News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The European-Arab Dialog

Started by pr126, September 29, 2017, 12:49:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 18, 2017, 07:45:11 AM
Well, the modern national borders don't have a whole lot to do with the genetic ones.  The southern French are sort of Italian, the western French are sort of Spanish, and the Northern French are sort of German.  Of course, that means all those other people are sort of French.

I understand why because the Visigoths, the Franks and the Vandals weren't paying attention to current national borders before  they were established (how could they) .  And the Italians aren't Romans.  In fact no one is who they were 1,000 years ago  But I'm sure you know all that.  (coff,coff)

Take something for that cold, it might be catching.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Cavebear on October 18, 2017, 07:45:11 AM
Well, the modern national borders don't have a whole lot to do with the genetic ones.  The southern French are sort of Italian, the western French are sort of Spanish, and the Northern French are sort of German.  Of course, that means all those other people are sort of French.

I understand why because the Visigoths, the Franks and the Vandals weren't paying attention to current national borders before  they were established (how could they) .  And the Italians aren't Romans.  In fact no one is who they were 1,000 years ago  But I'm sure you know all that.  (coff,coff) 

Except for (wait for it...) the Mongols. They are always the exception.

(Actually quite a few exceptions, but not many in Europe. The Scots/Irish are first to come to mind, then possibly the Bulgarians and Croats...)
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on October 18, 2017, 08:31:09 PM
Except for (wait for it...) the Mongols. They are always the exception.

(Actually quite a few exceptions, but not many in Europe. The Scots/Irish are first to come to mind, then possibly the Bulgarians and Croats...)

The Irish are the Celts the Goths drove off the mainland, the Welsh may be the last of the Picts, the Scots (Scotti) were a people driven West by the Romans.  The Franks settled in what is now France, The Visigoths settled in Spain, and the Vandals are the ancestors of modern Italians.  The only modern day "Romans" might be the Sicilians, but I'm not sure.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!