News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

What To Do With An Empty Garage Bay

Started by SGOS, September 29, 2017, 11:32:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on September 30, 2017, 09:23:16 AM
How did you know that?  I owned another one for 5 years up until two years ago, and I'd been missing it ever since.  I knew I would eventually get another one.  They are responsive, nimble, and quick, and you don't have to hot rod around to experience that.  They are a pleasure to drive.

Once a good car is designed and proven in use, why aren't all cars like that, by copying what works?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: SGOS on September 30, 2017, 09:23:16 AM
How did you know that?  I owned another one for 5 years up until two years ago, and I'd been missing it ever since.  I knew I would eventually get another one.  They are responsive, nimble, and quick, and you don't have to hot rod around to experience that.  They are a pleasure to drive.

I just thought I remembered you talking about having Miata/s before.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on September 30, 2017, 09:47:44 AM
Once a good car is designed and proven in use, why aren't all cars like that, by copying what works?
Different strokes for different folks, I guess.  The Miata lacks the thunderous power of the Corvette.  If that's what you want to maximize, the Miata is probably not going to be your first choice.  Not to say it isn't quick, but you're not going to get pressed against the back of the seat accelerating up a steep hill as much as you would in a Vette. 

It's easy on gas, rated at 27 to 34, but yesterday, I drove 170 miles, and the average gas mileage showing on the panel was over 39 mpg.  I do question that.  I never got that on my other Miata, so it might be a one time anomaly.  High octane gas is recommended, but I tried it with both regular and high octane on my other Miata and came to the conclusion that the cost of driving with premium gas over regular was very close to a wash.  So I use the high octane in the Miata as recommended.

The Miata hasn't changed much in driving characteristics since 1989, and as you pointed out, the car magazines usually note it's track record has been proven, and it's always rated very high as being "the most fun to drive," which is something that is very apparent to me.  Other drivers might value other things. 

Baruch

I had a coworker once.  His son-in-law had a Ferrari, and took my coworker for a street drive once.  It could do a right angle street turn at 50mph, because of the superior steering and suspension, while keeping all 4 tires on the ground.  After my coworker got done peeling his face off of the passenger side car window ... he decided that he wasn't going to do that again, it scared him.  You are describing farfegnugen.  And I can appreciate that ... I really don't need a car for drag racing with other teens.

On gas milage, my car computes different milage, based on fuel quality and driving pattern (highway vs street).  I don't know how accurate it is.  But when I am going on a trip, I put in premium fuel, and I do get good milage.  When in town, for the majority of my driving, I get the mid-level octane to save a little, and of course in that kind of driving the milage should be, and is, less.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

PopeyesPappy

Speaking of gas mileage, I drove my first hybrid to Atlanta and back earlier this week. It was a Ford Fusion. Enterprise called it a full size. According to the onboard computer, it got almost 44 mpg over the entire trip. I wasn't fucking around getting there and back either. I was impressed.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on September 30, 2017, 10:34:02 AM
I had a coworker once.  His son-in-law had a Ferrari, and took my coworker for a street drive once.  It could do a right angle street turn at 50mph, because of the superior steering and suspension, while keeping all 4 tires on the ground.  After my coworker got done peeling his face off of the passenger side car window ... he decided that he wasn't going to do that again, it scared him.  You are describing farfegnugen.  And I can appreciate that ... I really don't need a car for drag racing with other teens.

On gas milage, my car computes different milage, based on fuel quality and driving pattern (highway vs street).  I don't know how accurate it is.  But when I am going on a trip, I put in premium fuel, and I do get good milage.  When in town, for the majority of my driving, I get the mid-level octane to save a little, and of course in that kind of driving the milage should be, and is, less.

The Miata does corner well, but I never tested it to see where the limit was.  I don't know where you would cross the line and lose control.  I don't want to experience that.  I did read one review that said that the body did lean a bit in very tight turns.  I haven't noticed that.  When I press it in tight turns it always strikes me as remarkably stable, but I can only compare that to my regular sedan.

On a 6 mile uphill grade with a few 15 mph curves, I was once passed by a guy on a motor cycle.  I was in my other Miata, and I thought this was a good chance to see what the car could do.  After a couple of twists and turns, I was still in curves and encountered traffic ahead of me, and the motorcycle was crossing over the yellow line still passing cars.  When I got to the straight away a minute later, the motor cycle was nowhere in sight.  I'm not sure if it was the car, the motor cycle, or my lack of courage, but I never saw the motor cycle again.

SGOS

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on September 30, 2017, 10:45:30 AM
Speaking of gas mileage, I drove my first hybrid to Atlanta and back earlier this week. It was a Ford Fusion. Enterprise called it a full size. According to the onboard computer, it got almost 44 mpg over the entire trip. I wasn't fucking around getting there and back either. I was impressed.
That is impressive for a full size.  Yesterday, I saw a guy driving a tiny box like thing that looked like a half of an old Gremlin.  It was higher than it was long.  I don't think it had a back seat, and it had the same proportions as a 1 pint milk carton with wheels under it.  I wonder what he was getting?

Baruch

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on September 30, 2017, 10:45:30 AM

I have always thought that hybrids are the way to go in the US ... not full electric.  Europe has big cities and inter-city travel covered well by public transportation.  We don't have that in the US, many of our cities are small and far apart.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on September 30, 2017, 11:10:00 AM
That is impressive for a full size.  Yesterday, I saw a guy driving a tiny box like thing that looked like a half of an old Gremlin.  It was higher than it was long.  I don't think it had a back seat, and it looked like a 1 pint milk carton with wheels under it.  I wonder what he was getting?

Some midget cars are just 4-wheel motorcycles with full enclosure ;-)  Not a bad thing, but probably less mileage than a motorcycle.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on September 30, 2017, 10:58:46 AM
The Miata does corner well, but I never tested it to see where the limit was.  I don't know where you would cross the line and lose control.  I don't want to experience that.  I did read one review that said that the body did lean a bit in very tight turns.  I haven't noticed that.  When I press it in tight turns it always strikes me as remarkably stable, but I can only compare that to my regular sedan.

On a 6 mile uphill grade with a few 15 mph curves, I was once passed by a guy on a motor cycle.  I was in my other Miata, and I thought this was a good chance to see what the car could do.  After a couple of twists and turns, I was still in curves and encountered traffic ahead of me, and the motorcycle was crossing over the yellow line still passing cars.  When I got to the straight away a minute later, the motor cycle was nowhere in sight.  I'm not sure if it was the car, the motor cycle, or my lack of courage, but I never saw the motor cycle again.

Lack of courage is a good thing, when driving ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

My 22 horsepower riding lawn mower probably gets 2 mpg.  I can't believe how much gas it sucks up.  How can that be?

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on September 29, 2017, 04:47:36 PM
I'm 73, but I'm calling this a midlife crisis.

73 is the new mid-life among baby-boomers...  Getting there in a few years.

And have my eyes on a 1966 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible.  My first car and maybe a duplicate as my last...  I don't drive much.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

AllPurposeAtheist

Your mid life crisis isn't even close to being completed until you have the 22 year old big titted blonde in the passenger seat..or you become the big creepy pervert down the street from the neighborhood kids. Kids today are missing that confidence booster.. 

Wanna go for a ride Sally?
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SGOS

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on November 01, 2017, 09:36:37 AM
Your mid life crisis isn't even close to being completed until you have the 22 year old big titted blonde in the passenger seat..or you become the big creepy pervert down the street from the neighborhood kids. Kids today are missing that confidence booster.. 

Wanna go for a ride Sally?
Some babe walking down the highway did flash me a Peace Symbol as I zoomed by at 55 mph.  I had my cap and sunglasses on, so she might of thought I was 27, but it wasn't a pee in her pants kind of recognition.  It was more like, "Yeah... peace... whatever."