News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Impeach Trump????

Started by fencerider, September 30, 2017, 11:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

I keep wondering whether keeping Trump as President is better in the long run (to 2020 elections where he might be cast out) vs the damage he can do to our world relationships until then and considering that Pence might win in 2020 if Trump is impeached and convicted.

It is not an easy thing to evaluate.  Trump IS an international embarrassment and diplomatic disaster, but perhaps keeping him in office until 2020 would be better.   
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 17, 2018, 12:01:35 AM
I keep wondering whether keeping Trump as President is better in the long run (to 2020 elections where he might be cast out) vs the damage he can do to our world relationships until then and considering that Pence might win in 2020 if Trump is impeached and convicted.

It is not an easy thing to evaluate.  Trump IS an international embarrassment and diplomatic disaster, but perhaps keeping him in office until 2020 would be better.

Should have made Jimmy Carter President-for-Life.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on November 17, 2018, 12:01:35 AM

Barring a 'smoking gun' piece of evidence, there's no conviction possible -- and even with that kind of evidence, I expect the Republicans would go out of their way to pretend it didn't exist.  I mean, at this point, it feels like it's only a matter of time before the Orange Disaster Area does shoot a guy on 5th Avenue... and Congressional Republicans will continue to make excuses for him and look the other way and pretend nothing happened.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

Actually, I doubt Trump could figure out how to fire a gun, so I think the denizens of 5th Ave. can feel safe.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 17, 2018, 01:23:47 PM
Actually, I doubt Trump could figure out how to fire a gun, so I think the denizens of 5th Ave. can feel safe.
True.  He's more likely to hire someone to be a ghost-shooter for him, and then claim the credit himself.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Green Bottle

God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

Unbeliever

This is very interesting, with a lot of food for thought:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7ZEY_c1e8Q

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/edward-j-watts/mortal-republic/

QuoteWhat killed the Roman Republic? It wasn’t plague, external enemies, civil war, or corruption, although all of those things played a role. No, writes Watts (Chair, History/Univ. of California, San Diego; Hypatia: The Life and Legend of an Ancient Philosopher, 2017, etc.), author of the superb The Final Pagan Generation (2015). What killed the Republic was its electorate. “A republic is not an organism,” he writes, meaningfully. “It has no natural life span. It lives or dies solely on the basis of choices made by those in charge of its custody.” That electorate chose to trade the freedoms and responsibilities of representative government for the security of the Pax Augusta, for “they came to believe that freedom from oppression could only exist in a polity controlled by one man.” Watts chronicles the death as one by which the ambitions of would-be rulers, bribes offered and accepted, and votes bought and sold all contributed to the arrival of imperial and totalitarian rule. The seeds of destruction had been scattered long before the fact. As the author writes, for instance, even Rome at its height was no stranger to scandals, in one case requiring the unheard-of executions of three Vestal Virgins whose behavior had not, in fact, been appropriately virginal. Still, better angels often spoke, as when Pompey and Crassus, political foes on the brink of civil war, agreed to follow the rules such that “the most powerful men in the Roman state clearly specified that they trusted the system to protect them from their rivals and to allow them to compete fairly within the rules it set." Given that mistrust of institutions is a key ingredient in the collapse of republican rule, as we are witnessing daily, the lesson is pointed.
God Not Found

Unbeliever

QuotePulitzer Prize-winning reporter David Cay Johnston may know Donald Trump better than any other working journalist, having first profiled the forty-fifth president in 1988 and tracked him ever since. He was the first to write about a potential Trump presidency when Trump announced his campaign in June 2015, and we turn to him now for a comprehensive examination of the first one hundred days of Donald Trump’s presidency in his book 'It’s Even Worse Than You Think: What the Trump Administration Is Doing to America'. He provides unique insight about the actions the new administration is quietly approving without drawing the attention of the Washington press corps, and examines phenomena the mainstream press stopped covering years ago. Join Johnston for a deep exposition of the workings of federal government agencies as they affect the lives of all Americans: from our wallets, to our health care, to our safety.

David Cay Johnston is a journalist, author, and winner of the 2001 Pulitzer Prize for Beat Reporting. He has chronicled Donald Trump’s conduct in his books: Temples of Chance and the New York Times bestseller The Making of Donald Trump. He has been called “One of America’s most important journalists” by The Washington Monthly, and he has acted as an uncredited source of documents and insight for major campaign reports by The Washington Post, The New York Times, Bloomberg, and network television.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azck1jY79cA

It's good to hear people that really know what they're talking about.
God Not Found

Baruch

But does he consider Barak or Hillary to be gods?  That would pretty much discount anything he has to say to me.  You are not a true Democrat unless you believe in the apotheosis of DNC vermin.  So atheists are not true Democrats.

And the video is way too long.  Watched the first minute only.  Tired after work.

Besides, Pence is clearly the "acting" President ... like Cheney.  Trump is the actor President like George W.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Pentagon says troops at US border to cost about $210 million

I'm starting to sympathize more and more with conservative outrage at wasteful federal spending.  The problem is I don't think they truly understand what's wasteful and what's not - they seem particularly blind to wasteful spending when a "good, conservative guy" is in office.

QuoteOn Tuesday, Trump said he was sure the troops are happy to be on the border mission, even though it means being away from home over Thanksgiving.

Baruch

Nuking Mexico is cheaper ... so why don't you penny pinchers advocate that?  Politician in Cali suggested we use nuke against legal gun owners in the US!

Do you know that the military costs you ...

https://www.nationalpriorities.org/cost-of/

It isn't cheap.  Cheapskates and pacifists unite!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Well, we all know how much Republicans hate government business being conducted over private emails, right?

Let's all wait for them to start chanting "Lock her up!" again.

While you're at it, lock him up too.

And while we can't lock him up for this, just how fucking stupid does he have to be before Republicans admit he's fucking stupid?

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on November 23, 2018, 04:05:56 PM
Well, we all know how much Republicans hate government business being conducted over private emails, right?

Let's all wait for them to start chanting "Lock her up!" again.

While you're at it, lock him up too.

And while we can't lock him up for this, just how fucking stupid does he have to be before Republicans admit he's fucking stupid?

I agree, arrest anyone currently or formerly a government official who is using a private email system to circumvent the law (you must make all emails public property (to National Archives) if you are an Federal official.

https://www.rcfp.org/browse-media-law-resources/news/court-rules-foia-can-apply-private-email-accounts

Its the law.  How about arresting Obama/Hillary etc for subverting the election process in 2016?  That is even more serious than Watergate.  That and colluding with Russia on Uranium One and god knows how many other foreign powers, particularly Perfidious Albion (GB).

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/25/us/politics/private-email-trump-kushner-bannon.html

So yes, let's arrest them all, for violating the law.  And no statute of limitations other than when the law changed to require FOIA.

But you have to prove, in a court of law, that official email/publication was subverted deliberately and consciously.  An email to my mother, from work, if it ever happened, isn't considered egregious.  In fact, I don't think it ever did happen.

All of my work emails are done on a government system.  I am not a government official just a contractor.  I can use it for limited non-work use.  But none of it is private.  And I must be careful, using my private email address, for anything work related ... because I can't legally do that.  None of us can.  So if I seriously talked about my job, on this forum, I would be violating the law (it isn't just email, but anything considered as a public record).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 17, 2018, 01:23:47 PM

How to properly use a gun...

Take apart the gun and clean it thoroughly.

Re-assemble it carefully.

Load the gun.

Look down the barrel carefully to examine it for loose grit.

Stick the barrel in your mouth.

Pull the trigger.

If you are dead, then the gun operated as designed...

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 24, 2018, 01:00:16 AM
How to properly use a gun...

Take apart the gun and clean it thoroughly.

Re-assemble it carefully.

Load the gun.

Look down the barrel carefully to examine it for loose grit.

Pull the trigger.

If you are dead, the gun operated as designed...

Left coast (either one) would do that.  They can't help being urban feral monkeys.  People in flyover country have no problem with it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.