News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Impeach Trump????

Started by fencerider, September 30, 2017, 11:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Montana as 2 senators and only one representative.  It's the first time I've seem Montana go all Republican.  The Democratic Senator lost by a hair.  It was something like 49.9% to 49.2%.  Republicans losing the House didn't surprise me.  The Congress usually drifts in a direction to oppose a sitting president.  I'm sure there are exceptions, but I know of none off the top of my head.  Life goes on.

Mike Cl

Quote from: drunkenshoe on November 07, 2018, 11:14:42 AM
Right? So was I. I woke up at 7 smt in the morning, and found my phone in the dark to check,lol. I couldn't wait to turn on the comp. And shouted at mom from bed. :) We got up and watched the news.

It affected my whole day to be honest. I went out and made some shopping, which I needed but I couldn't find it in me for a few days now. Walked around, ate American fast food to celebrate. :p
I was braced for a glum next two years.  But was pleasantly surprised (hasn't happened for quite some time with politics)--it does make today much brighter.  Hope I'm not just setting myself up for more disappointments in the future. :)  Another surprise--many, many more women winning seats, which I take as another good sign.  So, Shoe, happy day!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on November 07, 2018, 11:53:26 AM
Montana as 2 senators and only one representative.  It's the first time I've seem Montana go all Republican.  The Democratic Senator lost by a hair.  It was something like 49.9% to 49.2%.  Republicans losing the House didn't surprise me.  The Congress usually drifts in a direction to oppose a sitting president.  I'm sure there are exceptions, but I know of none off the top of my head.  Life goes on.

"It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones." -Calvin Coolidge

This is why a divided Congress is a good thing.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 07, 2018, 12:02:29 PM
I was braced for a glum next two years.  But was pleasantly surprised (hasn't happened for quite some time with politics)--it does make today much brighter.  Hope I'm not just setting myself up for more disappointments in the future. :)  Another surprise--many, many more women winning seats, which I take as another good sign.  So, Shoe, happy day!!

Happy day, sweety. Hugs. :)
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

I look forward to his book Mein Kampf mit der Vernunft.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

I know I'm suppose to be excited, but...

Republicans GAINED three seats in the Senate. They elected, in multiple states, representatives who are more inline with Trumpian ideology than against it. It just seems like those partisan lines are getting thicker and thicker, and the Republicans view this as a victory, even if they lost the House.

This was an election that was suppose to be stacked against the Republicans, and they came out on top... and not just that, the Republican party has shifted further inline with Trumpism than against it.

That said... Colorado elected an openly gay, Jewish progressive and I have been looking at moving to Colorado so... that's pretty dope. And a Somali-Muslim woman, and a Palestinian woman (as well as an Iranian-American in Florida and an Afghani-American)... as well as the two first Native American representatives, one in my home state, won. As a whole, the Democratic Party shifted to actually represent Democrats' demographics, and that is amazing... but it still seems America as a whole has not embraced that and it's still a country for, of and by old white people.

All I really see is that the government now even more accurately represents just how divided the country is, and I don't think that partisanship is a good thing.

Edit: Of course, I also live in a State that, even if it was just by a whisker, chose blatant, expressed bigotry and hatred over a candidate who literally visited left, right, and middle of the political spectrum and of the State and promised to work for everyone, regardless of their political orientation.... so I am living right in the heart of American partisanship it seems and that probably skews my outlook a bit.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Unbeliever

This will certainly make for an interesting next couple of years. The Republicans will not roll over and play dead, you can be sure of that.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

I hope we can finally stop hearing about the "caravan" from Trump, now that the elections are done.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Shiranu on November 07, 2018, 01:15:30 PM
I know I'm suppose to be excited, but...

Republicans GAINED three seats in the Senate. They elected, in multiple states, representatives who are more inline with Trumpian ideology than against it. It just seems like those partisan lines are getting thicker and thicker, and the Republicans view this as a victory, even if they lost the House.

This was an election that was suppose to be stacked against the Republicans, and they came out on top... and not just that, the Republican party has shifted further inline with Trumpism than against it.

You are right. Do you know why the first thing I did in the morning was to check American midterm elections? It's not because I was curious or wanted to be informed. Or not because I love it, almost as much as I love to blame it for evereything in the world. It's because what happens in the US, what comes between a monkey's lips, determines the price of food I can afford daily. And the point we arrived over here is so dark, at this point I am so fucking exhausted, I am happy seeing some sort of a change, even the slightest. Some sort of a fight.

And this one turned out OK. Much better than I expected honestly. And he is afraid, I don't care who says what. I know him, we have one here. And I love that. 

He is going to get the second term. In my opinion. World has seen much worse, sweety. You know that. For now, that is. It's exactly like in that video Unbeliever posted and Munch called ageist, and apparently nobody took seriously,lol. We are quite a few generations of whiners, not doers. And we'll get what we deserve.       
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 07, 2018, 01:45:50 PM
I hope we can finally stop hearing about the "caravan" from Trump, now that the elections are done.

Soros planned it, but Soros is a fellow billionaire.

Now we need World War III and a draft.  Just rid ourselves of Millennials?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: James51 on November 07, 2018, 03:52:52 AM
Trump must be crapping himself after the election. 2nd term looking less and less likely... Thankfully!
Well, that remains to be seen.  The results were closer than the polling indicated they would be.  What remains to be seen is whether there's a fault in the way polling is done (unlikely but not impossible -- it's not a hard science like physics or chemistry, but neither is it bullshit like astrology), or whether Trumpsters are either refusing to answer or lying to pollsters, just as a matter of fucking with "the system", or whether there's been skulduggery with voting machines.

I am inclined to thinking most of it is Trumpsters refusing, or screwing with, pollsters â€" with just a soupçon of deliberately screwing over Democratic strongholds, you know, just happening to forget to send the power cords along with the machines (only to polling places in mostly Democratic areas, isn't it funny how that works out) and selectively purging voter rolls or posting signs that read "Don't vote for Democrats on Tuesday and sing 'Oh how I love Jesus' on Sunday" in churches serving as polling places.

FWIW, I don't think churches should be used as polling places.  The poll workers at my local are excellent, but there's some creepy past pastor worship going on in there â€" seriously, the paintings of the previous pastors are bigger than the crucifixes, and all of them are painted in exactly the same pose.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 07, 2018, 01:09:00 PM
I look forward to his book Mein Kampf mit der Vernunft.

Is that you, Chancellor Merkel?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on November 03, 2018, 11:18:21 AM
Maybe.  I dred elections now.  Someone will be disappointed.  Will they start a civil war?  Democrats do.  Just one step closer to elections being banned, replaced by dictatorship.  And yes, you are partisan ... as are most other people.  I am not in this sense, I hate inhumanity, which seems to be brought to the fore by politics.  The center cannot hold, as long as the wings find it profitable to divide and disintegrate the US.

The center has not held.  We are in a partisan era, mostly by Republicans moving farther to the Right each election cycle.  As far as I can tell, the Democrats are pretty much where they were 40 years ago.

The idea that just because the parties are farther apart shows they are both moving away from "center" is a false equivalency.  If I stay where I am standing and another person moves farther away, that doesn't mean that I moved.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 09, 2018, 02:16:10 AM
The center has not held.  We are in a partisan era, mostly by Republicans moving farther to the Right each election cycle.  As far as I can tell, the Democrats are pretty much where they were 40 years ago.

The idea that just because the parties are farther apart shows they are both moving away from "center" is a false equivalency.  If I stay where I am standing and another person moves farther away, that doesn't mean that I moved.

Hm  ... 40 years ago they were into "why did McGovern lose".  How did you turn out on the 8values poll some of us took awhile back?  Anarchist?  Bloodthirsty Revolutionary?  Bloodthirsty Reactionary?  Just kidding.  Most people here who did, and who admitted their results, were moderate to hard Left.

It isn't just about the Republicans.  They are 1/3 of the electorate.  The problem for both parties is they have lost the middle 1/3.  I saw nothing partisan I wanted to support 2 years ago, and also this election.  DNC and RNC continue to play with the band on the USA Titanic.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on November 09, 2018, 02:16:10 AM

I doubt that voters change their values much.  Moving to the right happens at the decision making level, and has little to do with voters.