News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Jesus Chirst is mah nigga

Started by Nonsensei, February 18, 2013, 10:15:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Hydra009"
Quote from: "FaithIsFilth"Why shouldn't blacks call eachother nigger? They've taken some of the power out of the word. Why should they let the white racists own the word nigger and the power behind it? Does that sound like a better alternative than how things are now?
Racists using it pejoratively and non-racists throwing it around casually - is that better than just racists using it?  I suppose.  But yanno, as great as it is to see people exchange volleys of racial epithets, I think this is one of those things that really ought to go out to pasture.

Quick show of hands:  would anyone here mourn over the phasing out of "nigger" in the english language?  I could sweeten the deal by getting rid of whom, blaggard, and jargogle...

QuoteSome think of nigger as a terrible word, but language evolves and what matters is intent when using the word. Some women call eachother bitch with no offense intended. Gay, faggot, and retard are perfectly good insults nowadays and don't necessarily have anything to do with homophobia or putting down the mentally handicapped unless that is the intent.
Ehhh...not too thrilled about those words, either.   :|

Could we? Please?

(except I'd stipulate that I don't really agree with old books like Huck Finn being rewritten............that bothers me enormously)
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

wolf39us

Quote from: "FaithIsFilth"I don't mind when a friend calls me asshole. It can be meant as an insult or it could just be a little friendly trash talk. Nothing wrong with that.
"Asshole" does not carry the same effect.

Quote from: "FaithIsFilth"Why shouldn't blacks call eachother nigger? They've taken some of the power out of the word. Why should they let the white racists own the word nigger and the power behind it? Does that sound like a better alternative than how things are now?
It's so incredibly offensive if a white man calls a black man a nigger, yet it's used on a daily basis by many black folks as just a saying for "brother".  Seriously, the word has little effect IF SAID BY A BLACK PERSON (in many cases)... but only under those circumstances.  These are silly requirements and are inherently racist just for the fact that only a black person can use the word.  Should black people be able to use the word?  Only if they're okay with everyone using it!

Quote from: "FaithIsFilth"Some think of nigger as a terrible word, but language evolves and what matters is intent when using the word. Some women call eachother bitch with no offense intended. Gay, faggot, and retard are perfectly good insults nowadays and don't necessarily have anything to do with homophobia or putting down the mentally handicapped unless that is the intent.
Indeed, people do call eachother names as "friendly jabs" or just because that's a common word to use.  I also agree, language does evolve... the impact of the words have not been as strong as they were 50 years ago.  The issue is the negative connotation that the words bring... They are meant as INSULTS.  I don't truly see a problem with saying "hey fag, what's up" to my gay friend... he just calls me something random, and we chuckle.  Would I ever use the word on someone else?  NO, fuck that... I don't need to get my ass whooped.  

Quote from: "FaithIsFilth"I'm white and I like the word nigger. I grew up listening to Tupac and other stuff like that where the word is used in every song fifteen or twenty times. I barely ever use the word. Maybe a few times a month. I might say "What's going on nigger?" when talking to a friend or "Fuck that nigger" when talking about someone I dislike (could be a white or black person I'm talking about). I view nigger as just another way of saying "dude".
My point is that words are just words.  You seem to realize this, but in practice... it's simply not a good idea.  Goto a gay bar and start calling people faggots... see how long you last!

aitm

I would not be surprised that within a generation or so that nigger will probably be as an innoccuos saying as...cracker or honkey. Maybe, the younger generation seems to have a better handle on todays idiosynce..idiotcs...id...shit what goin on.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

FaithIsFilth

Quote from: "wolf39us"My point is that words are just words.  You seem to realize this, but in practice... it's simply not a good idea.  Goto a gay bar and start calling people faggots... see how long you last!
I would never call a gay person faggot or fag. I don't see fag as a term of endearment like nigger can be, although some gays do use the word so maybe it will be seen as more of a term of endearment in the future.  What I was saying is that faggot is fine to use as an insult, and it can now simply mean that you think someone is a clown, rather than putting them down for being homosexual.

I don't use nigger around blacks either, as a matter of respect. Not because I think it would be racist, but if they've been raised being told white folks shouldn't be calling them that or saying it around them, then it is what it is. Some blacks are fine with their white friends using the word around them, but others have a certain mindset because that's how they were raised, so I refrain from using it so I don't cause any unnecessary offence.

Atheon

I don't use the N-word around anybody. I can't even bring myself to type it out in full, it's such a loathsome word.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Jason78

Quote from: "FaithIsFilth"Gay, faggot, and retard are perfectly good insults nowadays and don't necessarily have anything to do with homophobia or putting down the mentally handicapped unless that is the intent.

Hey!  I had faggots for dinner last night!
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

FaithIsFilth

Quote from: "Jason78"
Quote from: "FaithIsFilth"Gay, faggot, and retard are perfectly good insults nowadays and don't necessarily have anything to do with homophobia or putting down the mentally handicapped unless that is the intent.

Hey!  I had faggots for dinner last night!
I'm smoking a fag at the moment, but I've never had a faggot. I wouldn't mind tasting a faggot once to see if I enjoy it.