entirely delusional, but a target he was aggrieved toward.  Example, a nut case hates gays, but thinks that all Country Western fans are gay, so takes the opportunity to shoot up a Country Western concert.  Something like that.  We will never know what flavor of delusion he was under.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

I think a hotel proctologist ... a house dick, should do a full body cavity search on all hotel guests ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Johan

Quote from: aitm on October 02, 2017, 12:25:33 PM
Interesting. A quick snippet from the guys brother makes me wonder if that is real or not.

Somewhat off topic but related is this tidbit from an article about gunmakers in general;
Although it  makes sense, I simply never thought of having a computer program searching for shooting incidents and then raising or even buying stock before humans can react. Not sure how I feel about that, but I suppose if you can make a quick 10-20 thousand or more.....
The large financial firms have software bots searching the headlines for ANYTHING that could effect the price of any stock or traded commodity. Oil? Tech stocks? Corn? Pharmaceuticals? They've got bots scouring the headlines for all that and more and then making split second trading decisions based on very sophisticated predictive analytics. Been happening for a while now.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful