News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Impeach Trump????

Started by fencerider, September 30, 2017, 11:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 07, 2018, 05:04:28 AM
I didn't get my wealth from Daddy.  I saved like mad.  Actually, none of your post makes much sense in general or specific.

That's OK.  I am American enough to appreciate "self made".  But sometimes (not you) it means "newly stolen".  Saving is hard if you have a spouse or children or impoverished family/friends.  I had the first two.  And those social burdens make it hard to keep what you save.  I am building my second "fortune" having lost the first in divorce.  However, the point of money isn't to have it, but to spend it where it is needed.  I hope to leave this world the way I came in, with no fortune at all, having applied it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 07, 2018, 08:41:06 AM
That's OK.  I am American enough to appreciate "self made".  But sometimes (not you) it means "newly stolen".  Saving is hard if you have a spouse or children or impoverished family/friends.  I had the first two.  And those social burdens make it hard to keep what you save.  I am building my second "fortune" having lost the first in divorce.  However, the point of money isn't to have it, but to spend it where it is needed.  I hope to leave this world the way I came in, with no fortune at all, having applied it.

OK, that was serious, and I will treat it seriously.  Sometimes men suffer from divorces.  A friend of my father's (so close we called him "Uncle") spent his life living above a garage after  divorce.  Be equally, many women spend much of their lives in poverty after divorces raising children on low salaries.  And both sides can feel alone and separated from their children.

No one wins.

I agree that money isn't the object of life.  Mine will go to my siblings and their children in hopes that they have easier lives than I did.  Recall me mentioning roaches dropping off the ceilings at night when I was younger... 

You can't take it with you when you die.  I've mentioned having money.  But I live like a college student.  I just don't love "things" much.  I do need a better chair to watch MSNBC from.  The headrest is too low on the current one and bends my neck.  And even then, I am thinking about a computer chair without wheels attached. 

All my basic furniture is "old stuff from parents and grandparents".  I may splurge on an oak dining table and 4 chairs soon, but that is 20 years overdue.  I live a simple life.  "House Beautiful" magazine is never going to visit me, LOL. 

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

A simple life, regardless of resources, is best.  But for me reading and writing are a part of what is best.  That and being useful to customers, employers, friends and relatives.  Not so simple as a hermit miser.  In Hinduism, the ideal old age is that of the hermit, but without any goods (no miserliness, you give it away before you move into the forest to contemplate mortality by yourself).  For some the "forest" is the cremation ground.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 07, 2018, 11:29:47 AM
A simple life, regardless of resources, is best.  But for me reading and writing are a part of what is best.  That and being useful to customers, employers, friends and relatives.  Not so simple as a hermit miser.  In Hinduism, the ideal old age is that of the hermit, but without any goods (no miserliness, you give it away before you move into the forest to contemplate mortality by yourself.  For some the "forest" is the cremation ground.

My Filosofic does not extend quite so far. 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 07, 2018, 12:34:28 PM
My Filosofic does not extend quite so far.

And I am clearly not S Asian, but I think they provide a useful contrast.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 07, 2018, 01:35:42 PM
And I am clearly not S Asian, but I think they provide a useful contrast.

How are you sure you are not?  DNA test? 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 07, 2018, 02:13:24 PM
How are you sure you are not?  DNA test?

You know I did, and that I am not ... though over 40,000 years ago, some ancestry in Europe comes from W Asia or S Asia.  But not recently.  Though we are all Africans as of 80,000 years ago, including the earlier hominids who left Africa earlier.

I happen to admire many cultures.  But I have to defend W European/American culture from its competitors.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 07, 2018, 02:19:03 PM
You know I did, and that I am not ... though over 40,000 years ago, some ancestry in Europe comes from W Asia or S Asia.  But not recently.  Though we are all Africans as of 80,000 years ago, including the earlier hominids who left Africa earlier.

I happen to admire many cultures.  But I have to defend W European/American culture from its competitors.

Close, but behind the times. 

"But I have to defend W European/American culture from its competitors"  Why?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 07, 2018, 02:21:45 PM
Close, but behind the times. 

"But I have to defend W European/American culture from its competitors"  Why?

Says a self hating American?  Shiranu much?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 07, 2018, 02:32:09 PM
Says a self hating American?  Shiranu much?

Oh I don't mind the US being in Europe.  Let WW4 be fought there instead of here.  I besides, those GIs bring home lovely wives and that improves the gene pool.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 07, 2018, 02:35:21 PM
Oh I don't mind the US being in Europe.  Let WW4 be fought there instead of here.  I besides, those GIs bring home lovely wives and that improves the gene pool.

Good points ;-)  A brother of my father-in-law brought back a German girl.  Quite an exile for her, to go to a small town in the Colorado mountains.

Yes, per neutron bombs, the point is to use Europe as hostages and cannon fodder.  We are so ... virtuous ;-)  But they did refuse the neutron bombs.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 07, 2018, 02:38:40 PM
Good points ;-)  A brother of my father-in-law brought back a German girl.  Quite an exile for her, to go to a small town in the Colorado mountains.

Yes, per neutron bombs, the point is to use Europe as hostages and cannon fodder.  We are so ... virtuous ;-)  But they did refuse the neutron bombs.

Well I am proud to say that my family tree now has a Japanese woman, a South Korean women, and a half Korean guy.   And if you look at it right, they have the reverse.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on October 07, 2018, 04:03:59 AM
Actually children are wonderful.
Yeah, especially with a little catsup!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on October 07, 2018, 04:00:02 PM
Well I am proud to say that my family tree now has a Japanese woman, a South Korean women, and a half Korean guy.
So help me, I read that last clause as "half a Korean guy" and was going to ask what happened...
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 07, 2018, 04:00:02 PM
Well I am proud to say that my family tree now has a Japanese woman, a South Korean women, and a half Korean guy.   And if you look at it right, they have the reverse.

Korean guy .. upper or lower half? ;-) That's gotta hurt!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.