News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Blasphemy doeth good like a medicine.

Started by St Truth, October 01, 2017, 12:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St Truth

Quote from: Cavebear on October 04, 2017, 11:56:20 AM
Diabetes can be caused by excessive sugar intake, but also by low insulin production to process sugar.  That last is hard because the only energy supply to the brain (so I've read) is sugar.

I like anything that's sweet but my mum tries to get me to eat healthier food. I don't like vegetables except for chips (potato is a vegetable).I can live on just chips with vinegar. I can do without salt though.  If I'm eating in a restaurant and I'm forced to choose my vegetable dish, I always go for bubble and squeak. My mum doesn't count that as vegetable but it is and it's the only really delicious vegetable. LOL

Cavebear

Quote from: St Truth on October 04, 2017, 12:03:31 PM
I like anything that's sweet but my mum tries to get me to eat healthier food. I don't like vegetables except for chips (potato is a vegetable).I can live on just chips with vinegar. I can do without salt though.  If I'm eating in a restaurant and I'm forced to choose my vegetable dish, I always go for bubble and squeak. My mum doesn't count that as vegetable but it is and it's the only really delicious vegetable. LOL

Forgive my smile...  I had a longtime friend who thought the french fries or onion slice  on his hamburger was "his vegatable requirement.  And he usually didn't even those. 

Try a good chinese restaurant and experience veggies cooked "just crisp".  My mom boiled every vegetable beyond recognition, and English cooking is similar.  I always loved going to any chinese place as a kid.  When I went to college, I discovered steamed veggies and raw and tossed salads (in my own room - the dining hall cooked like Mom did). 

When I got my first apartment and a steamer tray, I never looked back.  Mom knew to make spaghetti and meatballs when a I visited.  The boiled-for-15-minutes brussel sprouts never got touched.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on October 04, 2017, 12:23:51 PM
Forgive my smile...  I had a longtime friend who thought the french fries or onion slice  on his hamburger was "his vegatable requirement.  And he usually didn't even those. 

Try a good chinese restaurant and experience veggies cooked "just crisp".  My mom boiled every vegetable beyond recognition, and English cooking is similar.  I always loved going to any chinese place as a kid.  When I went to college, I discovered steamed veggies and raw and tossed salads (in my own room - the dining hall cooked like Mom did). 

When I got my first apartment and a steamer tray, I never looked back.  Mom knew to make spaghetti and meatballs when a I visited.  The boiled-for-15-minutes brussel sprouts never got touched.
Yeah, the Midwestern way is similar -- boil 'em until you can't count 'em anymore.

I halve and roast sprouts with balsamic vinegar, rosemary, and orange zest.  Man, that's good.

It may genuinely be changing preferences over time.  Over the last ten years, I've picked up an appreciation for the so-called 'granny vegetables' -- parsnips, rutabagas, turnips -- and learned to like vegetables that I historically haven't, like asparagus.  But it is all in the preparation.  Steamed asparagus is so much better than boiled rope.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on October 04, 2017, 12:41:47 PM
Yeah, the Midwestern way is similar -- boil 'em until you can't count 'em anymore.

I halve and roast sprouts with balsamic vinegar, rosemary, and orange zest.  Man, that's good.

It may genuinely be changing preferences over time.  Over the last ten years, I've picked up an appreciation for the so-called 'granny vegetables' -- parsnips, rutabagas, turnips -- and learned to like vegetables that I historically haven't, like asparagus.  But it is all in the preparation.  Steamed asparagus is so much better than boiled rope.

I smoked slabs of pork butt the other day.  Cubed them up for pork stew.  But I also smoked some potatoes and corn on the cob.  Best potatoes I've even had!  And the corn was good.  Try some baked beets.  Peel after cooled and reheat later with butter and some vinegar.  Damn those are GOOD!

pr126

How did we get from blasphemy to smoked pork butts?

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on October 04, 2017, 12:46:41 PM
I smoked slabs of pork butt the other day.  Cubed them up for pork stew.  But I also smoked some potatoes and corn on the cob.  Best potatoes I've even had!  And the corn was good.  Try some baked beets.  Peel after cooled and reheat later with butter and some vinegar.  Damn those are GOOD!
We do beets sliced and oven baked with the tiniest dash of cinnamon and chili powder.  Just enough to let you know there's something there.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on October 04, 2017, 12:53:06 PM
We do beets sliced and oven baked with the tiniest dash of cinnamon and chili powder.  Just enough to let you know there's something there.

Cinnamon?  I'll have to try that.  I have some in the fridge now.  Do you peel them before or after baking?

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on October 04, 2017, 12:55:48 PM
Cinnamon?  I'll have to try that.  I have some in the fridge now.  Do you peel them before or after baking?
It's been a while since we made them, so I really don't recall off the top of my head.  Either/or should be fine.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on October 04, 2017, 01:09:41 PM
It's been a while since we made them, so I really don't recall off the top of my head.  Either/or should be fine.

I think peeling them after baking gets the hard skin off which kept the insides moist.

pr126

Quote from: Cavebear on October 04, 2017, 01:20:47 PM
I think peeling them after baking gets the hard skin off which kept the insides moist.
Bake in the oven with the skin, (washed) wrapping in aluminum foil to retain moisture, and easier to peel. (the skin just rubs off)

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on October 04, 2017, 02:05:08 PM
Bake in the oven with the skin, (washed) wrapping in aluminum foil to retain moisture, and easier to peel. (the skin just rubs off)

Did that.  Works.  Beets are under-appreciated.  Don't panic when you poop in the morning though...  LOL!

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on October 04, 2017, 01:20:47 PM
We probably peeled them first since they were being roasted -- got to get that Maillard reaction going.  :)

Yeah, I think that was it -- peel, slice, dust, roast, eat.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on October 04, 2017, 02:31:03 PM
We probably peeled them first since they were being roasted -- got to get that Maillard reaction going.  :)

Yeah, I think that was it -- peel, slice, dust, roast, eat.

Ever smoke-cooked a potato? 

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on October 04, 2017, 02:33:09 PM
Ever smoke-cooked a potato?
No, but that sounds good -- I assume in a smoker.  I need to get one of those some day...

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on October 04, 2017, 03:24:20 PM
No, but that sounds good -- I assume in a smoker.  I need to get one of those some day...

There are dedicated cabinet style smokers, but I like the offset kind.  If you set the grates right, you can grill a steak or 2 on them directly over the charcoal.  You have to buy a couple extra grates though. 

Delmonico steak grilled is great.  Slabs of boston butt slow smoked is better.  If I was on a desert island, I would want a lot of apple trees and a lot of pigs, LOL!